Propeller or jet to push an in-line skater?

Old July 23rd 10, 11:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
John Doe[_4_]

Default Propeller or jet to push an in-line skater?

Jim Yanik wrote:

(John Clear) wrote in
John Doe wrote:

How far-fetched is the idea, to use a propeller or jet engine
(radio controlled type?) to push an in-line skater? How does
aircraft takeoff thrust compare to using a conventional motor
and wheel to push oneself along the ground? What sort of
incline would be achievable at say a skater weight of about
160 pounds? I think the rolling resistance can be assumed to
be zero or maybe the same as a small aircraft.

Years ago (maybe late 1990s) one of those 'whacky invention'
type TV shows featured a guy with jet engines mounted on the
tails of his skis. No need for a chair lift, he'd just ski
uphill.

So it has been done, just make sure your life insurance is paid
up.

how did he -not- fall on his behind? get on some skates,tie a
rope to your ankles,and have someone tow you,and see if you can
stay upright. You need the center of pressure to be in the
center of your mass.

Ideally, Yes. Also, putting a motor on skates weighs it down and
destroys most of the quality of skating. However, I have put a
motor on my skates, powering the center two wheels on one skate,
and it worked very well propulsion wise. The problem was with the
weight and the motor being too close to the ground.
Old July 28th 10, 09:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.homebuilt
David E. Powell

On Jul 21, 8:57*pm, John Doe wrote:
How far-fetched is the idea, to use a propeller or jet engine
(radio controlled type?) to push an in-line skater? How does
aircraft takeoff thrust compare to using a conventional motor and
wheel to push oneself along the ground? What sort of incline would
be achievable at say a skater weight of about 160 pounds? I think
the rolling resistance can be assumed to be zero or maybe the same
as a small aircraft.

Anybody know about Everglades/marsh air powered boats? Maybe I
should do a little research on that one.

One thing for sure, if there ever is such a thing as a jetpack, it
will very easily push an in-line skater before it will lift a
person off of the ground.

Thanks.

--
(Crossposted, please feel free to remove the other group)

One thing is for sure it can't be too high or low relative to center
of gravity.
Old July 28th 10, 09:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.homebuilt
John Doe[_4_]

"David E. Powell" David_Powell3006 msn.com wrote:

One thing is for sure it can't be too high or low relative to
center of gravity.

That may be less critical than you think. Propeller propulsion
would be the freest form since it would not depend on the ground,
the full benefit of skating depends on freedom of movement. Push
stick based propulsion (a bulky prototype is currently being used
here) is stable, even when being pushed from knee level. I get a
third wheel effect, and stroking with my legs is not required.
Pushing/stroking is a HUGE source of instability while inline
street skating.

Just push the blue button! Darkwing Piloting 71 October 20th 08 04:12 PM
PUSH START stanley adelson Aviation Photos 0 July 15th 08 01:16 AM
Push to Talk Switch Jackal24 Piloting 23 December 26th 04 10:01 PM
Question about center-line push-pull engine configuration Shin Gou Home Built 4 June 7th 04 05:57 PM
Young Eagles push (USA) John H. Campbell Soaring 0 September 22nd 03 03:48 PM