Glider Collections

Old February 20th 14, 04:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Robert M

Default Glider Collections

I own the only H121 Globetrotter. It is an Ursula Hanle design. Two place side by side. It was designed to be fully aerobatic.

I also own the only Antonov A-15 that I know of in the Western Heisphere. There are 3 others flying or flyable that I know of. One in Lithuania, one in Germany, and one in either Hungary or the Czech Republic. Mine is an 18M version.

Robert Mudd
Moriarty, NM
Old February 20th 14, 10:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

When Steve finishes that ASW-12 I may have to make a pilgrimage from Vancouver to see it. I had been daydreaming about someday buying it since the first year I went soaring. I suppose that if I ever sell my ASW-15b I'll have to replace it with my second choice: an ASW-17. All that time spent practicing no airbrake, forward slip spot landings wasted :-)

Seriously, it's good to know the last 12 made is in the hands of someone who will appreciate it and restore it to it's former glory.

As for collections, well one member of my club owns a Grunau Baby and a Fauvel (also working on a Cessna 195 when he has time) but that's about it.
Old February 20th 14, 12:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Munk

At 04:31 20 February 2014, Robert M wrote:
I own the only H121 Globetrotter. It is an Ursula Hanle design. Two place
side by side. It was designed to be fully aerobatic.

I also own the only Antonov A-15 that I know of in the Western Heisphere.
There are 3 others flying or flyable that I know of. One in Lithuania,

one
in Germany, and one in either Hungary or the Czech Republic. Mine is an

18M
version.

Robert Mudd
Moriarty, NM

There's one in Norway under restoration to fly.

Old February 21st 14, 04:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas

The legendary made-in-the-USA Arlington (designed by Leonard Niemi) Sisu 1A production #10 is airworthy and flying at Marfa, Texas. Beside the prototype, only 10 were built and the Sisu 1A is often acknowledged as the most significant sailplane ever designed and built in the USA.

This Sisu 1A at Marfa is owned by Steve Parker, son of Alvin Parker, who made the first-ever in the world 1000+ km flight in a Sisu in 1964 (50 years ago this summer from Odessa, Texas to Kimball, Nebraska.) That record-setting sailplane is the Sisu that is displayed aloft in the Smithsonian Air & Space Hazy Center near Dulles, Virginia. The Sisu at Marfa was arranged as a replacement for the Parker family. It is hangared and in excellent condition. It is very inspiring for me to fly along with it in the Marfa skies as it is very distinctive with the V-tail, it always reminds me of the many Sisu cover photos from the SOARING magazines of the sixties.

Also hangared and airworthy in Marfa is my collection (only 6), including my Dad's Schempp-Hirth 17.7 meter Open Cirrus (first flew at Marfa in "The Sun Ship Game" contest in 1969), my S-H Standard Cirrus, my hot-rockin' DG-1000T, a nicely restored Schleicher ASK-13 that I trailer to the vintage sailplane meets, my new ASK-21 for training and checkrides and my only US sailplane, a very yellow Schweizer 1-36 "Sprite" formerly owned by Bob Ball and a blast to fly.

Next to my hangar "museum" on Marfa Airport is the bronze plaque for the 15th National Landmark of Soaring, dedicated in 2008 by the National Soaring Museum. (My hangar wall is full of memorabilia from the soaring activities at Marfa since 1960.) What reunion of legendary pilots that was! George Moffat, Ben Greene, "Big John" Brittingham, Johnny Byrd, Ed Byars, Bill Holbrook, Dick Johnson, Rob Buck, Bill Snead, Steve Parker, Neil Muxworthy, Bob Bowden and many more pilots and sons of pilots (formerly the crews), made the long journey to the landmark dedication at my hangar on the edge of nowhere in west Texas. But that's another story, and you can look it up in the SSA website SOARING 2008 magazine archives. My point: Sometimes it is not just the sailplanes, but also the names in the logbooks.
Old February 21st 14, 04:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

The Australian Gliding Museum in Bacchus Marsh near Melbourne has a few, although mostly of earlier vintage. Here is a page with the Display Sheets:

http://australianglidingmuseum.org.a...=15& Itemid=3

Regards
Jarek

Old February 21st 14, 03:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas

Anyone know where the two ASW-12's of Ben Greene and Wally Scott are now located?
Both pilots shared the record 1153 km distance flight in July, 1970 out of Odessa, Texas. These gentlemen timed their landing touchdown at the same moment to share the record!

Also, Jeff Byard, Doug Fronius and friends have a nice collection of classic and vintage sailplanes at Tehachapi, California. I trailered my ASK-13 from Marfa out there last May for their annual Memorial Day weekend rally. Great fun sharing thermals with those graceful wood and fabric sailplanes..

See the VSA website vintagesailplane.org for info on upcoming events and join VSA for an excellent and colorful magazine. There are more restored vintage and classic sailplanes flying today than 10 years ago and the fleet is growing.
Old February 21st 14, 04:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

On Friday, February 21, 2014 9:45:01 AM UTC-6, Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas wrote:
Anyone know where the two ASW-12's of Ben Greene and Wally Scott are now located? Both pilots shared the record 1153 km distance flight in July, 1970 out of Odessa, Texas. These gentlemen timed their landing touchdown at the same moment to share the record!

Ben's belongs to Tom Kennedy. Went through substantial mods when owned by Wil Schuemann. Not sure where it is, as registration has expired. Wally's is now in the museum at the Wasserkuppe.
Old February 21st 14, 06:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

The Ag Wagon that I fly two days per week at Moriarty is the same one that I
towed behind at Marfa in 1988 when it was owned and flown by Bill Shurley.

"Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas" wrote in
message ...

Old February 21st 14, 07:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

Back to the original question. Kevin played 4 card draw. Tony played 5 cards. Go Soaring played 5 cards. Burt Compton played his 6, but two were quite new. So, maybe he played 4?

OK, I will play what I think are my top 5. All fit the original '65 to '75 manufacture time.

Prototype HP-14. Last homebuilt sailplane to win the US Nationals (1966, Reno).
AS-W12, serial 15. Last one built.
BS1, serial 12. Nothing special in its history, but Big and Bad.
Kestrel 401 serial 32. Started off 17 meters, was cut down to 15, then later returned to 17 meters.
Glasflugel 604, serial 8. Winner 1978 US Nationals, flown by AJ Smith.

I could do an all wood hand, too. Have Old Dog Walters old Ka-8.

I know. He who dies with the most toys still dies. :-)

Steve