Encrypted Flarmnet files and 3rd party software

Old March 20th 15, 11:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Karl Kunz[_2_]

Default Encrypted Flarmnet files and 3rd party software

So how do those of us that can no longer use it remove or info from they database?

=
leeching off of. Of course you can still do that, but will need to
associat=
e the Flarm ID with the pilot in your head, since that will be all that

is
=
displayed.

This seems like a step backwards for those who's paranoia has not

gotten
th=
e better of them. I'm not sure what he solution is, but at least one near
t=
erm one would be to encourage everyone to re-register on a 3rd part

sight,
=
and recreate the old style Flarmnet database which would continue to be
usa=
ble in existing PDA and (perhaps) display head firmware. Anyone

concerned
a=
bout being tracked would not need to register.=20

Does anyone else see this as a step forward? Is my understanding of

this
in=
correct?

Open Glider DB:
http://live.glidernet.org/db/

It is up to you, consumers to decide what system wins!

Regards
Wolf
http://youtu.be/aQUB7erVIKw

So the OGN database is a replacement for the Flarmnet database? I can load it into my SYM or Winpilot and leech freely?

Old March 23rd 15, 07:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]

Confirming that after upgrading the butterfly display to 3.4 and downloading the new encrypted flarmnet file, the contest number are no longer visible. Must be a bug.

Ramy
Old March 23rd 15, 09:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, March 20, 2015 at 2:28:18 AM UTC+1, jfitch wrote:
On Thursday, March 19, 2015 at 6:15:06 PM UTC-7, Wolf Aviator wrote:
At 18:31 19 March 2015, jfitch wrote:
I think this merits its own thread. Due to legal concerns, Flarmnet has
enc=
rypted their files, and as I understand it most displays including the
Butt=
erfly will no longer show pilot or glider information. This is separate
fro=
m the opt in/out of tracking as I understand it.

I liked the ability to see who was flying the glider I was about to run
int=
o, or at least was opposite me in the circle. Also whether they were

worth
=
[...]

Well, not yet, but we can easily generate the file in the format of the "old" flarmnet (if needed). However, unlike FlarmNet OGN db does not intent to store any "personal" data such as "owner name" in order to avoid privacy complains in the future. OGN db is just making association between deviceid(flarm id, ogn tracker id, icao address) and aicraft type,cn & reg number

Cheers
Wojtek
Old March 23rd 15, 03:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Monday, March 23, 2015 at 12:07:37 AM UTC-7, Ramy wrote:
Confirming that after upgrading the butterfly display to 3.4 and downloading the new encrypted flarmnet file, the contest number are no longer visible. Must be a bug.

Ramy

Ramy, I don't think a bug. This is the consequence of the encryption and tracking concerns. Butterfly tech support told me that's the way it is for now. Which sucks, frankly.
Old March 23rd 15, 04:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

Ramy, I don't think a bug. This is the consequence of the encryption and tracking concerns. Butterfly tech support told me that's the way it is for now. Which sucks, frankly.

Kind of takes away any reason for signing up to FLARMnet I guess... Did you ask if the other info (eg., air-to-air frequency, aerodrome of origination, etc) is still available?

Dan
2D
Old March 23rd 15, 05:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]

This doesn't make any sense. The whole point of flarmnet, as well as the recent upgrade to the butterfly display was to support the new encrypted flarmnet so it doesn't make sense that this is by design.
For now best thing to do is downgrade the butterfly display to previous version and use an older unencrypted copy of flarmnet.
These silly privacy concerns are only causing a mess.

Ramy
Old March 23rd 15, 06:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bryan Searle

At 17:22 23 March 2015, Ramy wrote:
This doesn't make any sense. The whole point of flarmnet, as well as the
recent upgrade to the butterfly display was to support the new encrypted
flarmnet so it doesn't make sense that this is by design.
For now best thing to do is downgrade the butterfly display to previous
version and use an older unencrypted copy of flarmnet.
These silly privacy concerns are only causing a mess.

Ramy

I have just downloaded the flarmnet.fln file, I used Flarmnet-lookup
(python script) to see the records and all the information is there apart
from the pilot's name. This seems fairly reasonable, one can find this
information if you want. Enjoy!

Old March 23rd 15, 09:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]

This would be fine, but the problem is that the call sign is not showing as well, unless they fixed it recently.
I still dont get the privacy thing, why removing the pilot name? If the pilot does not want to provide their name they wouldn't, if they do than why removing it?

Ramy
Old March 23rd 15, 09:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

I don't get it either, since once you have the tail number or contest number (or IACO number) the owner at least is a very simple public database lookup. That isn't necessarily the pilot, but in gliders it is a very high correlation.
Old March 24th 15, 02:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter von Tresckow

jfitch wrote:
I don't get it either, since once you have the tail number or contest
number (or IACO number) the owner at least is a very simple public
database lookup. That isn't necessarily the pilot, but in gliders it is a
very high correlation.

This is mostly a German privacy thing. Over there they don't have a
publicly available registration DB. German privacy law is way more strict
than anything here in the US

Pete

PF Portable and Flarmnet Andy[_1_] Soaring 0 October 5th 12 02:55 PM
FlarmNet Brad[_2_] Soaring 6 August 26th 12 06:35 PM
Last Call -- Pool Party Tomorrow; HOPS party on Wednesday in OSH Jay Honeck[_2_] Owning 4 August 7th 08 09:42 PM
Last Call -- Pool Party Tomorrow; HOPS party on Wednesday in OSH Jay Honeck[_2_] Piloting 3 August 5th 08 01:16 AM
Last Call -- Pool Party Tomorrow; HOPS party on Wednesday in OSH Jay Honeck[_2_] Home Built 3 August 5th 08 01:16 AM