Real GPS with flight simulator

Old February 6th 04, 09:06 PM
Sam Body

Default Real GPS with flight simulator

Is it possible to have a flight simulator (MS or X-plane) to send the
simulated position to the serial port (MNEA phrases) in such a way
that a real handheld GPS would show that sane position on it's screen.
This would enhance the learning experience a lot.
One could set the flight plan on the GPS and fly it on the simulator.
Any ideas?
T h a n k y o u !
Old February 6th 04, 09:25 PM
Melchior FRANZ

* Sam Body -- Friday 06 February 2004 21:06:
Is it possible to have a flight simulator (MS or X-plane) to send the
simulated position to the serial port (MNEA phrases) in such a way
that a real handheld GPS would show that sane position on it's screen.

Haven't tried it, but I think this works in FlightGear:
http://www.flightgear.org/
FlightGear is licensed under the GPL (GNU public license) and can be
downloaded for free, together with the whole source code (optionally).
It works under MICROS~1 Windows, Linux, IRIX, Mac OS X, ...

Screenshots under http://www.flightgear.org/Gallery/ and
http://www.simscreens.net/index.php?...egories&sim=14

From the README.IO file:

| Serial Port Communication:
|
| --nmea=serial,dir,hz,device,baud
|
| device = OS device name of serial line to be open()'ed
| baud = {300, 1200, 2400, ..., 230400}
|
| example to pretend we are a real gps and output to a moving map application:
|
| --nmea=serial,out,0.5,COM1,4800
|
| Note that for unix varients you might use a device name like "/dev/ttyS0"

m.
Old February 6th 04, 10:39 PM
Melchior FRANZ

* Melissa -- Friday 06 February 2004 22:33:
On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 21:25:09 +0100, Melchior FRANZ wrote:
http://www.flightgear.org/

Though I'm very happy with Microsoft FS2004, out of curiosity, I've
installed FlightGear in both WinXP and Mandrake 9.2 (I have two hard
drives in this computer, with each OS having its own drive).
[...]
I can't get FlightGear to work in either OS. In Linux,
when I run FlightGear, I'm faced with an instrument panel (just
illuminated "outlines" of the guages over a black background,

If it doesn't work on both systems, then I suspect problems with
the graphics card. I don't remember having seen any similar bug
report. I suggest to subscribe to the users mailing list and to ask
there. The developers are very helpful! Sorry that I can't tell
you a solution. :-/

m.
Old February 14th 04, 07:24 PM
Nikola Gidalov

Hi Sam,

Maybe this is what you are looking for
http://www.schiratti.com/dowson.html

GPSout 2.55

With kind regards,
Nikola

om...

Old February 14th 04, 07:48 PM
Sam Body

Thank you for your responses!
Is there anything that works with x-plane (my favorite)?
So far we have flightgear: built in
MS FS: http://www.schiratti.com/dowson.html
x-plane: ?

Have simflying!
Old February 17th 04, 04:15 PM
Ken

Hey that's a great add on. I have a IPAQ and Tomtom GPS software .. is it
possible with this setup please?

Ken

"Nikola Gidalov" wrote in message
. nl...
Hi Sam,

Maybe this is what you are looking for
http://www.schiratti.com/dowson.html

GPSout 2.55

With kind regards,
Nikola

om...

Old February 17th 04, 04:30 PM
Greasy Rider

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 15:15:34 -0000, "Ken"
arranged phosphur particles on my screen with the following:

Hey that's a great add on. I have a IPAQ and Tomtom GPS software .. is it
possible with this setup please?

Ken

"Nikola Gidalov" wrote in message
.nl...
Hi Sam,

Maybe this is what you are looking for
http://www.schiratti.com/dowson.html

GPSout 2.55

With kind regards,
Nikola

"Sam Body" wrote in message
om...
Is it possible to have a flight simulator (MS or X-plane) to send the
simulated position to the serial port (MNEA phrases) in such a way
that a real handheld GPS would show that sane position on it's screen.
This would enhance the learning experience a lot.
One could set the flight plan on the GPS and fly it on the simulator.
Any ideas?
T h a n k y o u !

Why people top post is beyond me...

Ride Safe!

Greasy Rider
97 FLHTCi Lehman trike
50 Years in motorcyling!
Old February 17th 04, 06:27 PM
Ken

Purly because it saves loads of time to read the new message without
scrolling through loads of text.

Ken

"Greasy Rider" wrote in message
On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 15:15:34 -0000, "Ken"
arranged phosphur particles on my screen with the following:

Hey that's a great add on. I have a IPAQ and Tomtom GPS software .. is

it
possible with this setup please?

Ken

"Nikola Gidalov" wrote in message
.nl...
Hi Sam,

Maybe this is what you are looking for
http://www.schiratti.com/dowson.html

GPSout 2.55

With kind regards,
Nikola

om...

Old February 17th 04, 06:50 PM
Greasy Rider

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 17:27:14 -0000, "Ken"
arranged phosphur particles on my screen with the following:

Purly because it saves loads of time to read the new message without
scrolling through loads of text.

How difficult is it to snip the extraneous stuff and leave just what
you are responding to?

Answer: Because it interrupts the flow of the message..
Question: Why is top posting so confusing?