FAI Sailplane Grand Prix USA 2017 - Orlando - March 19-25

Old October 25th 16, 02:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrzej Kobus

Default FAI Sailplane Grand Prix USA 2017 - Orlando - March 19-25

We need more guys voting for 18 m class. Come on guys get out of sofas and vote. It is election time!
Old October 25th 16, 03:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

On Monday, October 24, 2016 at 8:52:59 PM UTC-5, Andrzej Kobus wrote:
We need more guys voting for 18 m class. Come on guys get out of sofas and vote. It is election time!

I wonder how many of the voters would fly either class and how many will only fly if its one or the other.

right now i would probably only participate if its 18 meter.
Old October 25th 16, 01:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Monday, October 24, 2016 at 9:52:59 PM UTC-4, Andrzej Kobus wrote:
Come on guys get out of sofas and vote. It is election time!

I'll choose Tiffany over Sean every time.
Old October 26th 16, 02:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean[_2_]

On Tuesday, October 25, 2016 at 8:15:22 AM UTC-4, Dave Nadler wrote:
On Monday, October 24, 2016 at 9:52:59 PM UTC-4, Andrzej Kobus wrote:
Come on guys get out of sofas and vote. It is election time!

I'll choose Tiffany over Sean every time.

Dave, that really hurts. :-)

Tiffany says hi.
Old October 26th 16, 02:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean[_2_]

On Monday, October 24, 2016 at 9:52:59 PM UTC-4, Andrzej Kobus wrote:
We need more guys voting for 18 m class. Come on guys get out of sofas and vote. It is election time!

So the voting is really close. Thanks to all who have taken the time to vote.

20 votes for 18 (45%)
24 votes for 15 (55%)

This is probably within the margin of error. I also assume that at least some of the 15m gliders can also fly 18. It is also clear that the 15m is the preferred class at this time, although there are far more 15m glider than 18. It will be a hard decision to make.

Please make sure you vote is in. Only a few more days until I make the call with Rich Owen and the FAI gang.

Thanks.

Sean
7T
Old October 28th 16, 04:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean[_2_]

24 hours until we open the FAI SGP USA website and registration.

Thanks to all of you who have responded to the poll.

Sean
Old November 2nd 16, 01:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

What is the webpage? Can only find stuff on The Facebook that is not very useful...
Old November 2nd 16, 03:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean[_2_]

Hello,

I am working on the new 2017 FAI SGP USA - Orlando website now. It takes awhile for me to "ramp up" from the blank shell CMS that we get from the FAI organizers.

The URL for the FAI SGP USA 2017 event website is: www.sgp.aero/usa2017.aspx

The content we have added so far is mainly in staging, so there is not much to see at this time.

I do have two important announcements:

1) MOVING EVENT BACK ONE WEEK! The new official dates are March 26-April 1, 2017. Reason, starting the event 2 days after the seniors was simply to ambitious and too tiring on the staff. Also many like to stay and fly OLC after the Seniors and this gives everyone some time to relax.

2) After struggling for several weeks, I have made a decision on what class we will officially compete in... 18 METER CLASS

Thanks to everyone who participated in the SGP USA "15m or 18m" poll and for the numerous phone conversations about this subject. My reasoning (and the reasoning of many others) ended up being that it was "fairest" to all competition pilots to simply alternate annually between 18 and 15. Last year, the event was held in 15 meter. Many 18m only pilots wanted to participate but could not. So this year the 18 meter folks will get their chance. Perhaps 20m would be a good choice at some point in the future. We may invite five 20m gliders for an exhibition event during the main 18m event (starting 15 minutes after the 18). More on this soon. Hopefully some other SSA Grand Prix events are scheduled soon in order to provide more North American sailplane pilots an opportunity to actually experience sailplane racing! It is really, REALLY fun!

That said, 15 meter gliders are VERY welcome to participate in SGP USA 2017.. As we all know, the 1-2% advantage that 18m gliders supposedly "enjoy" is often hard to realize or notice. A 15m sailplane can easily compete and win against 18m ships. Just ask Sarah Arnold, Rick Indrebo or Mark Keene among others. This is especially true at the very low wingloading that we will equalize the field at; around 9lbs/ft or perhaps slightly less. I know that 18m is not an ideal scenario for the 15m "only" folks but please feel welcomed and encouraged to register and compete. If you want to race in SGP USA, you should do it, regardless of 15 or 18 meter, IMHO. Or maybe you can borrow/rent a glider from one of the 18m boys who will be down at the Seniors.

Additional details on FAI SGP USA 2017 registration, fee's, payment deadlines, qualification process (US Ranking), etc., will not be ready until tomorrow. I will make another announcement here once that content is complete and published.

Facebook. Correct, the SGP USA Facebook page has not been updated much since the Ionia, MI event wrapped up this summer. Sorry about that. The good news is that it will be ramping up again in the next day. So will Twitter, YouTube, etc in the coming weeks.

I will NOT be updating RAS regularly. Please do not rely on RAS for updates on FAI SGP USA.

Please check the FAI SGP USA website and especially the FAI SGP USA Facebook page for updates. If you "like" the SGP USA Facebook page (link below), you will receive automatic updates in your Facebook notifications (whenever you log in) when we post news, photo's, video's, announcements, etc. Facebook may be the best way to keep yourself informed.

LINK to FAI SGP USA 2017's Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/FAISailplaneGrandPrixUSA/

Sincerely,

Sean Fidler
2017 FAI SGP USA Event Manager
Old November 8th 16, 04:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean[_2_]

FAI SGP USA Orlando REGISTRATION IS NOW OPEN.

Please read this short note on procedure first: http://www.sgp.aero/usa2017/news_add...tion-open.aspx

When ready to register, this is the official form: http://www.sgp.aero/usa2017/event-in...ontestID=28480

Feel free to contact me with any questions you have.

Thanks and we are looking forward to another great event (even better!).

Sincerely,

Sean
7T
FAI SGP USA Orlando Manager
Old January 20th 17, 05:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

***SGP USA Orlando Update***

We are up to 10 pilots registered including Jon Gatfield from GBR. Thank you pilots!

We have several other foreign pilots looking to borrow or trade for competitive 18m gliders. Please contact me if you are interested ).

Our current SGP USA 2017 Orlando pilot list can be viewed he http://www..sgp.aero/usa2017.aspx
along with all other information on registration, etc.

I expect 2-3 more bookings before the end of January (currently twisting my Canadian friend's collective arms here in Benalla), and I am hopeful that we will get up to the 15-16 pilot level by the weeks leading up to the event. We are entirely satisfied with 12-13 gliders. 15-16 is great, and any more are a bonus! Our absolute max limit is 20.

Please register as early as possible to help us with planning.

Sincerely,

Sean & Tiffany Fidler
SGP USA Organizer's

Rich Owen