Average OLC flown distance by glider

Old January 17th 17, 03:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jacopo Romei

Default Average OLC flown distance by glider

Hello everybody,

as a newbie, I often find myself wondering
- how far a specific glider can be pushed
- how far a specific glider can be pushed by *its* average pilot

The second point is very important because, as obvious as it may sound, no glider "gets there" alone and it surely must be matched by a pilot with related skills.

By the way, end-to-end, I thought that crunching & aggregating some yearly OLC data, I could find a relevant answer.

As of today, on gliderreview.com every glider is shown along with its average flight lenght in the previous year. That allows for anyone to get both information: how far is any glider usually flown and, most important, how far outside of my comfort zone any glider is.

Sure this is based on OLC-uploaded flights only, but still any statistics is based on sampling and OLC to me is a quite reliable and representative data population. In other words: crunching 14 thousands flights will be enough for me to get the idea. ;-)

Enjoy!

--
Jacopo
Old January 17th 17, 04:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

On Tuesday, January 17, 2017 at 9:32:44 AM UTC-6, Jacopo Romei wrote:
[...]

i'll be sure to quit posting my short flights then
Old January 17th 17, 04:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jacopo Romei

Ahahah no! You could induce a rookie like me to buy a glider like yours!!! ;-)

Old January 17th 17, 05:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ian[_2_]

On 17/01/2017 17:32, Jacopo Romei wrote:

Sure this is based on OLC-uploaded flights only, but still any
statistics is based on sampling and OLC to me is a quite reliable and
representative data population. In other words: crunching 14
thousands flights will be enough for me to get the idea. ;-)

Cool!

But how did you manage to download 14000 flights from OLC? I thought
they had "data mining" restrictions, or have these been relaxed?

Of more interest to me if I were buying a glider is the average hours
flown per year since new for the mark. If you come across a glider that
is either tricky to fly, tricky to maintain, or just not that much fun
to fly, it is likely to have lower hours. Your average K21 is likely to
have flown a lot...

Old January 17th 17, 06:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

On Tuesday, January 17, 2017 at 10:32:44 AM UTC-5, Jacopo Romei wrote:
[...]

That put a smile on my face. I'd never have thought to do this.

Can you post as well the longest OLC flight for any given model? I think that would be even more entertaining.

best,
Evan Ludeman / T8
(ASW-20s rule :-))

Old January 17th 17, 07:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jacopo Romei

Ian,

since new for the mark

Ehr... what does it mean?

Maybe you mean for the single *specific* glider on a per mark basis?
Old January 17th 17, 07:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jacopo Romei

Can you post as well the longest OLC flight for any given model? I think that would be even more entertaining.

Coming down the pipeline:
- longest flight
- average flight year by year in the past: if a glider 10 years ago had a longer average this could mean lower prices today *because of the pilots flying it*, not because of inherent technical limits.

Stay tuned!

P.S. I need reviews guys! ;-) http://www.gliderreview.com/write-a-review
Old January 17th 17, 07:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jacopo Romei

But how did you manage to download 14000 flights from OLC? I thought
they had "data mining" restrictions, or have these been relaxed?

They let you download a spreadsheet. Then projection are computed as a single batch and stored.
Old January 17th 17, 08:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike C

On Tuesday, January 17, 2017 at 12:16:51 PM UTC-7, Jacopo Romei wrote:
Can you post as well the longest OLC flight for any given model? I think that would be even more entertaining.

Coming down the pipeline:
- longest flight
- average flight year by year in the past: if a glider 10 years ago had a longer average this could mean lower prices today *because of the pilots flying it*, not because of inherent technical limits.

Stay tuned!

P.S. I need reviews guys! ;-) http://www.gliderreview.com/write-a-review

The Mini Nimbus is not there unfortunately.

Mike
Old January 17th 17, 09:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

I think he means "marque" as in "specific model" like a mini Nimbus.