Oudie starved for power

Old February 19th 17, 04:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.

Default Oudie starved for power

Help!

I run my Oudie from my V7 so that it gets all the flarm data from my Flarm Core. Unfortunately it tends to run out of battery power towards the end of the flight, even though the V7 is supplying juice.

I measure the current draw of the Oudie in this setup and it came in around 160ma. I then plugged it into the Colibri II connection I have a s a GPS backup, and it then drew 360ma. The red charging light also came on. I moved it back to the V7 and the charging light went back to green and current again dropped to 160ma.

Conclusion: V7 output is current limited and starving the Oudie in flight.

Solution: so what I need is power from the Colibri II power supply, but data from the V7. Anyone ever done this? I could make some funky splitter cable, but I am worried about ground loops between the V7 and the Colibri II power supply.

Any suggestions or experience solving this problem?

Thanks,

Matt
Old February 19th 17, 06:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ross[_3_]

On Sunday, 19 February 2017 17:14:52 UTC+1, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:
[...]

Try K6-team.de
Hans Georg will make you what you need, or better still, I think it is called "anschlussboard Mini"
Has it's own power supply and doesn't draw off the other instruments
Old February 19th 17, 06:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Ferguson[_2_]

Think you need to get the V7 checked out as I've run an Oudie from both a
V7 and an S80, both varios supply enough power to charge the Oudie without
problem.

John

=

Old February 20th 17, 04:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Funston

On Sunday, February 19, 2017 at 10:30:05 AM UTC-8, John Ferguson wrote:
[...]

Matt,

I had exactly the same issue. The V7 power output to the PDA is limited to 1A which is less than the power consumption of the Oudie with the screen at full bright. I made a power supply out of the stock powered Oudie data cable. Here's a link to how it was set up.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/15qwaepsnk...20v.3.pdf?dl=0

It runs directly off the ship power and provides plenty of juice to keep the Oudie topped off.

Craig
7Q
Old February 20th 17, 04:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Funston

On Sunday, February 19, 2017 at 8:46:41 PM UTC-8, Craig Funston wrote:
[...]

BTW I did try a cheap Chinese 12v to 5v power converter, but it was so noisy electrically it broke squelch on the radio. The Oudie power supply is much quieter and has worked flawlessly.

Old February 20th 17, 05:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sunday, February 19, 2017 at 8:52:08 PM UTC-8, Craig Funston wrote:
[...]

Updated link

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vgr0jemf0p...20v.3.pdf?dl=0
Old February 20th 17, 03:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.

[...]

Thanks Craig

I am using that Oudie power supply to run the Colibri II in flight. I am hoping I can run both devices off that same supply which would make the cable described, quite a bit different. FYI, I also found this supply (shipped with Oudie) to be quite noisy electrically, to the point where I was seeing drop-outs on my flarm flight traces. I put a bunch f ferrites on various lines and the problem went away. Most switching supplies are noisy beasts....

Old February 20th 17, 05:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Funston

On Monday, February 20, 2017 at 7:36:17 AM UTC-8, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:
[...]

Thanks Matt,

It's really interesting to hear you've had drop-outs on your FLARM traces. I've experienced the same, but would have never thought to attribute it to a noisy power supply. Where did you put your ferrites to solve the FLARM drop-out problem?

If you've got 5v coming from the supply to the Colibri it should be easy to tap that and connect to the points shown on the photo. The data wiring doesn't go through the board on my harness. It happens inside the shrink tube ahead of the 5v board connection. I'm just using the board to get a 5v power supply.

Craig
Old February 20th 17, 07:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Ferguson[_2_]

The S7/V7 should run your Oudie without a problem, the power supply from
the S7 to a PDA is rated at 2 amps.

This is a cut and paste from the LX Nav web site

PDA port input/output on RS232 or TTL level for PDA/PNA devices with 5V
power supply (8 pin RJ 45, 5V output max 2A)

http://www.lxnav.com/products/lxnav-varios/s7.html

Old February 20th 17, 08:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.

Craig,

I will have to take a look on the panel next time I have it open. I think I ended up with three broadband Ferrite filters; one on the Oudie cable, one on the Switching PS, and I think one on the PowerFlarm power cable. Have to confirm though. You can sum it up as the "shotgun" approach.

Matt

OUDIE [email protected] Soaring 31 November 5th 16 03:19 PM
Oudie 5.19 Bug Lauren Soaring 3 June 4th 14 06:57 PM
Power FLARM power Andy[_1_] Soaring 9 June 6th 12 12:38 AM
Oudie Steve Hunt Soaring 2 July 8th 11 12:19 AM
Power setting table and best economy/best power... xerj Piloting 29 October 20th 05 02:44 AM