Where can you get empty caulking gun tubes...

Old July 21st 03, 12:59 PM
Jerry Wass

Default Where can you get empty caulking gun tubes...

Howdy Bart--
I also have some 1" i.d. silicone radiator hose in 3ft lengths, if you
haven't allready purchased the S.S. braided stuff-----You are using the
teflon lined for the fuel lines
& not the neoprene stuff aren't you?--Jerry

"Bart D. Hull" wrote:

to dispense vinylester - mill fiber mixture in a even and fast manner to
close out my top wing skins with no leaks in the tanks.

I have heard about using plastic bags with the end cut off but I'm going
to need to move alot of mixture in a short period.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

--
Bart D. Hull

Tempe,Arizona

Check
http://www.inficad.com/~bdhull/engine.html for my Subaru Engine
Conversion
Check http://www.inficad.com/~bdhull/fuselage.html for Tango II I'm
building.

Old July 21st 03, 05:38 PM
RobertR237

In article , "Bart D. Hull"
writes:

to dispense vinylester - mill fiber mixture in a even and fast manner to
close out my top wing skins with no leaks in the tanks.

I have heard about using plastic bags with the end cut off but I'm going
to need to move alot of mixture in a short period.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

--
Bart D. Hull

Tempe,Arizona

I used plastic cake decorating bags which worked great. Before starting, I
measured the adhesive quantities into plastic cups and set aside the flox to go
into each mix. Had everything ready before mixing the first batch.

I mixed one batch of just adhesive (No flox) and let my wife paint it on the
bond areas to wet them out while I mixed the adhesive/flox batchs. Mixed one
batch at a time, placed the mix into cake decorating bag and used snap-tie to
tie off the top. If you place the cake decorating bag into a tall plastic cup
and open it up it is very easy to pour/scrap the mix into it. I would pour the
mix into the bag, shake it down and tie of the top, Cut the end and lay down a
thick bead on top of the wet adhesive.

It took just the two of us, my wife and I to do the entire wing close out in 40
minutes. I believe this is easier and faster than trying to use the tubes.

Bob Reed

"Ladies and Gentlemen, take my advice,
(M.A.S.H. Sidney Freedman)

Old July 21st 03, 06:19 PM
Veeduber

I have heard about using plastic bags with the end cut off but I'm going
to need to move alot of mixture in a short period.

Dear Bart (and the Group),

If the 1-gallon Ziploc's aren't big enought (kinda hard to believe...) then
find a hardware store that caters to masons and buy yourself a couple of
'baker's bags.' Same idea as for decorating a cake but on an industrial scale;
used for accurately placing/dispensing mortor, filled epoxies, high-viscosity
urethanes, etc.

I believe you'll find the weak link in using caulk-gun tubes is filling the
things. With ziploc's and baker's bags you can do the mixing IN THE BAG, be
ready to place even fast-cure compounds as soon as the mix is uniform.

(Never used a baker's bag? Squeeze out all the air, hold it closed, give it an
easy spin... not too tight... then snip the corner according the size/shape of
bead you want to place. With a gallon-sized ziploc you can place about one
quart of mix; baker's bag can handle up to a full gallon. SOP for your
application, or applying 2-part sealant for riveted aluminum fuel tanks,
pontoon repairs, etc.)

-R.S.Hoover
Old July 22nd 03, 12:10 AM
Bart D. Hull

I'd be interested in seeing a pic of these.

Please send to .

Thanks
--
Bart D. Hull

Tempe,Arizona

Check
http://www.inficad.com/~bdhull/engine.html for my Subaru Engine
Conversion
Check http://www.inficad.com/~bdhull/fuselage.html for Tango II I'm
building.
Jerry Wass wrote:
How many do you want?/---I have a couple of hundred.----milky polyethylene
with
black plastic cup follower, nozzle end threaded --1/2" +- would have to
check exact
size---no nozzles, but could make one you could re-use. could send pic if
interested.
Jerry

Old July 22nd 03, 12:15 AM
Bart Hull

Bob,

Hadn't thought about how to fill the cartridges. (That's another helpers
job right?) I like the idea of the zip lock bags but would prefer the
consistency to be thicker than I can push easily. I always make quite
the mess with a "bakery bag" and end up pushing stuff out the top.

Thanks for the advice.

--
Bart D. Hull

Tempe,Arizona

Check
http://www.inficad.com/~bdhull/engine.html for my Subaru Engine
Conversion
Check http://www.inficad.com/~bdhull/fuselage.html for Tango II I'm
building.

Old July 22nd 03, 12:17 AM
Bart D. Hull

Richard,

Yep everything is vinylester and I think I'll stick with that. (Sorry
about the pun. ;-) ) I have even gone to the lengths of getting the
same type vinylester when I ran out of the first batch and the company
that sold my airplane kit was kaput.(At least they used a good resin.)

--
Bart D. Hull

Tempe, Arizona

Check
http://www.inficad.com/~bdhull/engine.html for my Subaru Engine
Conversion
Check http://www.inficad.com/~bdhull/fuselage.html for Tango II I'm
building.

Richard Riley wrote:

If you're doing something made of vinylester, you'll probably want to
stick with it, but I've used Pro-Set adhesive for that purpose and
love it. It comes in 2 tube sets, preratioed, with a special 2 tube
gun and a static mixing nozzle. Comes out like bright green hair
gell.

:

Old July 22nd 03, 01:28 AM
Blueskies

http://www.mcmaster.com/

Use search term "adhesive nozzle"

--
Dan D.

..

Old July 22nd 03, 02:12 AM
Ernest Christley

Veeduber wrote:

(Never used a baker's bag? Squeeze out all the air, hold it closed, give it an
easy spin... not too tight... then snip the corner according the size/shape of
bead you want to place. With a gallon-sized ziploc you can place about one
quart of mix; baker's bag can handle up to a full gallon. SOP for your
application, or applying 2-part sealant for riveted aluminum fuel tanks,
pontoon repairs, etc.)

-R.S.Hoover

Question: This can't be used for epoxy layups, can it? I'm thinking of
what happens when that much expoxy starts to exotherm.

--
----Because I can----
http://www.ernest.isa-geek.org/

Old July 22nd 03, 02:15 AM
RobertR237

In article , Bart Hull
writes:

Bob,

Hadn't thought about how to fill the cartridges. (That's another helpers
job right?) I like the idea of the zip lock bags but would prefer the
consistency to be thicker than I can push easily. I always make quite
the mess with a "bakery bag" and end up pushing stuff out the top.

Thanks for the advice.

I used to have the same problem with the cake bags. I couldn't hold the top
tight enough while squeezing and some of the mix would always squeeze out. I
finally tried twisting the top and using some of those plastic zip-ties to
close it off. Works great and nothing comes out the top.

Old July 22nd 03, 02:15 AM
RobertR237

In article ,
(Veeduber) writes:

[...]

I won't disagree with anything you have said but really would recommend using
multiple smaller bags instead. The problem with using large bags and large
batches is that the pot life of epoxy and adhesives is directly related to the
size of the batch. The large the quantity mixed, the faster the reaction and
the shorter the pot life.