Army Times shows pics of the fallen

Old December 31st 03, 06:10 PM
John Hairell

Default Army Times shows pics of the fallen

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 17:37:05 +0000 (UTC), Steven James Forsberg
wrote:

It is an interesting question. While I don't think there is a
"conspiracy" by the administration to prevent such media coverage, the
US media does indeed self-censor itself to a large extent.

The Washington Post (and other major media) within the last few weeks
had an article about the press being restricted from access to Dover
AFB, where mortuary flights come in.

While I wouldn't call it a conspiracy, it's interesting none the less.
When some government functionary makes some decision due to good
intentions, the results are often less than stellar. And it feeds the
conspiracy fringe elements...

[rest snipped]

John Hairell )
Old January 1st 04, 02:55 AM
BUFDRVR

The Washington Post (and other major media) within the last few weeks
had an article about the press being restricted from access to Dover
AFB, where mortuary flights come in.

While I wouldn't call it a conspiracy, it's interesting none the less.
When some government functionary makes some decision due to good
intentions, the results are often less than stellar. And it feeds the
conspiracy fringe elements...

[rest snipped]

Who began this media restriction Clinton or Bush? Hint....it wasn't Bush.
Interesting that its now being spun as a Bush initive, mostly by people who
know that's not the case.

BUFDRVR

everyone on Bear Creek"
Old January 2nd 04, 05:35 PM
Kevin Brooks

"John Hairell" wrote in message
On 01 Jan 2004 02:55:14 GMT, (BUFDRVR) wrote:

The Washington Post (and other major media) within the last few weeks
had an article about the press being restricted from access to Dover
AFB, where mortuary flights come in.

While I wouldn't call it a conspiracy, it's interesting none the less.
When some government functionary makes some decision due to good
intentions, the results are often less than stellar. And it feeds the
conspiracy fringe elements...

[rest snipped]

Who began this media restriction Clinton or Bush? Hint....it wasn't Bush.
Interesting that its now being spun as a Bush initive, mostly by people

who
know that's not the case.

Notice that I didn't put a spin on the info, i.e. who started the
policy. My main point was that a press restriction does exist, at
Dover and other places.

While DOD's interest is supposedly in helping the affected families,
and to not have photos pop up in the media "out of context", the end
result is that the US public does not see any photos of rows upon rows
of caskets coming back from Iraq.

Maybe because for the most part there are no "rows upon rows of caskets
coming back from Iraq". We are losing on average what, maybe one fatality
per day to hostile fire? Kind of hard to make one or two caskets fill "rows
upon rows". "Rows upon rows"...juts more hysterical and over-sensationalized
claptrap.

Brooks

John Hairell )

Old January 2nd 04, 11:20 PM
BUFDRVR

Notice that I didn't put a spin on the info, i.e. who started the
policy. My main point was that a press restriction does exist, at
Dover and other places.

No, your point (if you were the one that started the thread?) was to say that
the Bush administration was attempting to censor the news so that the public
doesn't get too upset at his "illegal war".

The problem is, the artical posted even mentions Clinton's role in instituting
the ban.

BUFDRVR

everyone on Bear Creek"
Old January 5th 04, 04:29 PM
John Hairell

On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 17:35:19 GMT, "Kevin Brooks"
wrote:

Maybe because for the most part there are no "rows upon rows of caskets
coming back from Iraq". We are losing on average what, maybe one fatality
per day to hostile fire? Kind of hard to make one or two caskets fill "rows
upon rows". "Rows upon rows"...juts more hysterical and over-sensationalized
claptrap.

What makes you think the bodies are brought back one at a time?
I've seen a recent photo taken at Dover which showed just what I said,
a row of caskets. Maybe not multiple rows, but one row is more than
one or two caskets.

BTW, I don't have an agenda, and I'm not taking a pro or anti-Bush
stand. All I was stating is that DOD does have an existing policy of
not letting caskets of U.S. casualties be photographed by the civilian
media as they enter CONUS. That's a fact, not a supposition.

BTW, I'm a veteran and not given to "hysterical and

Old January 5th 04, 08:33 PM
Kevin Brooks

wrote:

Maybe because for the most part there are no "rows upon rows of caskets
coming back from Iraq". We are losing on average what, maybe one fatality
per day to hostile fire? Kind of hard to make one or two caskets fill

"rows
upon rows". "Rows upon rows"...juts more hysterical and

over-sensationalized
claptrap.

What makes you think the bodies are brought back one at a time?
I've seen a recent photo taken at Dover which showed just what I said,
a row of caskets. Maybe not multiple rows, but one row is more than
one or two caskets.

So your "rows upon rows" was an admitted exaggeration. Fine.

Brooks

Old January 5th 04, 11:42 PM
Gene Storey

The body in a casket is copyright, so you'll have to ask the person inside
the casket for permission to use his image. Or his next of kin.

Then you'll have to pay residuals each time you play the photo.

Old January 6th 04, 05:08 PM

"Gene Storey" wrote:

The body in a casket is copyright, so you'll have to ask the person inside
the casket for permission to use his image. Or his next of kin.

His next of kin might object to being used though.
--

-Gord.