$75,000 2-33

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old March 13th 18, 05:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

Default $75,000 2-33

On Tuesday, March 13, 2018 at 8:48:15 AM UTC-5, ND wrote:

you want the answer why we still use them?

•because they are inexpensive to purchase, fly, and own
•there's a ****load of them here
•it's fun to hang out the rear window while a student flies
•we americans are a proud race, and they are american gliders (ok no but really, people here just like them) im intensely displeased at the lack of options when it comes to american made options.
•students beat on aircraft, and 2-33's are robust. (how many times has your club had to repair the nosewheel of a k-21?)

1. Not at $75k they aren't! (yeah, unique case, but you see any other 2-33 for sale?)
2. Not really - most of the 2-33s out there are really trash.
3. Yeah, that's what Soaring is all about! Try paragliding, you can hang everything out!
4. 'Murica. Nuff said. PS - Last time I was in France, Germany, Korea, Japan, the Philippines, or the UK, those guys were pretty proud too! And they seem OK with nice German Glass...
5. 2-33s are NOT more robust than K-21s. That's Fake News. They just don't require as much skill to land, and land slower (ie less energy). Funny how we have a problem in US breaking K-21 and G-103 nosewheels, yet nobody else seems to? Could that be because pilots trained in 2-33s are having problems transitioning to the extremely high performance Euro trainers? Naw, it couldn't be that simple...

It's interesting that our club (SLSA) seems to have evolved to almost the same financial and operational structure as the successful European clubs. We own all our assets (field, hangars, aircraft) outright, do our own maintenance, have work parties (although not as demanding as the Euros), and are working towards an all-glass fleet. Although we will keep our 1-26 (for the open canopy) and our K-13 (because: Wood!).

We do need a nicer clubhouse. Plotting underway...

Kirk