anyone interested in high-res performance charts?

Old October 18th 06, 07:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
buttman

Default anyone interested in high-res performance charts?

I'm in the process of vectorizing all the charts in the PA-28-161
Warrior III POH. I am mostly doing it to make it easier on me and my
students when reading them. The takeoff roll charts you almost need a
microscope to get an accurate reading, the lines are so close together.
I plan on doing all the ones in my Warrior III POH, then I'll plan on
doing the PA-34-200T manual I have, then hopefully if I can get my
hands on one, I'll do a Baron 55.

Anyways, is anyone else interested in these charts? Is there any other
service out there that does the same thing I'm doing? Here are a couple
examples of what I have so far:

http://isodrosotherm.info/5-19.pdf
http://isodrosotherm.info/6-13.pdf

If anyone has a POH with hard to read charts, and they'd like me to
vectorize them, fell free to contact me with some scans.

Old October 18th 06, 08:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Stubby

The charts look very nice. Do you reenter them? They are too good to
have been scanned in. I'm always interested in the Warrior II and
C-172. W&B charts are most important. Thanks.

Old October 18th 06, 08:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Duniho

"Stubby" wrote in message
The charts look very nice. Do you reenter them? They are too good to
have been scanned in. I'm always interested in the Warrior II and C-172.
W&B charts are most important. Thanks.

"Vectorizing" means that he is taking the original charts and essentially
redrawing them, using a vector-based description (that is, rather than
drawing the charts in a manner similar to painting or printing, the charts
are described as lines from one point to another).

Google "raster versus vector" for more info. The bottom line is that the
resolution of the displayed chart is matched to whatever medium they are
being displayed on. Only the endpoints of each line used to describe the
chart are stored (ie vector data), and during display the actual raster data
required to show the charts on the chosen medium (computer screen, printed
page, etc) is derived from that vector data to match the resolution of the
raster device being used.

So, yes...they are necessarily "reentered" and not scanned (that is, they
may have been scanned as part of the vectorization process, but the end
result you're seeing is not the scan itself).

Pete

Old October 18th 06, 09:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

You can work from FAA data, it is public. But you can't
legally copy a manufacturers pages, that is copyrighted.
Also be sure you put make/model and serial number ranges on
the product. Remember you to can be sued if somebody uses
your product and is injured. Talk to your lawyer and
insurance man.

That said, those charts are for speed and convenience, they
are created from mathematical data points by teams of
engineers. That's why you see terms such as "straight line
variation between point" on so many charts.

Even more than that said; as the end user you can scan at
1200 dpi, the charts from you own airplane and they will
print out very big and easy to read.

Good luck, BTW, when I use a performance chart, I always
take the least favorable number if it is too close to call.

"Peter Duniho" wrote in
message ...
| "Stubby" wrote in
message

Old October 18th 06, 09:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
buttman

Jim Macklin wrote:
You can work from FAA data, it is public. But you can't
legally copy a manufacturers pages, that is copyrighted.
Also be sure you put make/model and serial number ranges on
the product. Remember you to can be sued if somebody uses
your product and is injured. Talk to your lawyer and
insurance man.

That said, those charts are for speed and convenience, they
are created from mathematical data points by teams of
engineers. That's why you see terms such as "straight line
variation between point" on so many charts.

Even more than that said; as the end user you can scan at
1200 dpi, the charts from you own airplane and they will
print out very big and easy to read.

Good luck, BTW, when I use a performance chart, I always
take the least favorable number if it is too close to call.

Oh, I'm not planning on selling these. They take maybe 1 hour each to
do. I was just planning on putting them up on my website for all to use.

Old October 18th 06, 11:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

Still you'll be advise to have a prominent disclaimer, even
if your rendition is perfect, you could be sued.

oups.com...

Old October 19th 06, 12:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith

Oh, I'm not planning on selling these. They take maybe 1 hour each to
do. I was just planning on putting them up on my website for all to use.

What software/hardware do you use to vectorize the images?
Old October 19th 06, 02:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
buttman

john smith wrote:
Oh, I'm not planning on selling these. They take maybe 1 hour each to
do. I was just planning on putting them up on my website for all to use.

What software/hardware do you use to vectorize the images?

First, I scan the charts with my scanner from the POH. Then I open the
charts in an image editing program (I use Adobe Photoshop), and rotate
the image so the axes are straight. Then I open the file in Adobe
Illustrator and just use the pen tool to trace over the lines. The
hardest part is making the grid, since the lines aren't perfectly
parallel with each other (I have to do each one individually). All in
all, it takes anywhere from 1 to 2 hours to make a single chart. It's
something I do while I'm at my computer listening to music.

Unfortunately, Illustrator costs like 500$, so unless you have money to
burn, or have other uses for the program, it's not cost effective.
There may be free alternatives to Illustrator, but Illustrator is the
industry standard.

Old October 19th 06, 04:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Duniho

"buttman" wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]
Unfortunately, Illustrator costs like 500$, so unless you have money to
burn, or have other uses for the program, it's not cost effective.
There may be free alternatives to Illustrator, but Illustrator is the
industry standard.

Well, Photoshop has a line/pen tool as well, as does its little sibling
Photoshop Elements. You can get Elements for under $100 (assuming it wasn't
included in some other bundle one has already purchased...that happens a
fair amount).

Illustrator has lots of great, fancy vector-type tools, but for something
like this they probably aren't needed. Of course, if you already happen to
have Illustrator, I guess that's the way to go.

Pete

Old October 19th 06, 01:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Natalie

buttman wrote:

Oh, I'm not planning on selling these. They take maybe 1 hour each to
do. I was just planning on putting them up on my website for all to use.

Selling isn't an issue. Copying is.