Close Encounters Of The Third Kind

Old December 30th 03, 02:59 AM

"Tex Houston" wrote:

"Mark and Kim Smith" wrote in message
Where'd the planes come from that were shown at the beginning of the
movie? Where are they now?

And for a question not based on reality, why wasn't the desert winds
blowing them around? The aliens didn't leave them tied down or chocked.

I didn't see the movie but a director once told me there's movies and
there's real life.

Were they MILITARY aircraft?

Tex

Of course...that area is plagued with very bad weather which
likely accounts for the high number of incidents. It's also close
to the deepest point in the Atlantic Ocean, the Puerto Rico
Trench, some 25,000 feet deep. There's an Argus with the remains
of it's 20 Canadian crewmembers lying on the bottom there
forever.
--

-Gord.
Old December 30th 03, 03:43 AM
JDupre5762

The lost squadron was "Flight 19" and the circumstances surrounding
their disappearance has never been explained despite the above "simple
explanation". None of the aircraft nor any sign of survival gear have
ever been found. The flight leader didn't just get lost, the entire
flight lost all bearing on where they were and could not establish a
way back to base. The sky was reported as distorted, not making sense
as well as time being lost.
The above posts claims they crashed in the Triangle but they have
never been found. Some excitement was caused years back when other TBM
aircraft were discovered in the area but they were NOT Flight 19.
For more information read the book "The Disappearance of Flight 19"
(1980) by Larry Kusche (ISBN: 0060124776).
Best place to get it from: www.bookfinder.com

Rob

From: (robert arndt)

It has been satisfactorily explained several times beginning with the Navy
Court of Inquiry in 1945. Several years ago a pilot who was also in the air at
the same time and tried to communicate with Flight 19 mentioned in an interview
that at the time there was no real mystery as to what happened. Everyone
involved realized that the Flight Leader was disoriented including other
members of the flight who tried to point out that they were headed in the wrong
direction. These were Navy pilots trained to follow the orders of the flight
leader. As for no wreckage being found it is a big ocean and even 5 TBMs are
pretty small. By the time they crashed it was dark and there was a storm
raging. Prospects of surviving that ditching are pretty small. Prospects of
any wreckage being scattered to hell and gone are pretty great. Whole ships
have been lost with no more wreckage left than would fill a suitcase. The
aircraft will eventually be found where the half dozen radio fixes placed them
about 100 miles northeast of the northern corner of Florida.

The best book ever written on the subject of the Triangle is The Bermuda
Triangle Mystery: Solved; it absolutely demolishes all the cockamamie theories
with actual research with sources like the New York Times and Lloyds Shipping
Register and records of Courts of Inquiry.

John Dupre'
Old December 30th 03, 04:47 AM
WaltBJ

One of Flight 19's Avengers was caught in a shrimper's net about
halfway between Key West and Marco Island about 15 years ago. look on
a map and see how lost that guy was. As for the Bermuda Triangle, I
flew 102s and 104s all over the southern part of it and am still here.
I think. Wooo - woo.
Walt BJ
Old December 30th 03, 04:53 AM
Dave Kearton

"Gord Beaman" wrote in message
| "Dave Kearton"
| wrote:
|
| (according to the program I saw...)
|

| At that time of the year off the Florida Keys, the horizon blends easily
| into the sky - similar to the sky full of snow that you'd be accustomed
to.

| Snow?...what's that?...we have no snow here, it's been +5 or +6
| deg here for a week or so and wasn't below +1 for a month before
| that here Dave.

Thinking more about the 'career snow' that you would have encountered in the
Argus. Our Orion crews rarely see _very_ cold weather, except when
gong way down south along the Antarctic coast and on rotations to the
northern hemisphere.

Still, I suppose flying into a white out is similar to flying at night - if
you're prepared (and trained) for it.

| The primary difference between the two locations would be that Florida
lacks
| huge quantities of Cumulo-granite.
|

| Not a lotta Cumulo-Granito here either, lot's of soft red earth
| good for growing potatoes though.

Soft red earth may as well be granite in the wrong circumstances.

| The TV special that I saw went through the entire Bermuda Triangle myth
and
| offered logical explanations to all of the major stories.
|

| I'm not sold on the idea of aliens or Atlantis or whatever - basically
the
| special blamed the Canadians.
|

| Why blame us? hell the 'triangle' is ~800 miles south of us here.

Only kidding Gord - the automatic ;-) should have deployed here.

--

Cheers

Dave Kearton

Old December 30th 03, 05:37 AM
Marc Reeve

WaltBJ wrote:

One of Flight 19's Avengers was caught in a shrimper's net about
halfway between Key West and Marco Island about 15 years ago. look on
a map and see how lost that guy was. As for the Bermuda Triangle, I
flew 102s and 104s all over the southern part of it and am still here.
I think. Wooo - woo.
Walt BJ

Mel Fisher and crew brought that plane up in 1987. A serial number check
showed that it was not one of the five planes lost with Flight 19.

-Marc
--
Marc Reeve
actual email address after removal of 4s & spaces is

Old December 30th 03, 02:54 PM
robert arndt

"tim gueguen" wrote in message news:RD1Ib.866484$9l5.274956@pd7tw2no...
"robert arndt" wrote in message
om...
(JDupre5762) wrote in message

Where'd the planes come from that were shown at the beginning of the
movie? Where are they now?

And for a question not based on reality, why wasn't the desert winds
blowing them around? The aliens didn't leave them tied down or

chocked.

Those were Navy TBM Avenger torpedo bombers that were supposed to

represent the
famous lost squadron of 5 TBMs that crashed in 1945 in the supposed

Bermuda
Triangle. The popular misconception is that the aircraft flew into some

kind
of "disturbance" and disappeared. The reality is that the flight leader

became
lost and disoriented and the aircraft ran out of gas at night in a

storm.

The lost squadron was "Flight 19" and the circumstances surrounding
their disappearance has never been explained despite the above "simple
explanation". None of the aircraft nor any sign of survival gear have
ever been found.

Right, because its hard to find a bunch of relatively small aircraft in a
large area of ocean after the fact.

But usually something like wreckage, debris, or floating bodies are
found then or later. They NEVER found ANYTHING.

The flight leader didn't just get lost, the entire
flight lost all bearing on where they were and could not establish a
way back to base.

It was a training flight. Only the flight leader had any real navigation
experience, and the other pilots relied on his direction. If he screwed up
they were screwed.

Not so as the leader was advised that turning west would be best. From
his correct position in the north (he believed he was heading south)
turning west would have taken the flight back over land. But the
conditions stated below caused him to think otherwise so he declined
and either headed straight north into the Atlantic or south into the
Gulf of Mexico.

The sky was reported as distorted, not making sense
as well as time being lost.

No, books written 3 decades later made that claim.

Because those remarks were omitted from the "official" report. The
flight leader could not determine position because they sky suddenly
appeared to be blended and there was (at least in the mind of the
flight leader) a loss of time.

tim gueguen 101867

I don't in any way suggest alien abduction, nor necessarily the
oft-claimed effects of the Triangle. But I do believe something other
than "he simply got lost" is to blame. You can't use the big ocean
excuse for not finding the planes. Deep See found a bunch of TBMs that
they thought were Flight 19- turns out they weren't. If they sunk,
they eventually will be found. If they disappeared, that's another
story. And what about the other missing search plane too? Just
coincidence?

Rob