Nothing like a cold splash of 100LL in the face to wake up a pilot

Old September 24th 04, 04:24 AM
Peter R.

Default Nothing like a cold splash of 100LL in the face to wake up a pilot

Anyone ever get splashed in the face with 100LL while refueling at a
self-serve pump?

Today, I joined the nitwit club and was rewarded for my refueling
complacency with a cereal bowl-sized volume of 100LL splashed directly
in the face. At least I was wearing sunglasses, which kept most of the
fuel out of my eyes.

--
Peter

Old September 24th 04, 04:47 AM
Peter Duniho

"Peter R." wrote in message
Anyone ever get splashed in the face with 100LL while refueling at a
self-serve pump?

Nope. But I did once manage to get distracted and dump about a quart of
100LL overboard while I was ogling a Silver Eagle P210 turbine conversion
taxi by while I was fueling my plane.

Glad you had some eye protection on...I can't imagine that actually getting
gas in one's eyes is good for them.

Pete

Old September 24th 04, 05:06 AM
Tim J

A long time ago as a student I was sumping a 172xp and the drain plug was
not working properly - proceeded to **** 100 LL all over me, my new jacket
and then the tarmac. It took a while for a mechanic to get there with
pliers to fix it.

Old September 24th 04, 07:31 AM
tscottme

"Peter R." wrote in message
Anyone ever get splashed in the face with 100LL while refueling at a
self-serve pump?

Today, I joined the nitwit club and was rewarded for my refueling
complacency with a cereal bowl-sized volume of 100LL splashed directly
in the face. At least I was wearing sunglasses, which kept most of the
fuel out of my eyes.

--
Peter

During college I worked as a ramp rat and spilled my share of Avgas and
Jet-A, spilled it on me, the aircraft, and the ground. Oh yeah, after
handling Avgas wash your hands before visiting the little pilot's room,
don't ask why just do it. ;-)

It stings to get fuel in the eye, it should be flushed with water and it
helps to keep your eyelid closed until you can get plenty of water on the
scene. It's the evaporation that seems to cause the most irritation. Some
A&Ps also use low-lead as a parts cleaner. I've had my hands soaked in it
pretty often and the cuts on your hands notice but it's not then end of the
world to get fuel on you. My doctor says aside from the third arm growing
out of my forehead I'm almost normal.

--
Scott

Old September 24th 04, 01:08 PM
Nathan Young

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 23:24:53 -0400, Peter R.
wrote:

Anyone ever get splashed in the face with 100LL while refueling at a
self-serve pump?

Today, I joined the nitwit club and was rewarded for my refueling
complacency with a cereal bowl-sized volume of 100LL splashed directly
in the face. At least I was wearing sunglasses, which kept most of the
fuel out of my eyes.

A true pilot wears 100LL cologne.

How did it happen? I self-fuel frequently, and would like to avoid
the same thing.

-Nathan

Old September 24th 04, 02:14 PM
Peter R.

Nathan Young wrote:

How did it happen? I self-fuel frequently, and would like to avoid
the same thing.

My Bonanza has wingtip tanks and the caps of these tanks are about
chest-high for someone of average height. To fuel the tanks, I have to
hold the nozzle right about face level with the tip of the nozzle just
below the lip of the tank.

Due to the rather awkward position in which I was required to hold the
nozzle, I inadvertently lifted the nozzle just above and to the right of
the lip of the tank. The flowing fuel hit the lip and top of the tank,
then quickly splashed back at me.

To prevent this from happening again, I should use a step ladder so that
I am looking down, rather than level with the nozzle. I also need to
pay closer attention to the task instead of letting my mind wander as I
did.

I was impressed at how quickly the fuel evaporated, though. Despite
getting it all over my shirt, too, there was no detectable odor ten
minutes later. If it had been auto fuel, I would still reek today.

--
Peter

Old September 24th 04, 04:02 PM
Gene Seibel

Peter R. wrote in message ...
Anyone ever get splashed in the face with 100LL while refueling at a
self-serve pump?

Today, I joined the nitwit club and was rewarded for my refueling
complacency with a cereal bowl-sized volume of 100LL splashed directly
in the face. At least I was wearing sunglasses, which kept most of the
fuel out of my eyes.

Been real careful when dealing with fluids since I got a spray of
battery acid in my eyes as a kid. Was using an air compressor to blow
grass off the top of a lawn mower battery. It was in the days when
battery caps still had vent holes. Got the air stream to close to a
vent hole and acid began spraying out of the other caps. Real scary,
but my dad flushed out my eyes with a garden hose and as far as I know
there was no permanent damage.
--
Gene Seibel
Hangar 131 - http://pad39a.com/gene/plane.html

Old September 24th 04, 05:46 PM
Icebound

"tscottme" wrote in message
Some A&Ps also use low-lead as a parts cleaner. I've had my hands soaked

in it
pretty often and the cuts on your hands notice but it's not then end of

the
world to get fuel on you. ...

That doesn't sound too safe.
Are they (and you) not concerned with the fire hazard, and the lead health
hazard? While children are more susceptible than adults, I still don't
think I would want to put my hands in it every day as part of my job.....

Old September 24th 04, 06:25 PM
Ron Natalie

"C J Campbell" wrote in message news:VsednWCShodKo8ncRVn-
It stings.

It burns like a Glasgow bikini wax.