Tow Pilot Killed at Skyline

Old October 8th 17, 10:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Tow Pilot Killed at Skyline

On Sunday, October 8, 2017 at 5:05:10 PM UTC-4, Jp Stewart wrote:
On Sunday, October 8, 2017 at 9:55:35 AM UTC-4, Paul Agnew wrote:
https://royalexaminer.com/2017/10/07...royal-airport/

Tragic news from our friends at Skyline.

Condolences to his family and friends.

Paul A.
Treasure Coast Soaring Club

I've spoken with several people who saw it and post this only to get a few facts out and hopefully prevent speculation. Steve was a great pilot and human and I flew with him quite a few times. His son Chris is a very active instructor and towpilot at Skyline and BRSS and it would be respectful if this group offered support to him and the rest of the Zabojis rather than jumping to conclusions about what happened.

The comments in the article by the airport manager (Reggie) are speculative and not substantiated at this point. The tow began very normally with a student and instructor on board. At ~300 ft, they released (I haven't spoken with them so I won't speculate on what they saw) after sensing there was an issue and executed a rope break to a safe landing. The towplane continued descending with no apparent reaction until it hit the ground and immediately caught fire. (Described as a movie like explosion at impact) The incident was partially recorded on a GoPro in the glider and the Pawnee had a TOST reel (with a guillotine and weak link.)

Best,
JP

I had the pleasure of getting to know Chris this year and mentoring him. My heart goes out to this fine young man for his loss.
Sadly
UH
Old October 8th 17, 10:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Amen

AE

Old October 9th 17, 02:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

This is just terrible news. My deepest condolences to Chris and the rest of the Zaboji family.

Matt

Old October 9th 17, 08:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Michael Opitz

=
with them so I won't speculate on what they saw) after sensing

there was
an=
issue and executed a rope break to a safe landing. The towplane

continued
=
descending with no apparent reaction until it hit the ground and
immediatel=
y caught fire. (Described as a movie like explosion at impact) The
incident=
was partially recorded on a GoPro in the glider and the Pawnee

had a TOST
=
reel (with a guillotine and weak link.)

Best,
JP

Personally, I have lost two very experienced (though older) good
friends who had extreme / sudden medical incapacitations at low
altitude on take-of while flying solo. Let the NTSB do their work,
and we'll all find out in due time. I'm sure that the GoPro footage
will prove very useful in the investigation.

RO

Old October 9th 17, 09:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom[_21_]

Our hearts go out to the family, friends and all who are affected by this tragic loss. We are so sorry.

Tom
Old October 19th 17, 01:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Renny[_2_]

On Sunday, October 8, 2017 at 7:55:35 AM UTC-6, Paul Agnew wrote:
https://royalexaminer.com/2017/10/07...royal-airport/

Tragic news from our friends at Skyline.

Condolences to his family and friends.

Paul A.
Treasure Coast Soaring Club

The NTSB Accident preliminary report has been posted here...

https://app.ntsb.gov/pdfgenerator/Re...relim&IType=FA