Moving violation..NASA form?

Old November 3rd 03, 02:32 AM
Nasir

Default Moving violation..NASA form?

I recently got my PPL and went for my first x-country with my wife.

I trained at an uncontrolled field and going to a controlled field always
was a little more challenging for me. Anyway all went well on our trip to
the class-D airport. We got the courtesy car, went to have the $100
hamburger..all in all it went great!

On our return trip however, I screwed up. This particular airport does not
have a separate ground frequency..tower is also the ground controller. After
I started up the plane, for some very stupid reason I assumed that since
there is no separate ground controller, I did not need permission to taxi to
the active (I know, its unbelievably stupid!). I tuned ATIS, figured out the
active, tuned to tower and without saying anything, I started to taxi to it.
I was not going to get onto the runway or cross any runwyas and would have
definetly asked permission but did not ask for taxi clearance.

The tower called me and told me to "STOP". I hit the brakes and responded to
their call. They asked me what I was doing. I sheepishly said I am taxing to
active. The guy tells me its a controlled field and I am required to ask
permission before I can taxi. I acknowledged. He asked where I was headed
and I told him. He cleared me to taxi to the runway.

While getting to the active, I came across another runway that was closed,
but since the guy had chewed me out before I decided to ask anyway. He told
me I had already crossed the hold-short line so yeah go ahead! I taxi all
the way to the active, he cleared me to depart and go to my heading.

Now I know I screwed up with not asking for taxi clearance but I believe I
did not need his permission to cross the other runway since 1, it was
closed, and 2, he had cleared me to taxi to the active which means I can
cross any runways on the way!

Anyway, he never asked me to "call the tower" or anything. I am wondering if
I am in trouble? Should I file that nasa form? I talked to my instructor and
was told it was no big deal since they never asked me to call the tower and
did not mention any action would be taken, but I still concerned.

Should I be worried? Others been in this situation?

thanks.

PS: posted this in the student newgroup too so others can learn. When in ANY
DOUBT, ASK!

Old November 3rd 03, 02:37 AM
Roy Smith

"Nasir" wrote:
Anyway, he never asked me to "call the tower" or anything. I am wondering if
I am in trouble? Should I file that nasa form? I talked to my instructor and
was told it was no big deal since they never asked me to call the tower and
did not mention any action would be taken, but I still concerned.

File the NASA form. From what you describe, it doesn't sound like any
official action will ever come of this, but filing the form is cheap
insurance.
Old November 3rd 03, 02:42 AM
Newps

Nasir wrote:

Now I know I screwed up with not asking for taxi clearance but I believe I
did not need his permission to cross the other runway since 1, it was
closed,

Closed how? Permanently as in it is no longer a runway but now a
taxiway? Or closed for construction? You are right that you can go all
the way to your departure runway as you stated but you cannot know that
a runway is closed. If it is temporarily closed it is still a runway.

Anyway, he never asked me to "call the tower" or anything. I am wondering if
I am in trouble?

Nope, wouldn't worry about it.

Old November 3rd 03, 03:04 AM
Peter Duniho

"Roy Smith" wrote in message
File the NASA form. From what you describe, it doesn't sound like any
official action will ever come of this, but filing the form is cheap
insurance.

Furthermore, the NASA form exists not just for "insurance" purposes. The
aviation community in general learns about safety issues through the use of
the NASA form. The "get out of jail free" aspect is simply encouragement to
participate in the overall purpose.

The form should be filed regardless of whether you think you need the
enforcement protection. Your first thought should be regarding whether the
form can help others learn from your mistakes (or the mistakes of others).

Pete

Old November 3rd 03, 03:05 AM
Nasir

"Newps" wrote in message

Nasir wrote:

Now I know I screwed up with not asking for taxi clearance but I believe

did not need his permission to cross the other runway since 1, it was
closed,

Closed how? Permanently as in it is no longer a runway but now a
taxiway? Or closed for construction? You are right that you can go all
the way to your departure runway as you stated but you cannot know that
a runway is closed. If it is temporarily closed it is still a runway.

The A/FD says 'Runway xx-xx CLOSED indef'. Regardless, I thought (and like
you say) I was cleared all the way to the active but wanted to add that the
runway in question was not even open to traffic. I guess the controller was
just ****ed at me and wasn't done with me from the taxi mishap.

Old November 3rd 03, 03:11 AM
Nasir

The form should be filed regardless of whether you think you need the
enforcement protection. Your first thought should be regarding whether

the
form can help others learn from your mistakes (or the mistakes of others).

Pete

I was not sure how harmless or harmful this mistake was and whether it may
be too trivial for the NASA form? For what its worth, I was VERY careful
before I started to taxi and made sure no other aircraft was on the taxiway
(pretty slow day at the airport). Something I learned diligently at the
uncontrolled field.

Nasir

Old November 3rd 03, 03:17 AM
Pixel Dent

In article ,
Roy Smith wrote:

"Nasir" wrote:
Anyway, he never asked me to "call the tower" or anything. I am wondering if
I am in trouble? Should I file that nasa form? I talked to my instructor and
was told it was no big deal since they never asked me to call the tower and
did not mention any action would be taken, but I still concerned.

File a NASA form not to get yourself out of trouble, but because this is
the sort of circumstance they were meant for. You ran into situation
which is likely to trip up other pilots as well. Get it in their
database.
Old November 3rd 03, 03:41 AM
Peter Duniho

"Nasir" wrote in message
om...
I was not sure how harmless or harmful this mistake was and whether it may
be too trivial for the NASA form?

Better to err on the side of filing too many NASA forms. Perhaps you are
the only pilot in existence to ever have forgotten to contact ground at an
airport where the ground and tower frequencies are shared. If you are, your
form will be the only to ever mention that issue. But there's never any
harm in filing the form. Who knows? Maybe your form will be last one
needed for NASA to figure out there's a problem using the same frequency for
tower and ground (assuming there is).

Provide the data. Let NASA decide whether it's a real problem or not.

Pete

Old November 3rd 03, 03:57 AM
John Gaquin

"Nasir" wrote in message news:W6jpb.827
Should I be worried? Others been in this situation?

Go ahead and file the form; it costs you nothing. But more importantly,
how did your wife react? Will she go with you again? Hopefully!

JG

Old November 3rd 03, 04:07 AM
Nasir

"John Gaquin" wrote in message

"Nasir" wrote in message

Should I be worried? Others been in this situation?

Go ahead and file the form; it costs you nothing. But more importantly,
how did your wife react? Will she go with you again? Hopefully!

I will file the form. It does not have any potential consequences, does it?
I've heard people say that you should keep your mouth shut sometimes when it
comes to FAA.

My wife was fine. When we got back to home base she did not want to finish
the trip and wanted to go elsewhere!