Slow flight and Slips to Landing - Video

Old January 31st 09, 04:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Slow flight and Slips to Landing - Video

Nice VFR day for flying and doing some landing work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzaeqwn1GJ4

"Plane having" fun, just wanted to commit aviation and enjoy the
sensation of flight. Figure to practice some slips to landings after
slow flighting it in the practice area.
Old January 31st 09, 10:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
More_Flaps

On Jan 31, 5:38*pm, " wrote:
Nice VFR day for flying and doing some landing work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzaeqwn1GJ4

"Plane having" fun, just wanted to commit aviation and enjoy the
sensation of flight. *Figure to practice some slips to landings after
slow flighting it in the practice area.

I suggest you practise slips from a higher altitude to get used to how
much aileron you need -it not "full". Also you did not lower the nose
correctly but you got away with it because you slipped for only a few
seconds. Not one of those landings needed a slip, in fact it seemed to
me you were nearly on glidepath anyway -what should your altitude be
over the keys be for a normal approach? Why not make all your
approaches power off -you are not flying a jet...

Cheers
Old January 31st 09, 03:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Jan 31, 4:02*am, More_Flaps wrote:
On Jan 31, 5:38*pm, " wrote:

Nice VFR day for flying and doing some landing work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzaeqwn1GJ4

"Plane having" fun, just wanted to commit aviation and enjoy the
sensation of flight. *Figure to practice some slips to landings after
slow flighting it in the practice area.

I suggest you practise slips from a higher altitude to get used to how
much aileron you need -it not "full". Also you did not lower the nose
correctly but you got away with it because you slipped for only a few
seconds. Not one of those landings needed a slip, in fact it seemed to
me you were nearly on glidepath anyway -what should your altitude be
over the keys be for a normal approach? Why not make all your
approaches power off -you are not flying a jet...

Cheers

'preciate the feed back. I was on glide path to the aim points,
wanted to put the plane down closer to the numbers.

These were no flap landings, so I kept my speed up just a touch more
then full flaps.

For final, I generally shoot for 500 feet AGL, the finals on these
videos were 800 AGL and final was shorter then I normally do. Zoom of
camera does make the runway appear **somewhat** further then I
actually was.

Big mistake in this video was I was slipping the wrong way!!!

I should have had the nose pointed to the left, not the right since
winds were out of the NW. This I think caused my off centerline
tracking that I really didn't notice until watching the video.
Recovery wasn't that big a deal as you can see..
Old February 6th 09, 03:55 PM
larryb711 larryb711 is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
On Jan 31, 5:38*pm, " wrote:

[...]

Great video, and excellent job of keeping the plane coordinated through out the exercises.

Slow Flight, Stalls, and Spins Introduction w3n-a Restoration 0 December 4th 08 03:04 PM
Slow Flight w3n-a Rotorcraft 0 December 4th 08 03:00 PM
Slow Flight Ol Shy & Bashful Piloting 43 September 28th 07 02:52 AM
slips to landing in PTS BB Soaring 6 April 17th 07 05:58 AM
MSFS 2004 Video frame rate very slow Greg Brown Simulators 1 November 11th 05 07:24 PM