Tragity

Old October 17th 05, 04:12 AM
Ron Natalie

Default Tragedy

Matt Whiting wrote:

What a loss. Is this the first Young Eagles accident of this severity?
I don't recall, thankfully, hearing about any fatalities before.

I believe there has been one previous fatality, but the EAA keeps it
pretty quiet. When I had my (nobody injured) engine failure flying
Young Eagles, I did get a nice letter from the EAA thanking me for not
killing any kids.
Old October 17th 05, 04:18 AM
Jose

I fly Young Eagles through 2 different clubs.
Prior to this accident we had been discussing changing our rules to
prohibit 2 kids from the same family to fly in the same plane.

We should all look at this. Loss to the family, liability - let's split
them up - everyone wins!

The alternative is losses to two families. Is this better?

Jose
Old October 17th 05, 05:21 AM
Dave Stadt

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message
Gary Drescher wrote:

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
ups.com...

Apparently at a Young Eagle event:

http://www.komonews.com/stories/39753.htm

God, what an awful thing. When an event designed to lure young people
to the sky turns to tragedy, G.A. loses, big time.

Two ninth-grade girls were killed in the crash. Not only was it a Young
Eagles flight, but the girls were students at Aviation High School, a

school
for students with an interest in flying.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...lanecrash.html

What a loss. Is this the first Young Eagles accident of this severity?
I don't recall, thankfully, hearing about any fatalities before.

EAA site says this is the first fatal Young Eagle accident.

Matt

Old October 17th 05, 05:23 AM
Dave Stadt

"Jose" wrote in message
I fly Young Eagles through 2 different clubs.
Prior to this accident we had been discussing changing our rules to
prohibit 2 kids from the same family to fly in the same plane.

We should all look at this. Loss to the family, liability - let's split
them up - everyone wins!

The alternative is losses to two families. Is this better?

It certainly can be if a family has two kids and they are both in one plane.
Splitting up kids from the same family is a not uncommon YE rule.

Jose

Old October 17th 05, 05:47 AM
Paul Stuart

From what I recall the accident in Colorado some years back involved a
young person that had got involved with his local EAA Chapter, and was
being rewarded with a flight after helping out at a Young Eagles event
- but it was not technically a Young Eagles flight i.e. the flight
wouldn't have been recorded in the Young Eagles logbook had it ended
safely.

Anyway... I guess all thoughts should really be with families of the
deceased.

Ron Lee wrote:
That story is incorrect in that there were two killed in a YE flight
at 00V several years ago.

Ron Lee

Old October 17th 05, 05:49 AM
Ron Lee

"Dave Stadt" wrote:

EAA site says this is the first fatal Young Eagle accident.

Not correct. One YE and a pilot were killed at 00V a few years ago.

Ron Lee
Old October 17th 05, 07:50 AM
Montblack

("Ron Lee" wrote)
Not correct. One YE and a pilot were killed at 00V a few years ago.

AirNav.com -- Airports -- OOV --
Meadow Lake Airport - Colorado Springs, Colorado

http://www.airnav.com/airport/00V

Montblack
Old October 17th 05, 01:36 PM
g n p

Which equates to what??? a millisecond of the per annum airline traffic
without incident??? incredible safety record???
PP-ASEL, owner SX-ATB, TB-20 Trinidad

"A Lieberman" wrote in message

On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 00:34:16 GMT, .Blueskies. wrote:

mo

http://www.eaa.org/communications/ea...6_ye_loss.html

Sadly, the media won't pick up on the following paragraph taken from the
above web page:

The accident marks the first fatalities among the approximately 1,200,000
Young Eagles whom EAA members have flown since EAA launched the program in
1992.

This to me shows an incredible safety record of general aviation.

Allen

Old October 17th 05, 05:00 PM
Matt Barrow

"Montblack" wrote in message
("Ron Lee" wrote)
Not correct. One YE and a pilot were killed at 00V a few years ago.

AirNav.com -- Airports -- OOV -- Meadow Lake Airport - Colorado
Springs, Colorado

http://www.airnav.com/airport/00V

It's not in the NTSB database going back to 1990.

Old October 17th 05, 05:54 PM
Gary Drescher

"Matt Barrow" wrote in message

"Montblack" wrote in message
("Ron Lee" wrote)
Not correct. One YE and a pilot were killed at 00V a few years ago.

AirNav.com -- Airports -- OOV -- Meadow Lake Airport - Colorado
Springs, Colorado

http://www.airnav.com/airport/00V

It's not in the NTSB database going back to 1990.

Yes it is:
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief2.asp?...FA394& akey=1.

--Gary