Flying Story

Old April 27th 07, 03:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.piloting

Default Flying Story

In rec.aviation.piloting Ed Rasimus wrote:
On Thu, 26 Apr 2007 17:25:41 -0500, "Danny Deger"
wrote:

Anyone know how to get an agent of a publisher?

I haven't ever published a book myself, but I have worked for some
(fiction) authors, and from what I understand of the process, Ed Rasimus'
comments are right on. To expand a little on some of the things he said:

You can "self-publish" or "publish on demand"--these are two aspects
of what is referred to as the "vanity press". Folks want to say
they've written a book, so they pay a couple of thousand dollars to
have a few hundred copies printed up and then distribute them to
friends. I don't recomment that, YMMV.

One version of this I've heard is that "as a writer, you should only
ever sign the BACK of a check". In other words, people should be giving
you money, not the other way around. If somebody wants you to give them
money first, be careful.

In fiction, the initial check you get is usually an advance against
royalties. In other words, to make up numbers, if your cut of each book
is $1, and they send you a check for $1000, at least a thousand copies
of the book have to be sold before you get any more money. If the book
sells less than a thousand copies, you owe the difference back to the
publisher. If it sells more, then every so often (maybe quarterly), you
get a check for the additional copies that have sold so far. Non-fiction
may be different.

Thanks to some friends like RAM's own Dan Ford who got a review
published in the Wall Street Journal, the book did quite well.

Depending on the publisher, you will get some amount of support from
them in the form of advertising and promotion. But you can also do your
own promotion. Bookstores usually like to have "local authors" in to
sign books; sometimes they will order some extra copies of your book
for the signing. Sign all the copies they have, even the ones they don't
sell that day - they will put them on the shelf, and signed copies
hardly ever get returned as unsold to the publisher. Talk to your tax
person or attorney, but you may even be able to write off some of your
promotional expense.

It takes a lot of effort to find a publisher or agent who will take
your work. Scout out the internet for names and contact info.

There is (was?) a book called "Writer's Market" that listed the contact
information for many publishers, along with the types of things they
liked to publish. You might also go to the bookstore and see which
publishers are printing similar types of books.

I don't know how true this is in non-fiction, but in fiction, it helps
to have a short story or two published in a magazine or anthology
(collection of short stories). It gives the publisher some assurance
that you know what you're doing. A chapter of your book (with a bit of
editing) might make a good short story in a magazine, BUT the book
publisher may not like the idea of printing something that has already
been partially published. You should probably ask someone with more
current industry information about this.

Matt Roberds

Old April 27th 07, 05:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.piloting
Bill Baker

Nice little memoir snippet, Danny. I wouldn't sweat the copyediting
that much at this stage, despite the nitpicking you're getting from
others. I've been a professional writer for more than twenty years and
I would rate your copy as fairly clean for a one-recheck draft.
Contrary to the expectations of non-professionals, fiction editors
don't discount submissions unless the grammar and spelling errors are
well into the low end of egregious. If it's a saleable yarn on first
glance, they won't chuck it into the slush pile.

Editing for the sake of pace, focus, character development, etc.,
however, can be very, very valuable. Unfortunately, an editor who can
provide you with feedback with that level of insight and engagement is
much more rare--and expensive.

As to the biz aspects, Ed's already given you the low-down. I would
especially heed his trenchant comments on what it takes to land a book
contract in the niche market of military aviation memoirs. I would
only add that--and I suspect that Ed was being nice in not mentioning
this--if your flying tales don't include combat experience, they're
going to be real tough to sell. Might want to aim for placing
individual stories with the slicks.

Be ruthless with yourself. Edit like a mofo. And always remember, a
writer is never "through" until the first shovelful of dirt hits
his/her coffin lid.

Old April 27th 07, 03:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.piloting
Danny Deger

"Tex Houston" wrote in message
.. .

"john smith" wrote in message
Danny,
I see a couple instances where you use the word "since" where you mean
to use "sense". Your spell checker will not catch this as it is
correctly spelled.

Also... I have a good idea of what those poor fisherman went through --
the
work loud I am sure doesn't even come close.

Should be ...WORD loud...

Thanks. I have fixed the problem.

Tex

Old May 9th 07, 05:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.piloting
Danny Deger

"Bill Baker" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks all for the inputs. I had thought about the lack of combat, but I
have my mental break down because of being bullied at NASA Johnson Space
Center as the climax of the book. With the crazy astronaut and the recent
"postal" employee at NASA, I think my story of "going postal" (but without
any violance) might be worthy of getting published. For example I have
documents to prove NASA lied to the doctors in 1999 to have me locked up
against my will and I have document to prove NASA was involved with a local
judge to prevent me from getting an attorney or a hearing. It is amazing
how much is documented when you are hospitalized. My father tells me they
asked him for permission to erase my memory in 1999. In Feb, 2006 my boss
at the time told me he thought they would have erased my memory if he had
said yes.

Danny Deger

News==----
Newsgroups
=----

Old May 9th 07, 12:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Skelton

Congratulations on the day's funniest typo.

Old May 9th 07, 12:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.piloting
Jeff Crowell[_1_]

Meaner than you wrote:
you might also check on your spell check, you defiantly need help in that
field...

Now THAT's funny!

Jeff

Old May 9th 07, 06:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.piloting
Tex Houston

"Meaner than you" wrote in message
you might also check on your spell check, you defiantly need help in that
field...

Unlike you who just uses the wrong word?

Tex

Old May 10th 07, 04:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.piloting
Orval Fairbairn

In article ,
"Meaner than you" wrote:

you might also check on your spell check, you defiantly need help in that
field...

I would say that, if you are so defiant, you *DEFINITELY* need help!
Old May 10th 07, 05:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.piloting
gatt

"Meaner than you" wrote in message
you might also check on your spell check, you defiantly need help in that
field...

LOL!

"Defiantly."

Well, it passed the spell check, didn't it?

-c

good CNN story on family flying Tango Whiskey Piloting 11 May 4th 05 05:12 AM
A TSA Story Eric Rood Piloting 0 March 11th 05 03:04 AM
Flying the Santa Fe Trail Story: long JJS Piloting 19 April 9th 04 02:02 AM
NPR Story Hobbes1157 Piloting 0 January 24th 04 10:39 PM
another "either you are with us ..." story Jeff Franks Piloting 2 December 31st 03 12:04 AM