My home airport had a crash this morning

Old January 25th 06, 10:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default My home airport had a crash this morning

N86CE has multiple records
Bell 206L-3
Certificate Issue Date: 04/27/1993
Cancel Date: ................04/19/1994
Destroyed
JOHNSTON COCA COLA BOTTLING CO INC

OMG!!! ..don't any a/c owner should ever use this number again.

Old January 25th 06, 11:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 20:13:42 GMT, Larry Dighera wrote:

It's beginning to look like there may have been a pilot incapacitation
issue involved. Do you know if the Citation 560 is certified for
single pilot operation?

Another posting here indicated that there was a co-pilot.

Could it be possible that they had the whole flight programmed into the FMS and then had
a Pane Stewart type problem and the plane finished the flight?

Paul

Old January 25th 06, 11:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

wrote:

Could it be possible that they had the whole flight programmed into the FMS and then had
a Pane Stewart type problem and the plane finished the flight?

In this case, wouldn't there have been reports of the aircraft being NORDO
for the last half of the flight?

--
Peter
Old January 26th 06, 01:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

("cpu" wrote)
N86CE has multiple records
Bell 206L-3
Certificate Issue Date: 04/27/1993
Cancel Date: ................04/19/1994
Destroyed
JOHNSTON COCA COLA BOTTLING CO INC

OMG!!! ..don't any a/c owner should ever use this number again.

So you're saying the FAA should ..."86" that number?
http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a1_291b.html

Montblack
Old January 26th 06, 01:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Montblack wrote:
So you're saying the FAA should ..."86" that number?
http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a1_291b.html

Well, in that case, 55 and 19. Whoa! 87-1/2!

The Monk

Old January 26th 06, 05:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Pilot seemed OK before deadly crash

By Mark Arner
UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

January 26, 2006

CARLSBAD - A federal investigator said yesterday that nothing in the
pilot's last conversation with an air-traffic controller indicated
there was a problem before a fatal jet crash at McClellan-Palomar
Airport.

Kurt Anderson, an investigator for the National Transportation Safety
Board, also said there are conflicting reports about the jet's speed
when it approached the Carlsbad airport Tuesday morning.

Witnesses said the jet appeared to be traveling too fast as it touched
down near the middle of the 4,600-foot-long runway.

All four people aboard were killed when the aircraft skidded off the
runway, plowed through barricades and hit a storage building before
catching fire.

Anderson said he knew about the Internet data from "FlightAware" that
shows minute-by-minute ground speed data about such general aviation
flights.

The Web site said the 1994 Cessna Citation V twin-engine jet was
traveling at 227 nautical mph (261 mph) when it touched down at the
Carlsbad airport shortly before 6:40 a.m.

Anderson confirmed that the recommended landing speed for such a jet is
between 105 and 115 knots (121 mph to 132 mph).

"There is some discrepancy between that (the FlightAware data) and
other data that we have," he said.

All the information will take four to six months to fully analyze,
Anderson said.

He declined to speculate about what caused the crash.

"This is a slow and very deliberative, step-by-step process," he said.
"At this point, we are nowhere near any specific conclusions."

Investigators did determine that the jet's landing gear was down after
the crash, and that its "thrust reversers," used to slow the jet, were
stowed.

That would be the normal position for such equipment if the pilot
intended to take off again and attempt another landing, Anderson said.

He said the cockpit voice recorder was recovered "in good shape" and
was being flown to Washington, D.C., along with reams of other data.

Anderson said he also has a recording of the pilot's conversation with
an off-site air traffic controller just before the landing attempt.

That conversation was with a controller based at an FAA radar station,
called a TRACON, next to the Miramar Marine Corps Air Station.

Anderson said there was no distress call or indication from the pilot
that he was having difficulty with the aircraft.

Killed in the wreck were pilot John C. "Jack" Francis, co-pilot Anthony
Garrett, New Hampshire science-equipment executive Frank Jellinek Jr.
and Janet Shafran of Ketchum, Idaho, authorities said.

Mark Arner: (619) 542-4556;

Old January 26th 06, 05:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"AJ" wrote in message
oups.com...
Pilot seemed OK before deadly crash

But seemed rather unresponsive afterwards? sick-grin

Old January 26th 06, 11:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Grumman-581 wrote:
Pilot seemed OK before deadly crash

But seemed rather unresponsive afterwards? sick-grin

I don't know weather to laugh with you or scold you, since I'm not the
scolding type. g

The Monk

Old January 27th 06, 02:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I was thinking hard attack on final with auto-pilot still engaged.
They said clear to land and the pilot replied and then massive coronary.
People in the back never knew what happened.

Old January 27th 06, 09:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 18:46:26 -0800, "Aluckyguess"
wrote in ::

I was thinking hard [sic] attack on final with auto-pilot still engaged.
They said clear to land and the pilot replied and then massive coronary.

That would have had to occur within the temporal window of opportunity
bounded by the time the gear was extended and the time of impact, a
period of probably a couple of minutes at the speed the aircraft was
alleged to have been traveling. (What's the old saw about preferring
luck to skill?)

The other questionable issue in this hypothesis, is the necessity for
BOTH pilots to have been stricken simultaneously.