On Anonymity, Moderated Fora, and Usenet

Old June 10th 08, 05:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Default On Anonymity, Moderated Fora, and Usenet

Andrew Sarangan wrote:
On Jun 9, 3:11 pm, Dudley Henriques wrote:

Yes, by all means let's take a look at some of the advantages of an
unmoderated Usenet forum..........like this gem for example, posted
yesterday by some idiot posting here on this Usenet forum using a false
name.

"Dudley Henriques blithered dramatically whilst picking the gonad hairs
from his teeth once fluffy on the testicles of his retaded son "

Of course this Usenet moron has no idea that we just buried our son
after losing him to cancer.

--
Dudley Henriques

Very saddened to hear the news, and I can't even imagine your pain.
Burying ones own child must be one of the most painful events in any
persons life. Please accept my condolences.

Thank you Andrew. I appreciate your post very much.

--
Dudley Henriques
Old June 10th 08, 05:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck[_2_]

Dave was a wonderful man, and losing him was the saddest thing we've
ever had to endure. We are left with wonderful memories of him and the
time all of us had together. He was an inspiration to us all, and even
in the time his Melanoma tore at his body and drove him closer to death,
he spent his days trying to help US deal with what was happening.
Your thoughts were greatly appreciated and I will be sharing them with
my wife tonight. I'm sure she as well would echo what I have said here
to you.

Please accept our sincere condolences, Dudley.
--
Jay, Mary, Joe & Becca Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Old June 10th 08, 05:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Logajan

HARRY POTTER wrote:
I really don't
understand why ANYONE here would want to post with their real name?

All the good handles were taken.

What on earth does it benefit the poster that uses their real name?

I don't want the payments to go into someone else's account.

Look what happened when Bob Gardner used his real name - and then
publicly announced he was leaving the group. It's amazing how someone who
didn't post that often could generate such a following to other forums.
Bob hasn't been the first one to publicly leave this board and announce
where else to find him, but he was the first one to do so who had enough
real-world cred to draw a crowd with him. But I'm not sure that will
prove anything to you.

It just boggles my mind.

People who have boggled minds are advised not to use their real names.
;-)

I've been using internet message boards for
years now, all of which are ones where the users use screen names
instead of their real names.

I think I've been reading Usenet for almost 20 years now. Back in those
days real names were used more often than pseudonyms. Except for Kibo -
it's all his fault.

Yet I'm just not seeing the same kind of
anarchy proponents of real-name-posters seem to think anonymity
brings... Heck I can name you a few dozen Usenet groups where everyone
is anonymous, yet order is preserved.

Which groups are those?
And how precisely is order preserved?
And what do you define as order?

I come here to learn about aviation. Period. I'm not here to make
friends, I'm not here to make a name for myself, I'm just here to get
a glimpse of aviation that you just can't get reading published books.

That's sort of fine - but you make a mistake in presuming everyone must
have the same motivations. Or that only your motivations are valid. There
is also a certain unfortunate, if not absurdist, aspect in watching
asocial and antisocial people make posts to Usenet - which is an
inherently _socializing_ mechanism.

Also, since
aviation is so small, its a lot more easy to get yourself noticed,
which I'm guessing is the reason many here post with their real name.
They hope some reputation they earn here will carry over to real life.
Either that, of they hope that their real life reputation will carry
over online. Either way, to me it's just sad and pathetic.

It appears that in your last paragraph you crossed the line from not
being here to making friends to using your anonymity to make a sweeping
generalization against every person who ever used their real names. A
classic flame or troll. The irony is that you claim in the same post how
you don't see anonymous posters as agents of chaos.
Old June 10th 08, 08:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Alan[_6_]

In article HARRY POTTER writes:

I come here to learn about aviation. Period. I'm not here to make friends,
I'm not here to make a name for myself, I'm just here to get a glimpse of
aviation that you just can't get reading published books.

I find that the better quality comments come from folks who are willing
to use their real names. They tend to stand behind what they say.

Don't think that anonymity makes you safe from the feds. If they
want you, they can find you.

Alan
Old June 10th 08, 10:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.usenet.kooks
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

"Maxwell" luv2^fly99@cox.^net wrote in newssd3k.1358$Jh7.331
@newsfe21.lga:

"Bertie the Bunyip" wrote in message
Larry Dighera wrote in
:

On Mon, 9 Jun 2008 07:07:49 -0700 (PDT), Michael
wrote in
:

Note that what I'm talking about here is minimally effective

anonymity
- not enough to really keep anyone reasonably bright from figuring

out
who you are, but the sort that would give you plausible deniability
and would significantly slow down a busybody FAA inspector. That's
really all that any of the long time posters here have.

So it would seem:

Whois Record

OrgName: Maytag Corporation
OrgID: MAYTAG
Address: 403 W. 4th St. N.
City: Newton
StateProv: IA
PostalCode: 50208
Country: US

Good god.

Bertie

Well Larry, looks like the wannabe moderator caught ya.

Morning Mr. Needsalife.

Morning?

Bertie

Old June 10th 08, 10:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.usenet.kooks,alt.alien.vampire.flonk.flonk.flonk
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

Larry Dighera wrote in
:

On Mon, 9 Jun 2008 16:57:30 +0000 (UTC), Bertie the Bunyip
wrote in :

Newsgroups:
rec.aviation.piloting,alt.usenet.kooks,alt.alien .vampire.flonk.flonk.fl
onk

Thanks. Almost forgot the flonk.

Bertie
Old June 10th 08, 10:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.usenet.kooks,alt.alien.vampire.flonk.flonk.flonk
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

"Maxwell" luv2^fly99@cox.^net wrote in
:

"Rich Ahrens" wrote in message
ouse.com...
on 6/9/2008 6:13 PM Maxwell said the following:

In fact, I'd like to take the time to thank Bertie and all his sock
puppets, for the not only the cross posting, forging and lying that
you all as a group have sponsored to this forum, but also some of
the world class filth you have brought to the group as well.

You, as a prime example...

You've crossposted far more than I have, by simple virtue of the
massive volume of crap you've posted. And I challenge you to find an
example of me forging or lying. No, Maxie, you are the best example
of everything you rant about.

And it's a newsgroup, you idiot.

If you don't want to be associated with Bertie, quit swinging from his
coat tales, lamer.

and how exactly is he doing that, maderator wannabe?

You hitched your name to his cause all by yourself.

Waht cause?

Smacking ****s like you over the head?

Bertie
Old June 10th 08, 10:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

"

Of course this Usenet moron has no idea that we just buried our son
after losing him to cancer.

Truly sorry to hear of your loss Dudley.

Kind of ironic that you and the person that said that, both sock
puppet for the same wannabe troll.

From my perspective, you must share some of the responsibility for the
sleezeball joining our group.

Truly sad.

You are indeed.

Bertie
Old June 10th 08, 10:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.usenet.kooks,alt.alien.vampire.flonk.flonk.flonk
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

Rich Ahrens wrote in
. net:

on 6/9/2008 7:48 PM Maxwell said the following:
"Rich Ahrens" wrote in message
ouse.com...
on 6/9/2008 6:13 PM Maxwell said the following:

In fact, I'd like to take the time to thank Bertie and all his sock
puppets, for the not only the cross posting, forging and lying that
you all as a group have sponsored to this forum, but also some of
the world class filth you have brought to the group as well.

You, as a prime example...

You've crossposted far more than I have, by simple virtue of the
massive volume of crap you've posted. And I challenge you to find an
example of me forging or lying. No, Maxie, you are the best example
of everything you rant about.

And it's a newsgroup, you idiot.

If you don't want to be associated with Bertie, quit swinging from
his coat tales, lamer.

You hitched your name to his cause all by yourself.

Only in your worm-ridden brain.

I'm through arguing with an idiot. You just keep on digging your hole,
Maxie. Everyone can see you for what you are.

To be fair, that doesn't make him any less entertaining.

Bertie

Old June 10th 08, 10:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

on 6/9/2008 3:14 PM Maxwell said the following:
"Dudley Henriques" wrote in message
Yes, by all means let's take a look at some of the advantages of an
unmoderated Usenet forum..........like this gem for example, posted
yesterday by some idiot posting here on this Usenet forum using a
false name.

"Dudley Henriques blithered dramatically whilst picking the gonad
hairs from his teeth once fluffy on the testicles of his retaded
son "

Of course this Usenet moron has no idea that we just buried our son
after losing him to cancer.

Truly sorry to hear of your loss Dudley.

Kind of ironic that you and the person that said that, both sock
puppet for the same wannabe troll.

From my perspective, you must share some of the responsibility for
the sleezeball joining our group.

Truly sad.

If there were any doubt in anyone's mind whether you're a dickhead,
you just put it to rest once and for all.

And by virtue of the fact you are also a proud suckpuppet (or suck
ass) for Bertie. You must also share a good bit of the responsibility
yourself.

In fact, I'd like to take the time to thank Bertie and all his sock
puppets, for the not only the cross posting, forging and lying that
you all as a group have sponsored to this forum, but also some of the
world class filth you have brought to the group as well.

I thought you were here before, slimebucket.

Waht's next on your calender, mocking some kids with MS?

Bertie