Landing without flaps

Old April 5th 08, 09:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
george

Default Landing without flaps

On Apr 4, 4:27 pm, wrote:

OTOH I wonder how long a 150 could remain in a maximum effort slip
without hitting the ground before a noticable/detectable fuel
imbalance developed?

Saw some-one once do a local with the 'ability' to fly one wing low in
a C150.
He lost about a third of his fuel through the low tank overflow
Old April 5th 08, 10:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting

On Sat, 5 Apr 2008 17:51:27 +0000 (UTC), Bertie the Bunyip
wrote:

wrote in :

On Fri, 4 Apr 2008 08:03:59 +0000 (UTC), Bertie the Bunyip
wrote:

wrote in news:21bbv3tlno484t5qe9krlvo19av0g23b5o@

4ax.com:

On Mon, 3 Mar 2008 21:56:54 +0000 (UTC), Bertie the Bunyip

wrote:

All things considered, I wonder how long you'd have to circle in a
coordinated turn at 60, or 45 degrees before there was a fuel
imbalance? :-)) Pattern turns ARE STILL supposed to be

coordinated
aren't they?cough

OTOH I wonder how long a 150 could remain in a maximum effort slip
without hitting the ground before a noticable/detectable fuel
imbalance developed?

with.

Well, i know someone who unported a Bird-dog slipping and ended up
deadsticking. They have no both selection, though.

I've unported the Deb too, but it wasn't due to fuel running to the
other side:-)) No baffels in the tanks.

So, you were slipping towards the feeding tank, or was it turbulence or

Tis limited in POH (but not placarded) to 20 seconds in any one
direction. I was just out doing some steep slips practicing to see
which method would get me down fastest in an emergency.
I just held a wing down a tad too long. It started as soon as I rolled
it level.

It'll un port toward either tank regardless of which is feeding.

Go to the POH emergency let down, (power off, gear down, flaps up) and
then add a max effort slip and the rate of descent can get pretty
impressive. I'd probably scare the crap out of any passengers, but if
something requires an emergency descent that would be the least of my
worries.

something?

Bertie

Old April 5th 08, 11:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

wrote in :

On Sat, 5 Apr 2008 17:51:27 +0000 (UTC), Bertie the Bunyip
wrote:

wrote in news:nfaev3hid96amp30ivek5impbs4pei6l55@

4ax.com:

wrote:

[...]

?? Really? If you slip in either direction you'll unprt regardless of
which tank is feeding? I can't get my head around that. Can you exapnad
a bit?

Go to the POH emergency let down, (power off, gear down, flaps up) and
then add a max effort slip and the rate of descent can get pretty
impressive. I'd probably scare the crap out of any passengers, but if
something requires an emergency descent that would be the least of my
worries.

Well, exactly. Whether they're there to praise you or damn you , they're
there to do it.

bertie
Old April 5th 08, 11:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

george wrote in news:1423eebd-6a80-40dd-b045-1138d02653c5
@q10g2000prf.googlegroups.com:

On Apr 4, 4:27 pm, wrote:

OTOH I wonder how long a 150 could remain in a maximum effort slip
without hitting the ground before a noticable/detectable fuel
imbalance developed?

Saw some-one once do a local with the 'ability' to fly one wing low in
a C150.
He lost about a third of his fuel through the low tank overflow

He would have done, OK.

Bertie
Old April 6th 08, 07:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting

wrote:

[...]

Apparently it has to do with the location of the feeds in the tanks.
I've never tried it with full tanks or worked at finding out just how
low I could get before it'd do that or compared the feeding tank level
Vs the other so there must be a specific fuel level the tanks must be
down and I'd not doubt it'd be different between the one feeding and
the other. Maybe I can go out and to the occasional slip each way to
see how much each tank has to be down before it quits.

Go to the POH emergency let down, (power off, gear down, flaps up) and
then add a max effort slip and the rate of descent can get pretty
impressive. I'd probably scare the crap out of any passengers, but if
something requires an emergency descent that would be the least of my
worries.

Well, exactly. Whether they're there to praise you or damn you , they're
there to do it.

That's the point for every one to shut up and say put except the
pilot. Unless the see a potential collision.

bertie

Roger (K8RI) ARRL Life Member
N833R (World's oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

flaps again Kobra Piloting 107 January 5th 08 04:31 PM
flaps again Kobra Owning 84 January 5th 08 04:32 AM
flaps Kobra[_4_] Owning 85 July 16th 07 06:16 PM
Flaps on take-off and landing Mxsmanic Piloting 397 September 22nd 06 09:02 AM
FLAPS skysailor Soaring 36 September 7th 05 05:28 AM