Lightweight covering of 1/8 inch G1S plywood

Old August 5th 08, 03:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Lightweight covering of 1/8 inch G1S plywood

What can good one side 1/8 plywood be covered with for asthetics/
protection ?

1. paint - how much weight per square foot per coat after the paint
dries?

2. glue on white vinyl wallpaper

3. glue on grocery store aluminum foil

4. other options

Old August 5th 08, 04:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

wrote in message
What can good one side 1/8 plywood be covered with for asthetics/
protection ?

1. paint - how much weight per square foot per coat after the paint
dries?

2. glue on white vinyl wallpaper

3. glue on grocery store aluminum foil

4. other options

Give us a clue on where and what the application is.

Inside an aircraft, outside of aircraft? Where on the aircraft? Or is an
aircraft at all?
--
Jim in NC

Old August 5th 08, 05:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Orval Fairbairn[_2_]

In article
,
" wrote:

What can good one side 1/8 plywood be covered with for asthetics/
protection ?

1. paint - how much weight per square foot per coat after the paint
dries?

2. glue on white vinyl wallpaper

3. glue on grocery store aluminum foil

4. other options

Normally, plywood aircraft are covered with lightweight, doped fabric
("glider cloth"). See CAM 18.

Old August 5th 08, 05:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

"Orval Fairbairn" wrote

Normally, plywood aircraft are covered with lightweight, doped fabric
("glider cloth"). See CAM 18.

Many are also using a very light grade of fiberglass cloth and resin if it
is on the outside of the craft. That is what Falco recommends, IIRC.
--
Jim in NC

Old August 5th 08, 07:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Application is exterior on fuselage.
Old August 5th 08, 07:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

wrote in message
Application is exterior on fuselage.

Personally, I would go with the fiberglass and resin. Fabric and dope
works, but glass should last forever.

Oh, I've been told that the surface under the glass must be as smooth as the
finish you want to achieve.
--
Jim in NC

Old August 6th 08, 04:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Orval Fairbairn[_2_]

In article ,
"Morgans" wrote:

wrote in message
Application is exterior on fuselage.

Personally, I would go with the fiberglass and resin. Fabric and dope
works, but glass should last forever.

Oh, I've been told that the surface under the glass must be as smooth as the
finish you want to achieve.

Too heavy! Doped Ceconite (or Stits) essentially last forever, too, as
long as you keep the bird hangared. And -- you can get a mirror finish,
if you desire. The secret is lots of thin coats of dope, sanded between
coats, then polished.

Old August 6th 08, 06:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

"Orval Fairbairn" wrote

Too heavy! Doped Ceconite (or Stits) essentially last forever, too, as
long as you keep the bird hangared. And -- you can get a mirror finish,
if you desire. The secret is lots of thin coats of dope, sanded between
coats, then polished.

Yeah, I hear you, but I think you are not thinking light enough on the
weight or the fiberglass cloth. I'm talking the weight of cloth that would
be used for model airplanes. I recall that using that, it is barely heavier
than fabric and dope.

Rich Shankland's Emerald used glass, I believe. Many Falcos go with glass.

I don't doubt that fabric and dope is very good. I'm just putting the info
out that glass is also an option, and one that many prefer.
--
Jim in NC

Old August 6th 08, 06:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Ed Sullivan

On Tue, 05 Aug 2008 23:13:44 -0400, Orval Fairbairn
wrote:

In article ,
"Morgans" wrote:

wrote in message
Application is exterior on fuselage.

Personally, I would go with the fiberglass and resin. Fabric and dope
works, but glass should last forever.

Oh, I've been told that the surface under the glass must be as smooth as the
finish you want to achieve.

Too heavy! Doped Ceconite (or Stits) essentially last forever, too, as
long as you keep the bird hangared. And -- you can get a mirror finish,
if you desire. The secret is lots of thin coats of dope, sanded between
coats, then polished.

Actually Model airplane glass is probably no heavier than Dacron and
more durable.
Old August 6th 08, 06:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
cavelamb himself[_4_]

Ed Sullivan wrote:

On Tue, 05 Aug 2008 23:13:44 -0400, Orval Fairbairn
wrote:

In article ,
"Morgans" wrote:

wrote in message

Application is exterior on fuselage.

Personally, I would go with the fiberglass and resin. Fabric and dope
works, but glass should last forever.

Oh, I've been told that the surface under the glass must be as smooth as the
finish you want to achieve.

Too heavy! Doped Ceconite (or Stits) essentially last forever, too, as
long as you keep the bird hangared. And -- you can get a mirror finish,
if you desire. The secret is lots of thin coats of dope, sanded between
coats, then polished.

Actually Model airplane glass is probably no heavier than Dacron and
more durable.

1/2 ounce per square yard verses 1.7

--

Richard

(remove the X to email)

lightweight headset John T Piloting 4 July 5th 06 05:44 PM
NEED: Source for 2 pcs Aluminium Plate 1 Inch x 4 inch 5 foot length Spar Home Built 4 March 12th 04 12:31 AM
NEED: Source for 2 pcs Aluminium Plate 1 Inch x 4 inch 5 foot length Spar Aviation Marketplace 4 March 12th 04 12:31 AM
NEED: Source for 2 pcs Aluminium Plate 1 Inch x 4 inch 5 foot length Spar General Aviation 4 March 12th 04 12:31 AM
lightweight helmet Joa Home Built 16 January 14th 04 09:59 PM