PA32-260

Old January 29th 04, 09:07 AM
Paul Sengupta

Must have been a good headwind when they tested the '73 and
earlier 260!

Paul

"Max T, CFI" wrote in message
My really old copy of the Aircraft Bluebook Price Digest shows the

following T/O ground runs:
PA28-300 '73 and later 900'
PA28-300 '72 and earlier 1050'
PA28-260 '74-'78 1200'
PA28-260 '73 and earlier 740'

All four show a gross weight of 3400 lbs.
Max T, MCFI

Old January 29th 04, 03:11 PM
Greg Esres

PA32-260 '73 and earlier 740'

740 ft. is what the majority of web sources are showing for this
model. The one contrarian shows 1200.

Given the discrepancy between the -260 models, 740 ft must surely be
an error, unless there were a gross weight change.

Thanks for the info.
Old January 29th 04, 05:24 PM
Ray Andraka

That looks like the landing distance, not the take-off roll. I don't
have my POH handy (it is in the plane), but as I recall the landing
distance in there is around 750' and the takeoff roll is around 1200'.
I've been able to get pretty close to that 750' landing distance on
several occasions. The 1200' take-off roll is not going to happen
unless everything is absolutely perfect, including your execution (and
even then, you may still need a headwind). My POH has listings for both
the 300 and the 260. I own a '65 260.

I prefer the 260 over the 300 because you have some 40 lbs more useful
load and 3 GPH lower fuel burn while giving up very little in terms of
airspeed, which gives you a greater range.

--
--Ray Andraka, P.E.
401/884-7930 Fax 401/884-7950

-Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Old January 29th 04, 05:50 PM
Greg Esres

That looks like the landing distance, not the take-off roll.

According to these websites, the landing distance is 630 or 640,
depending on the site. But the 740 could be a typo along with a
misreading.

Thanks for the data about your own airplane. My student bought the
-260 partially due to the reputed superior short field capability, so
he's not going to like what I have to tell him.
Old January 29th 04, 08:07 PM
Ray Andraka

I would not call a 260 a short field airplane, at least not when it is
loaded up. A hot day at a 2300' near sea level strip with trees at the
end will get your attention (Laurel Suburban-W18 for example), even at
2900 lbs. IIRC, the book does have ground roll and distance to clear an
obstacle. You can shorten the ground roll somewhat by popping in 25
degrees flaps as you get close to Vso, which will get you off the ground,
but then you need to fly in ground effect for a while to accelerate to
Vx, otherwise you wind up back on the ground. In that scenario, I bet
you can get off the ground in that 740', but it ain't gonna help you
unless the obstacles are no taller than about 6" for the next 800' or so.

Old January 31st 04, 02:33 AM
Greg Esres

My student ordered a new POH from Piper, but it includes NO
performance information, including no V-speeds. Any suggestions as to
how this could be?
Old January 31st 04, 03:15 PM
EDR

In article , Greg Esres
wrote:

My student ordered a new POH from Piper, but it includes NO
performance information, including no V-speeds. Any suggestions as to
how this could be?

What year?

What make/model?
Old January 31st 04, 03:16 PM
EDR

In article , Greg Esres
wrote:

My student ordered a new POH from Piper, but it includes NO
performance information, including no V-speeds. Any suggestions as to
how this could be?

Check it.
Piper tends to display information in chart form, found in the
PERFORMANCE section.
Old January 31st 04, 03:20 PM
EDR

In article , Greg Esres
wrote:

My student ordered a new POH from Piper, but it includes NO
performance information, including no V-speeds. Any suggestions as to
how this could be?

Information is found scattered throughout the manual.
Some things are found in NORMAL PROCEDURES, some in PERFORMANCE.
Yet others can only be found by thoroughly reading the entire manual.
Especially if they are in a NOTE or WARNING item.
Old February 1st 04, 05:32 AM
Greg Esres

What year? What make/model?

PA32-260, not sure what year--'68 or thereabouts. I do see references
on the web to "B", "C", "D" models, but, according to the student,
that information is not available on the airplane. I checked the type
certificate, and it doesn't indicate the existence of anything other
than the plane ole -260.

Check it.

I will on Monday.

Piper tends to display information in chart form, found in the
PERFORMANCE section.

I have many Piper POH's, but none from the 60's.

Thanks.