reporting dangerous aircraft

Old September 28th 05, 03:06 PM

Default reporting dangerous aircraft

In rec.aviation.misc JTurner wrote:

Yesterday, we had a helicopter flying dangerously low (maybe 200-250 feet)
over our house. I looked at the FAA site to determine the correct place to
report it, but after going thru the phone maze - I ended up with a
recording. Do you folks know the correct snailmail address to report
dangerous flying aircraft?

Why do you think this is dangerous?

Helicopters operate under different rules than airplanes.

My understanding is that while an airplane must remain "1000 above the
highest object within 2000" horizontal distance, a helicopter must
merely not impose an "undue" hazard to people or property on the
ground. If the helicopter pilot has a safe place to land picked out
that does not create an "undue" hazard, 200 feet is not unreasonable.

While you might object to the noise, I think it is incorrect to
"assume" this is a "dangerous flying aircraft".

Best regards,

Jer/ "Flight instruction and mountain flying are my vocation!" Eberhard

--
Jer/ (Slash) Eberhard, Mountain Flying Aviation, LTD, Ft Collins, CO
CELL 970 231-6325 EMAIL jer'at'frii.com WEB http://users.frii.com/jer/
Old September 28th 05, 06:14 PM
Hoyt D. Slaton

[...]

-------------------------

Sec. 91.119 - Minimum safe altitudes: General.

Except when necessary for takeoff or landing, no person may operate an
aircraft below the following altitudes:

(a) Anywhere. An altitude allowing, if a power unit fails, an emergency
landing without undue hazard to persons or property on the surface.

(b) Over congested areas. Over any congested area of a city, town, or
settlement, or over any open air assembly of persons, an altitude of
1,000 feet above the highest obstacle within a horizontal radius of
2,000 feet of the aircraft.

(c) Over other than congested areas. An altitude of 500 feet above the
surface, except over open water or sparsely populated areas. In those
cases, the aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to any
person, vessel, vehicle, or structure.

(d) Helicopters. Helicopters may be operated at less than the minimums
prescribed in paragraph (b) or (c) of this section if the operation is
conducted without hazard to persons or property on the surface. In
addition, each person operating a helicopter shall comply with any
routes or altitudes specifically prescribed for helicopters by the
Administrator.
Old September 29th 05, 12:29 AM
Jon A

On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 07:46:40 +0000, JTurner
wrote:

Hi All,

Yesterday, we had a helicopter flying dangerously low (maybe 200-250 feet)
over our house. I looked at the FAA site to determine the correct place to
report it, but after going thru the phone maze - I ended up with a
recording. Do you folks know the correct snailmail address to report
dangerous flying aircraft?

John

1-800-EAT-****

Old October 20th 05, 09:15 AM
nooks!!

im not sure if this one can provide help but still try to check it,
heres the link,
http://www.tpub.com/aviation1.htm
try to visit it, i believe it was an informative site!