"Street pattern" notation on charts?

Old April 9th 07, 01:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default "Street pattern" notation on charts?

Hello all!

I'm wondering about a notation I've seen on a couple of VFR sectional
charts. A small area - no bigger than about 3 or 4 miles on a side -
will be outlined with thin black dashed lines, with a note "street
pattern". The note is in the same typeface used for other landmarks
like "golf course", "plant", "hospital", etc. Does it mean something
like "unusual street pattern that is a good visual landmark"? Or
something closer to "this might sort of look like a runway, but it's
not, so don't land on it"? I've looked through the User's Guide at
http://www.naco.faa.gov/index.asp?xm...ine/aero_guide but the
answer didn't jump out at me; is there a better place to look for things
like this?

One example is about 10 miles due east of MKO (Muskogee, Oklahoma). See
http://skyvector.com/perl/code?id=KMKO&scale=2 and look east of MKO and
just north of the small town of Braggs. (For those of you keeping score
at home, this is on the Dallas-Ft. Worth sectional.) Here is a Google
Maps satellite photo of the same area:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&z=14...-95.189667&t=h

Thanks!

Matt Roberds

Old April 9th 07, 03:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Dohm

wrote in message
[...]

The one that I was familiar with was a case of a a good sized development
that had, for want of a better word, fizzled. Basically, it was a
development started in the sixties with all of the infrastructure, streets
and utilities, in place; but only a small percentage of the homes were
built. The visual effect was that of a small city without the homes.
Effectively, it is a daytime landmark, but won't appear as a lighted area at
night. Therefore, it was charted in the manner you described--rather than
the filled in yellow of a typical town or city.

For any who are curious, the area of that type that I most clearly recall is
called Lehigh Acres and is located in southwest Florida--however, I have
been told that it was finally built out in our recent "land boom." I have
not seem it recently, either from the air or by chart, so I really don't
know the current status(s).

Peter

Old April 9th 07, 03:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gene Seibel

not, so don't land on it"? I've looked through the User's Guide athttp://www.naco.faa.gov/index.asp?xml=naco/online/aero_guidebut the
answer didn't jump out at me; is there a better place to look for things
like this?

One example is about 10 miles due east of MKO (Muskogee, Oklahoma). Seehttp://skyvector.com/perl/code?id=KMKO&scale=2and look east of MKO and
just north of the small town of Braggs. (For those of you keeping score
at home, this is on the Dallas-Ft. Worth sectional.) Here is a Google
Maps satellite photo of the same area:http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&z=14...-95.189667&t=h

Thanks!

Matt Roberds

I believe the street patterns are there as land marks, however I have
seen a dragstrip or two on a chart, and I suspect those are there so
as to not be confused with a landing strip.
--
Gene Seibel
Gene & Sue's Flying Machine - http://pad39a.com/gene/

Old April 9th 07, 05:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Barrow[_4_]

wrote in message
[...]

IIUC, it's where streets were laid out, but no buildings erected (ie, RE
development gone bust).

Old April 9th 07, 11:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ben Jackson

On 2007-04-09, Peter Dohm wrote:
The one that I was familiar with was a case of a a good sized development
that had, for want of a better word, fizzled.

I turned in to one of those when I was visiting Houston, TX. It was
a whole suburban neighborhood of roads, with mature trees all around,
but no houses at all. It was surreal. Houston also had highway ramps
going nowhere (with matching rusted out cranes). I got the impression
that the money dried up suddenly one day and everyone just walked away.

--
Ben Jackson AD7GD

http://www.ben.com/
Old April 10th 07, 01:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
JGalban via AviationKB.com

Matt Barrow wrote:

IIUC, it's where streets were laid out, but no buildings erected (ie, RE
development gone bust).

Yep. There are a lot of these out here in the southwest. I've even seen a
few that were designated as street patterns, then during one of the
inevitable housing booms, were resurrected into actual neighborhoods.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Old April 10th 07, 02:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike Adams[_2_]

Some Other Guy wrote:

JGalban via AviationKB.com wrote:
Matt Barrow wrote:

IIUC, it's where streets were laid out, but no buildings erected (ie, RE
development gone bust).

Yep. There are a lot of these out here in the southwest. I've even
seen a
few that were designated as street patterns, then during one of the
inevitable housing booms, were resurrected into actual neighborhoods.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Do you have any lat/lon coordinates?

It sounds like it could be an interesting Google Earth trip.

There's one at N32.554, W111.717. I have heard that there is one of these in this area south of Phoenix
that is an old World War II Japanese interment camp. Not sure if this is it. It doesn't look like it on Google
Earth (named streets and some houses).

Mike
Old April 10th 07, 02:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Mike Adams writes:

There's one at N32.554, W111.717. I have heard that there is one of these
in this area south of Phoenix that is an old World War II Japanese interment
camp. Not sure if this is it. It doesn't look like it on Google Earth (named
streets and some houses).

That would be the Gila River camp, which is he

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie...06952&t=k&om=1

It looks abandoned.

The place you're looking at seems to be just another one of those abandoned or
underdeveloped subdivisions that one sees in areas like Phoenix.

Old April 10th 07, 03:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike Adams[_2_]

Mxsmanic wrote:

That would be the Gila River camp, which is he

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie...02,-111.830392
&spn=0.004455,0.006952&t=k&om=1

It looks abandoned.

The place you're looking at seems to be just another one of those
abandoned or underdeveloped subdivisions that one sees in areas like
Phoenix.

Yes, that's the spot I was looking for. Interesting curving pattern of irrigated farm fields to the northwest
makes it easy to spot. However, I don't see that one on the sectional or TAC with the "street pattern"
identification. I guess it's just viewed to be not that clearly visible as a landmark. The historical aspect is
interesting, however.

Mike

"Guilty" of Flying the Wrong Pattern? Marco Leon Piloting 51 November 2nd 06 01:56 AM
Old polish aircraft TS-8 "Bies" ("Bogy") - for sale >pk Aviation Marketplace 0 October 16th 06 07:48 AM
"Replay" your pattern practice on MSFS Marty Ross Simulators 2 November 25th 05 04:34 PM
"Replay" your pattern practice on MSFS Marty Ross Products 2 November 25th 05 04:34 PM