Range of Catalina seaplane?

Old August 17th 05, 07:20 PM
W. D. Allen Sr.

Default Range of Catalina seaplane?

What was the range of a WWII Navy Catalina?

end

It has removed 177 spam emails to date.
Try www.SPAMfighter.com for free now!

Old August 18th 05, 03:29 AM
Boomerang

PBY-1 2,115 miles/1210 miles with 2000lb bomb load
PBY-2 2,131 miles/1242 miles with bomb load
PBY-3 2,175 miles/1258 with bomb load
PBY-4 2,076 miles/1285 with bomb load

When the fives (-5 and -5A) and the -6 came around, they quoted 2,500 miles
as a patrol range which was pretty close with the dash 92 engines, but a lot
depended on thecfewand ordnance load.

Old August 18th 05, 04:35 AM
Peter Stickney

W. D. Allen Sr. wrote:

What was the range of a WWII Navy Catalina?

My PBY-6A Standard Aircraft Characteristics gives the following
numbers:
ASW Patrol, with full internal fuel (8,778#) & 4 325# Depth Charges
under the wings: 1705 NMi at 1500'/102 Kts

Bomber, with 4 1,000# bombs under the wings and 6,756# of fuel,
1250 NMi at 1500', 104 Kts.

Search,m with 2 150 U.S. Gallon drop tanks (10,578# of gas)
2075 NMi at 1500', 104 Kts.

--
Pete Stickney
Java Man knew nothing about coffee.
Old August 19th 05, 04:10 AM
Matt Richards

"Peter Stickney" wrote in message
W. D. Allen Sr. wrote:

What was the range of a WWII Navy Catalina?

My PBY-6A Standard Aircraft Characteristics gives the following
numbers:
ASW Patrol, with full internal fuel (8,778#) & 4 325# Depth Charges
under the wings: 1705 NMi at 1500'/102 Kts

Bomber, with 4 1,000# bombs under the wings and 6,756# of fuel,
1250 NMi at 1500', 104 Kts.

Search,m with 2 150 U.S. Gallon drop tanks (10,578# of gas)
2075 NMi at 1500', 104 Kts.

--
Pete Stickney
Java Man knew nothing about coffee.

While not Navy, the Qantas "Double Sunrise" Perth-Ceylon PBY flights were
about 3500 miles.

Matt.