THE VETERANS BAR

Old February 23rd 05, 02:48 AM
Red Rider

Default THE VETERANS BAR

Four retired Navy and Marine vets are walking down the street
window-shopping.

Then they turn a corner and see a sign that says "Veterans Bar" over the
doorway of an entry into an establishment that doesn't look all that well
kept up.

They look at each other then go in.

On the inside, they realize in this case, they could judge the 'book by it's
cover'.

The old bartender says in a voice that carries across the room, "Come on in
and let me pour one for you! What'll it be, gentlemen?"

There seems to be a fully stocked bar so the men all ask for a martini.

In short time the bartender serves up 4 iced martinis - shaken not stirred
and says, "That'll be 40 cents for the round, please."

The four men stare at the bartender for a moment then look at each
other -they can't believe their good luck. They pay the 40 cents, finish
their martinis and order another round.

Again, four excellent martinis are produced with the bartender again saying,
"That's 40 more cents, please."

They pay the 40 cents but their curiosity is more than they can stand.
They've each had two martinis and so far they've spent less than a dollar.

Finally one of the men says, "How can you afford to serve martinis as good
as these for a dime a piece?"

The bartender replies, "No doubt you've noticed the decor in here. And the
outside ain't nothin' to write home about either. I don't waste money on
that stuff.

But, here's my story. I'm a retired Master Sergeant and I always wanted to
own a bar.

Last year I hit the lottery for $45 million and decided to open this place
for real veterans.

Every drink costs a dime, wine, liquor, beer, all the same."

"Wow. That's quite a story." says one of the men.

The four of them sipped at their martinis and couldn't help but notice three
other guys at the end of the bar who didn't have a drink in front of them
and hadn't ordered anything the whole time they were there.

One man finished his martini and, gestured at the three at the end of the
bar without drinks and asks the bartender, "What's with them?"

The bartender says, "Oh, those are retired Navy Captains.

They're waiting for happy hour."