Cambridge GPS-NAV Aero Explorer error on log download

Old July 13th 18, 12:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Foertsch[_2_]

Default Cambridge GPS-NAV Aero Explorer error on log download

I have a Cambridge GPS-NAV. I am trying to download a flight log. It looks like the Aero Explorer software is reading it from the GPS-NAV ok, but then a dialog box pops up with an error msg "Error writing flight log to disk."

I was able to download logs earlier this year, but was running on a different PC with Windows 7 (I think). I now am using a machine with Windows 8.1. I did try turning off the Avast antivirus software with no luck.

I was able to download the log via SeeYou but I wanted to download it via the Cambridge software for use as an official flight for badge purposes.

Any ideas on what to try other than finding a PC with an older version of Windows? (Or upgrading my logger?)

Old July 13th 18, 02:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kinsell

On 07/13/2018 05:46 AM, Eric Foertsch wrote:
I have a Cambridge GPS-NAV. I am trying to download a flight log. It looks like the Aero Explorer software is reading it from the GPS-NAV ok, but then a dialog box pops up with an error msg "Error writing flight log to disk."

I was able to download logs earlier this year, but was running on a different PC with Windows 7 (I think). I now am using a machine with Windows 8.1. I did try turning off the Avast antivirus software with no luck.

I was able to download the log via SeeYou but I wanted to download it via the Cambridge software for use as an official flight for badge purposes.

If SeeYou works, just use it. No requirement to use Cambridge software.
Check the dates, many old recorders will show a date 18 years in the
past, invalidating the log. Submit to OLC as an easy check for IGC
security being valid.

Get rid of Windows 8.1, it was a disaster. M$ tried to upgrade everyone
to 10. But using obsolete software and hardware with modern OS's leads
to lots of problems. Update to something like an LXNAV Nano, which acts
like a USB memory device and lets you just copy the file out easily.
Trying to use RS-232 devices in this day and age is a waste of time.

-Dave

Any ideas on what to try other than finding a PC with an older version of Windows? (Or upgrading my logger?)

Old July 13th 18, 02:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

If SeeYou works, just use it. No requirement to use Cambridge software.

Get rid of Windows 8.1, it was a disaster.
Update to something like an LXNAV Nano, which acts like a USB memory device
and lets you just copy the file out easily.
Trying to use RS-232 devices in this day and age is a waste of time.

-Dave

I wrote the Cambridge Aero Explorer, and I agree with Dave's comments.

If you still want to use the GPS-NAV with CAE, out of a sense of nostalgia, or whatever, the file write errors you are getting could be due to the workspace not being valid. Make sure it references a valid file location.

You can PM me if you wish further support.

Guy Byars
Old July 13th 18, 03:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kinsell

On 07/13/2018 07:21 AM, kinsell wrote:
On 07/13/2018 05:46 AM, Eric Foertsch wrote:
I have a Cambridge GPS-NAV. I am trying to download a flight log. It
looks like the Aero Explorer software is reading it from the GPS-NAV
ok, but then a dialog box pops up with an error msg "Error writing
flight log to disk."

I was able to download logs earlier this year, but was running on a
different PC with Windows 7 (I think). I now am using a machine with
Windows 8.1. I did try turning off the Avast antivirus software with
no luck.

I was able to download the log via SeeYou but I wanted to download it
via the Cambridge software for use as an official flight for badge
purposes.

If SeeYou works, just use it.Â* No requirement to use Cambridge software.
Â*Check the dates, many old recorders will show a date 18 years in the
past, invalidating the log.Â* Submit to OLC as an easy check for IGC
security being valid.

Get rid of Windows 8.1, it was a disaster.Â* M$ tried to upgrade everyone
to 10.Â* But using obsolete software and hardware with modern OS's leads
to lots of problems.Â* Update to something like an LXNAV Nano, which acts
like a USB memory device and lets you just copy the file out easily.
Trying to use RS-232 devices in this day and age is a waste of time.

-Dave

If you happen to have PowerFlarm, then enabling the igc logging is
another good alternative. This saved me when the RS-232 link from my
CAI 302 into my Tophat computer stopped working at a camp this year.

The GPS-NAV puts out a binary .cai file, which is secure but
proprietary. Has to be converted to .igc with an external program.
Definitely time to move on.

-Dave

Old July 13th 18, 03:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

I was very disappointed to see that I would have to pay a bounty to get
igc logging with my PF Portable.Â* Thankfully, both my ClearNav II and
ClearNav XC varios generate an igc file and it's much easier to retrieve
than from the PF.

On 7/13/2018 8:25 AM, kinsell wrote:
On 07/13/2018 07:21 AM, kinsell wrote:
On 07/13/2018 05:46 AM, Eric Foertsch wrote:
I have a Cambridge GPS-NAV. I am trying to download a flight log. It
looks like the Aero Explorer software is reading it from the GPS-NAV
ok, but then a dialog box pops up with an error msg "Error writing
flight log to disk."

I was able to download logs earlier this year, but was running on a
different PC with Windows 7 (I think). I now am using a machine with
Windows 8.1. I did try turning off the Avast antivirus software with
no luck.

I was able to download the log via SeeYou but I wanted to download
it via the Cambridge software for use as an official flight for
badge purposes.

If SeeYou works, just use it.Â* No requirement to use Cambridge
software. Â*Â*Check the dates, many old recorders will show a date 18
years in the past, invalidating the log.Â* Submit to OLC as an easy
check for IGC security being valid.

Get rid of Windows 8.1, it was a disaster.Â* M$ tried to upgrade
everyone to 10.Â* But using obsolete software and hardware with modern
OS's leads to lots of problems.Â* Update to something like an LXNAV
Nano, which acts like a USB memory device and lets you just copy the
file out easily. Trying to use RS-232 devices in this day and age is
a waste of time.

-Dave

If you happen to have PowerFlarm, then enabling the igc logging is
another good alternative.Â* This saved me when the RS-232 link from my
CAI 302 into my Tophat computer stopped working at a camp this year.

The GPS-NAV puts out a binary .cai file, which is secure but
proprietary.Â* Has to be converted to .igc with an external program.
Definitely time to move on.

-Dave

--
Dan, 5J
Old July 13th 18, 03:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kinsell

Yeah I hate that pricing model, you pay for something, then pay again if
you actually want to use it. I had to pay for both igc secure logging
and ENL to use with the motorglider.

PF does give you a non-secure file by default though, which can be used
with their range-checking software. That's nice to show how much better
range the Core gives than a Portable :-)

-Dave

Old July 13th 18, 03:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Foertsch[_2_]

Thanks Guy.
Old July 13th 18, 04:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Foertsch[_2_]

Thanks Kinsell for this and prior comment.

I guess I didn't notice (or forgot) that SeeYou produces a .cai file also.

I am assuming thoug that logs from the GPS-NAV would need to be submitted in .cai format. When I look at the flight in both igc and cai format in SeeYou I get a 'Flight integrity: Unknown?'. But when I check the cai file back in Aero Explored it says it is valid.

Thanks again.
Old July 13th 18, 04:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Could be as stupid as......
Corrupted card.....reformat on new PC (32 bit vs. 64 bit can be an issue).
Failed card
Different type of OS (32 bit vs. 64 bit).

Yep, never liked 8.1.
I use mostly XP, some on 10.
Old July 13th 18, 05:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kinsell

On 07/13/2018 09:13 AM, Eric Foertsch wrote:
Thanks Kinsell for this and prior comment.

I guess I didn't notice (or forgot) that SeeYou produces a .cai file also.

I am assuming thoug that logs from the GPS-NAV would need to be submitted in .cai format. When I look at the flight in both igc and cai format in SeeYou I get a 'Flight integrity: Unknown?'. But when I check the cai file back in Aero Explored it says it is valid.

Thanks again.

I haven't flown badges or records for many years, so not sure what
they're doing today with a GPS-NAV. Back in the day, you submitted both
the .cai and .igc files. Kinda silly, since the .cai file was the only
one with real security. Anybody could generate an ersatz .igc from .cai.

Try to find the DOS program VALI-CAM.exe as the best test of security.
Maybe Aero Explorer just uses that, or a related .DLL. Likely does.
Guy would know.

Three different ways to have bad files:

1) electronic seal on GPS-NAV could be broken, likely due to dead
battery internally. Or somebody changed the battery w/o keeping the
unit powered up.

2) date could be off.

3) data could be corrupt for other reasons, with bad crc

Good luck.

-Dave