questions for Naval aviators

Old March 11th 05, 11:32 PM
Mike W.

Default questions for Naval aviators

Is anyone here familiar with carrier-based aircraft operations?

My first question is, on naval aircraft, what are the three colored lights
for on the front? Usually mounted on the front landing gear, three different
colors.

Also, last time I was out in San Diego to visit my brother, we visited the
U.S.S. Midway. Among the aircraft on display was a jet trainer, couldn't
tell you the type. Seems like the thing had lights everywhere, including
both red and green nav. lights on each wingtip? What is the purpose of this?

Thanks to anyone who can cure my curiousity.

Old March 12th 05, 12:07 PM
John Carrier

"Mike W." wrote in message
Is anyone here familiar with carrier-based aircraft operations?

A wee bit.

My first question is, on naval aircraft, what are the three colored lights
for on the front? Usually mounted on the front landing gear, three
different
colors.

They're called approach lights. They indicate aircraft angle of attack for
the Landing Signal Officers (typically tied into the landing gear position
.... won't illuminate without 3 down and locked ... and the tailhook ...
flash if the hook isn't down with the correct selection of the field/carrier
switch). Amber indicates on speed + or - 1 unit angle of attack, Green
indicates slow, Red indicates fast. Very useful to monitor the approach
(primarily at night, there are better cues in the daytime).

Also, last time I was out in San Diego to visit my brother, we visited the
U.S.S. Midway. Among the aircraft on display was a jet trainer, couldn't
tell you the type. Seems like the thing had lights everywhere, including
both red and green nav. lights on each wingtip? What is the purpose of
this?

Haven't been there, but the web site indicates they have the T-2C Buckeye.
It has just been retired from intermediate strike training.

R / John

Old March 12th 05, 07:19 PM

Frankly speaking, personally I was interested what are for the "traffic
lights" on the bow end of the carrier (probably they have something to
do with catapults' readiness?) or what exactly mean red, yellow, or
green pins on the aircraft figures in the "ouija board" room;-)

Coming back to your question, Mike, similar angle-of-attack lights
(every one different shape) you can find in the cockpit, close to HUD.

Some years ago I thought they're from weapon status ("armed" - "stand
by" - "safe"), but I was wrong;-)

Best regards,

Jacek

Old March 12th 05, 08:21 PM
Mike W.

"John Carrier" wrote in message

"Mike W." wrote in message
[...]

Thanks, John. I seemed to have gotten a consistent answer on the first
question (angle-of-attack lights) but the red and green nav light on each
wing still has me puzzled. Perhaps it's a training tool for night flying.
For example, the lights are reversed from normal (port green, starboard red)
then a trainer in another plane asks the student, "OK which way is that
plane flying?" Or maybe to confuse the enemy in the ground?

Old March 12th 05, 08:26 PM
Mike W.

here's a link to a pic of one of the wingtips. Anybody have an educated
guess? Other side is the same way.

http://www.clubhyper.com/images/t2cb...nav-lights.jpg

Old March 13th 05, 12:02 AM
Bob Moore

"Mike W." wrote
Thanks, John. I seemed to have gotten a consistent answer on the first
question (angle-of-attack lights) but the red and green nav light on
each wing still has me puzzled. Perhaps it's a training tool for night
flying. For example, the lights are reversed from normal (port green,
starboard red) then a trainer in another plane asks the student, "OK
which way is that plane flying?" Or maybe to confuse the enemy in the
ground?

Naw...they are there so that he has the correct lights when
flying inverted.

Bob Moore
Old March 13th 05, 12:20 AM
John Weiss

"Mike W." wrote...

Among the aircraft on display was a jet trainer, couldn't
tell you the type. Seems like the thing had lights everywhere, including
both red and green nav. lights on each wingtip? What is the purpose of
this?

Haven't been there, but the web site indicates they have the T-2C Buckeye.
It has just been retired from intermediate strike training.

R / John

Thanks, John. I seemed to have gotten a consistent answer on the first
question (angle-of-attack lights) but the red and green nav light on each
wing still has me puzzled.

IIRC, the tip tank light assemblies were "universal" or interchangeable on the
Taco 2 Chalupa. Put it on the other side, and hook up the light you need.

Old March 13th 05, 10:48 PM

Mike,

The lights on the nose gear tell the Landing Signal Officer on board
the carrier whether the plane is 'on speed' or not. That way he knows
if the plane is coming in too fast, or too slow, or 'on speed.' Then
he tells the pilot to either speed up or slow down.

The lights on the wings allow other aircaft to know if the plane they
are seeing in coming or going. Which is really important if you are
at the same altitude.