A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Sun Protection While Soaring - UPF 50+ Clothing

Old April 24th 19, 12:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Sun Protection While Soaring - UPF 50+ Clothing

On Tuesday, April 23, 2019 at 12:48:04 PM UTC-7, Bob Kuykendall wrote:
On Sunday, April 21, 2019 at 9:19:16 PM UTC-7, Bret Hess wrote:

It seems that you have to work hard to get an acrylic that does not block all of UV-B and almost all of UV-B

I'm told that not all acrylic is created equal. Years ago I sold an old free-blown glider canopy transparency to someone with an LS-1 who had lost their original canopy. Later, they took UV measurements and found that the Mecaplex fixed forward canopy blocked a lot more UV than the hinged canopy section they made using the transparency I'd sent. I don't recall whether that was UV-A or UV-B, though.

--Bob K.

That matches my experience. It basically depends on the glider. To know for sure, you have to get a meter and measure your own canopy.
Old April 24th 19, 12:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard DalCanto
external usenet poster

On Friday, April 19, 2019 at 8:44:07 AM UTC-6, JDS wrote:
While looking at the UV damage done to the gelcoat on my glider, it reminds me how much UV radiation we are exposed to while soaring. Particularly out west!

Coolibar (no affilation) is in the Sun Protection Clothing business. Take a look at their website. They are making some great products with innovative materials.

I particularly like their Andros Shirt and fingerless long gloves.
Both with UPF50+ protection.

I got a definitive answer by an aviation plexiglass manufacturer. I don't know how to post a picture here of the UV graph of two different colors with and without extra UV protection. It looks like they all block UVB. It is UVA where they differ, from blocking only under 377nm, to blocking up to 400nm. So you won't get sunburned under any canopy, but you will get various amount of deeper skin damage from UVA based on your particular canopy.
Old April 24th 19, 01:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard DalCanto
external usenet poster

That matches my experience. It basically depends on the glider. To know for sure, you have to get a meter and measure your own canopy.

The problem is measuring. The UV meters I looked at on Amazon just give you a UV index, which will be lower on cloudy days, and higher during the summer on bright sunny days, which means that even though they claim to measure both UVA and UVB, they weigh the UVB much more. You would need to get an expensive meter which gives you the actual data from each part of the spectrum.
Old April 24th 19, 01:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard DalCanto
external usenet poster

I got a definitive answer by an aviation plexiglass manufacturer. I don't know how to post a picture here of the UV graph of two different colors with and without extra UV protection. It looks like they all block UVB. It is UVA where they differ, from blocking only under 377nm, to blocking up to 400nm. So you won't get sunburned under any canopy, but you will get various amount of deeper skin damage from UVA based on your particular canopy.

Well, I guess I should have stated that this is data from one manufacturer..... Based on people getting tanned under their canopies, there maybe some that don't block UVB very well in addition to the UVA. Sorry about that.
Old April 24th 19, 02:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, April 23, 2019 at 12:20:15 PM UTC-4, KarlBoutin wrote:
Having been more than once incommodated by an aweful mix of sweat and solar cream in my eyes while airborne,...

1.Don't put the sunscreen above your eyes. 2.Wear bucket hat and sunglasses. 3.Remove sunscreen from your fingertips. No problemo...
Old April 24th 19, 02:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JDS
external usenet poster

That matches my experience. It basically depends on the glider.

So, I spend a lot of time outdoors. Skiing, cycling, and soaring. I like to use all tools available to me to protect myself from the sun. I wear neck protection while skiing ALL THE TIME now. It works great!

I have Eddie Bauer Travex SPF button-down shirts, Columbia hiking shirts, cycling jersey's, Voler Sunskin sleeves and many rash guards.

These Coolibar products are new. They have a unique approach, great fabrics, great product designs and I like them.

The Adros Shirt I have is a hooded shirt! I wear it as a turtleneck until I deploy the hood and facemask, under my bucket hat. It's nearly 100% coverage! It has long sleeves with finger loops, so I can wear it without gloves if I want!

I think they are great. I use them when I have ground duty at the soaring club, as well as when I fly.

I highly recommend you outdoorsy folks add one to your sun protection arsenal!
Old April 24th 19, 05:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ripacheco1967
external usenet poster

On Friday, April 19, 2019 at 9:44:07 AM UTC-5, JDS wrote:
While looking at the UV damage done to the gelcoat on my glider, it reminds me how much UV radiation we are exposed to while soaring. Particularly out west!

Coolibar (no affilation) is in the Sun Protection Clothing business. Take a look at their website. They are making some great products with innovative materials.

I particularly like their Andros Shirt and fingerless long gloves.
Both with UPF50+ protection.

You'd think by now the canopy would have a UV filter coating... most eyeglasses do.