Wi-Fi at OSH

Old July 31st 07, 03:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Darrel Toepfer

Default Wi-Fi at OSH

Jay Honeck wrote:

http://airventure.org/2007/planning/...i_hotspots.jpg

I mapped them with Ministumbler in my PocketPC, there were far more
available than what was shown...
Old July 31st 07, 03:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Darrel Toepfer

Mike Adams wrote:

So, I'm curious how this new service worked out. Was it free? How was
the access from the North 40? I wasn't there this year, but can see
that this would be very handy for email and weather briefings. Then I
suppose the next challenge will be keeping the laptop batteries
charged.

When you first attempted to pull a webpage, a page popped up that had
you agree to the EAA rules of useage, after that you were never asked
again, so it was probably tracking your MAC address...

Sometimes it worked well, other times it didn't (like trying to pull
some Nexrad when the storms came up on Wednesday). Also I couldn't get
service from the EAA from Jay's camping spot (right at the red light), I
did pull data from the hotel nearby though. Just not enough signal
coming all the way from the Red Barn...

I bought an extra 2100ma battery from a vendor there for my Axim for
$20, I have 12vdc and 120vac chargers, so keeping it peaked wasn't a
problem driving to/from and staying at the B&B in Waupaca...

Old July 31st 07, 03:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Darrel Toepfer

"Blueskies" wrote:

Any way it could do GPS?

"Maemo mapper is a great tool for the people who get lost and it pairs
with most std BT-GPS receivers. A 2GB RS-MMC card(now compatible) can be
used to store maps and other data(music/videos)."

Mapping Software - Free
http://maemo.org/downloads/product/maemo-mapper

BlueTooth GPS - $38 + Shipping
http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?inv...T-BT-5&cat=GPS

1 Gig RS-MMC - $21.85 with Free Shipping
http://www.oempcworld.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?
Screen=PROD&Product_Code=DV-RS-MMC1024
or http://tinyurl.com/2u5x9o

On a side note, I prefer Skype over Gizmo Project for VOIP though:
http://www.skype.com/intl/en/download/skype/linux

I dunno if its compatible...
Old July 31st 07, 06:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Ray Andraka

Mike Adams wrote:

So, I'm curious how this new service worked out. Was it free? How was the access from the North 40? I
wasn't there this year, but can see that this would be very handy for email and weather briefings. Then I
suppose the next challenge will be keeping the laptop batteries charged.

Mike

I was camped a few planes down from Jay, along the fence across the road
from Carpet World. I had no problem getting a wi-fi connection to the
EAA hot-spot with my Sony Vaio T350P, which has a built in 802.11g. The
problem was once you did connect, it got incredibly slow at times,
especially when the storms were coming in. Access was excellent at
off-times however. I couldn't see the Hilton or super-8 hot spots from
my airplane, but if I moved in toward the perimeter road on the airport,
I could see both. I did not have success connecting to either though.

The Sony battery is good for up to 9 hours depending on drive use.
"John Smith" was kind enough to buy a Honda 1KW generator and bring it
over for recharging laptops, cell phones and Garmins (thanks "John").
The power strip was fully populated most of the time he had the
generator running.
Old July 31st 07, 11:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Bob Fry

"DT" == Darrel Toepfer writes:

DT On a side note, I prefer Skype over Gizmo Project for VOIP
DT though: http://www.skype.com/intl/en/download/skype/linux

DT I dunno if its compatible...

Only for Nokia's N800, the model supplanting the 770. Though it's
possible the 770 may also enjoy Skype with a new OS which may come out
later this year.
--
When discovered by his wife, kissing the maid, Groucho said "I was
just whispering in her mouth"
Old August 1st 07, 01:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
john smith[_2_]

Ray Andraka wrote:
I was camped a few planes down from Jay, along the fence across the road
from Carpet World. I had no problem getting a wi-fi connection to the
EAA hot-spot with my Sony Vaio T350P, which has a built in 802.11g. The
problem was once you did connect, it got incredibly slow at times,
especially when the storms were coming in. Access was excellent at
off-times however. I couldn't see the Hilton or super-8 hot spots from
my airplane, but if I moved in toward the perimeter road on the airport,
I could see both. I did not have success connecting to either though.
The Sony battery is good for up to 9 hours depending on drive use.
"John Smith" was kind enough to buy a Honda 1KW generator and bring it
over for recharging laptops, cell phones and Garmins (thanks "John").
The power strip was fully populated most of the time he had the
generator running.

Your welcome Ray.
I sat there with my iBook G4 and could only see the hhonors site but
could not connect. Using iStumble, I could not even detect any others. I
should have brought my Airport Express to use as a repeater.
Old August 1st 07, 01:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
john smith[_2_]

Oops! Should read, "You're welcome Ray."
Old August 1st 07, 02:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Dan Luke[_2_]

"Mike Adams" wrote:

So, I'm curious how this new service worked out. Was it free? How was the
access
from the North 40?

It was free. Access from where we were on the N40, approx. due south of the
Hilton was pretty good. The Hilton's wifi was usable, too.

I wasn't there this year, but can see that this would be very
handy for email and weather briefings.

Extremely.

TAFs, METARs and radar being available to everyone camped around us was much
appreciated.

--
Dan
T-182T at BFM

Old August 1st 07, 02:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike Adams[_1_]

"Dan Luke" wrote in
:

It was free. Access from where we were on the N40, approx. due south
of the Hilton was pretty good. The Hilton's wifi was usable, too.

I wasn't there this year, but can see that this would be very
handy for email and weather briefings.

Extremely.

TAFs, METARs and radar being available to everyone camped around us
was much appreciated.

Sounds pretty good. I had an interesting experience last year which maybe
had some small influence. I was walking down the road in the North 40, on
my way to the registration building, when I was offered a ride by a guy,
and it turns out he was a full time EAA staffer and asked me what I would
think about wi-fi at Oshkosh. He said they were planning for it, and were
trying to evaluate capacity and services and whether to charge for it or
make it available for free. Their big concern with a free service was
that it would be overwhelmed with too many users, and it would be hard to
provide good service. OTOH, a paid service would be easier to control and
maybe easier to provide good service. I recall offering the opinion that
free wi-fi is almost an industry expectation anymore - from hotels to
airports it's everywhere. It's cool to see that they've made some
progress on this.

Mike
Old August 2nd 07, 09:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Travis Marlatte

Interesting. Free doesn't have to mean uncontrolled. The same software that
handles pay-for-use can also be used to throttle free access.

--
Travis
"Mike Adams" wrote in message
.. .