Short list wanted - popular 4-seat single engine land

Old July 21st 07, 04:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Tuno

Default Short list wanted - popular 4-seat single engine land

Since when does "popular" equal "best"?

Since never. But they are related. The "best" may not be resellable or
maintainable if it is not also popular.

Old July 21st 07, 04:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Tuno

As a glider driver I'm most intrigued by the Cirrus SR22 and Diamond
DA40. Glass slippers are cool.

No interest in dirt strips, but it will probably be necessary at some
point!

-tuno

Old July 21st 07, 04:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, Tuno said:
As a glider driver I'm most intrigued by the Cirrus SR22 and Diamond
DA40. Glass slippers are cool.

Don't know about the Cirrus, but the DA-40 has a useful load that sucks
compared to a Piper Archer or Dakota.

Again, you need to define your needs, and find a plane to meet it, rather
than saying "that plane looks cool".

--
Paul Tomblin http://blog.xcski.com/
"But you've got to hand it to IBM, they know how to design hardware. The
Old July 21st 07, 05:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Vaughn Simon

"Dave" wrote in message
. net...
Maule,

Good capable aircraft in both tricycle and tail wheel versions.

...and it can tow a glider.

Vaughn

Old July 21st 07, 07:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Tuno

Have been Mauled in my glider many times

Old July 22nd 07, 01:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck

Don't know about the Cirrus, but the DA-40 has a useful load that sucks
compared to a Piper Archer or Dakota.

EVERYTHING has a crappy useful load compared to a Dakota. Well,
except a Cherokee Six -- same plane with a longer body. (Or a Cessna
206, which does the same thing but with a WAY bigger engine.)

We've got the Pathfinder, Tuno, which is what the Dakota evolved
from. We also have four people in our family, and the Pathfinder is
one of the few planes that can carry an honest four adults, with 150
pounds of luggage AND full fuel.

1460 pounds is a wonderful thing when you're talking useful load.
And 84 gallons means that you don't have to stop for fuel as often.
We've flown ours in the desert Southwest, without difficulties. With
235 horsepower, density altitudes aren't quite as critical.

My suggestion: Go to Oshkosh in the next 7 days. You'll be able to
check out every make and model of GA aircraft that has ever been
made. Talking and reading about them simply can't compare to kicking
the tires and touching the wings.

We leave in 90 minutes....

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old July 24th 07, 05:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Robert M. Gary

On Jul 20, 5:29 pm, "Howard Nelson" wrote:
"Tuno" wrote in message

ups.com...

Transportation for family of four. Mostly VFR but some IFR. Rarely
more than 1000 miles one-way. Southwest USA.

Easy choice

C182 or C182T

God, why? Unless he's also hauling granite why would me want to burn
that much fuel to go slow? Sure, an 18 wheeler can haul everything you
need but not everyone needs to haul that much. As you putt around at
130 knots in the C-182 some guy is going to zip by you on the same
fuel doing 200 knots in a Mooney.

-Robert

Old July 24th 07, 05:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Robert M. Gary

On Jul 22, 5:45 am, Jay Honeck wrote:

We've got the Pathfinder, Tuno, which is what the Dakota evolved
from. We also have four people in our family, and the Pathfinder is
one of the few planes that can carry an honest four adults, with 150
pounds of luggage AND full fuel.

What does "full fuel" mean? In my plane full fuel is about 7 hours of
flight, is that useful?

-Robert

Old July 25th 07, 08:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Thomas Borchert

Jay,

the Pathfinder is
one of the few planes that can carry an honest four adults, with 150
pounds of luggage AND full fuel.

IOW, the tanks are too small.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old July 25th 07, 11:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Matt Whiting

Thomas Borchert wrote:
Jay,

the Pathfinder is
one of the few planes that can carry an honest four adults, with 150
pounds of luggage AND full fuel.

IOW, the tanks are too small.

As is the fuselage.

Matt