GTX330 programming

Old August 5th 07, 08:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Kyprianos Biris[_2_]

Default GTX330 programming

In the Garming GTX330 Transponder how do you disable the FLT ID PWR-UP ENTRY
at start up ?

I have a standard aircraft reg. number and will never need this feature.

Thanks in advance

Old August 5th 07, 10:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
No Spam

On 8/5/07 02:56, "Kyprianos Biris" wrote:

In the Garming GTX330 Transponder how do you disable the FLT ID PWR-UP ENTRY
at start up ?

I have a standard aircraft reg. number and will never need this feature.

Thanks in advance

I don't know what a standard aircraft registration number is, but that's not
surprising - I don't know a lot of things!

Anyway, you can look in Section 5 of the Installation manual and see how to
change whether the flight id is entered automatically or must be entered by
the pilot at power up. I couldn't see a way to disable the whole function.

Here's a link for a previous version of the manual:

http://www2.mstewart.net:8080/Downloads/GTX330_IM.pdf

Good luck,

- Don
Everybody needs a rubber chicken.

Old August 5th 07, 05:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike Adams[_1_]

No Spam wrote in
:

On 8/5/07 02:56, "Kyprianos Biris" wrote:

In the Garming GTX330 Transponder how do you disable the FLT ID
PWR-UP ENTRY at start up ?

I have a standard aircraft reg. number and will never need this
feature.

Thanks in advance

I don't know what a standard aircraft registration number is, but
that's not surprising - I don't know a lot of things!

Anyway, you can look in Section 5 of the Installation manual and see
how to change whether the flight id is entered automatically or must
be entered by the pilot at power up. I couldn't see a way to disable
the whole function.

Here's a link for a previous version of the manual:

http://www2.mstewart.net:8080/Downloads/GTX330_IM.pdf

Good luck,

- Don

Thanks for this reference. Looking in section 5.2.12 on page 5-6 it
appears there's a configuration option to enter the flight ID at startup
or only in configuration mode. The Flight ID (registration number) is
needed for the Mode S, but it looks like it can be just a one-time
configuration entry.

Mike

Mike
Old August 6th 07, 02:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Gig 601XL Builder

Kyprianos Biris wrote:
In the Garming GTX330 Transponder how do you disable the FLT ID PWR-
UP ENTRY at start up ?

I have a standard aircraft reg. number and will never need this
feature.
Thanks in advance

I beleive that is your MODE S code. I'm surprised they didn't enter it when
they installed the 330. You so a really easy way to find out what the number
is don't you?

Old August 6th 07, 09:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Kyprianos Biris[_2_]

No they did enter the Mode S code that was given to us by our CAA.

What it asks for each time is the tail / flight ID code.
Since we do not fly commercial all I need to have there is the aircraft
registration (tail number) and the unit not to ask again for it.

Old August 7th 07, 09:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Thomas Borchert

Kyprianos,

That set-up mode, once you're in there, has some other interesting
options, too.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old August 7th 07, 09:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Thomas Borchert

Gig,

I beleive that is your MODE S code. I'm surprised they didn't enter it when
they installed the 330. You so a really easy way to find out what the number
is don't you?

Nope, very important difference. Your aircraft is assigned a hex code which
should be entered by the installing agency only and shouldn't be changed by the
user. However, the S mode data packet also contains one more data field with
either one of two informations: Either the aircraft registration or the flight
number. Obviously, for us lowly GA pilots, we want the aircraft registration in
there and we don't need to change it. It is entered without any dashes some
countries might have in there (e.g. in Germany all registrations start with
D-), so you enter it just like on a flight plan form.

However, if the GTX330 is installed in an airline aircraft, the crew is
supposed to enter the flight number (e.g. UA078) before each flight. You can
set in the set-up menu whether the GTX330 should ask for a flight number every
time after switching it on or not.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)