Testing your glide. Are people doing this?

Old October 25th 03, 08:11 PM
Teacherjh

A person flying the same C172 (for example) all the time is going
to be much more familiar with where things are and how to react in a given
situation than someone who flies a variety of C172s and has to adjust for
the subtle differences in each airplane.

But would that same person be better equipped to handle a DIFFERENT 172 (for
example one he rents after travelling commercially)?

Jose

Old October 25th 03, 08:31 PM
Peter Duniho

"Teacherjh" wrote in message
But would that same person be better equipped to handle a DIFFERENT 172

(for
example one he rents after travelling commercially)?

I don't see why he would. But I also don't see how that's relevant to this
particular train of thought. CJ's original comment was specifically
regarding owners flying their own airplanes, and was in response to a person
claiming that "most people don't actually know how to fly THEIR airplanes"
(emphasis mine).

Old October 25th 03, 08:54 PM
Teacherjh

But I also don't see how that's relevant [...]
"most people don't actually know how to fly THEIR airplanes"
(emphasis mine).

I didn't take "their" to be that restrictive, and also maintain that flying a
variety of aircraft makes one more able to jump between them. There is an
implication in the quote that "most people don't know how to fly" (to some
standard being presented) and knowing one particular plane is only part of the
picture. One comes to rely on the charactaristics of "their particular plane"
and that may reduce safety outside the envelope.

Jose

Old October 25th 03, 09:03 PM
EDR

In article LNzmb.25594$Fm2.12198@attbi_s04, Jay Honeck
wrote:

It's just a "feel" thing that aircraft owners develop, and renters
can't -- UNLESS they always rent the same plane.

I liked the way you qualified that statement at the very end. I was set
to challenge you in your own airplane to a series of performance
maneuvers. ;-))
I haven't flown a Dakota in 20 years, but I am confident I could
probably match you maneuver for maneuver, despite all my high-wing
experience. ;-))

Time in type -- especially if it's the same aircraft -- is valuable.

Not just time in one type. Time in multiple types provides greater
experience since you have something to compare.

Speed control is the key.
Old October 25th 03, 09:10 PM
Peter Duniho

"Teacherjh" wrote in message
I didn't take "their" to be that restrictive

There can be no question that CJ's comment was with regards to airplane
owners. I simply referenced Shawn's post for context.

and also maintain that flying a
variety of aircraft makes one more able to jump between them.

That's an interesting theory, but not borne out by my own flying, nor those
that I have talked to who fly a variety of aircraft. When I spend time in
other aircraft (mostly C172s and C177s), my performance in my own airplane
as well as those other types suffers.

Likewise, the instructors I've asked about how they handle the variety of
aircraft they fly have told me that a major problem for them is that, while
they are perfectly safe in all of the aircraft they fly, they don't have the
finesse they'd like in any of them, because they're constantly switching
back and forth.

I can't prove that your theory is incorrect, but I doubt you could prove
that it's correct. I do know my own statistically insignificant experiences
argue against the theory.

There is an
implication in the quote that "most people don't know how to fly"

The quote is out of context and misrepresented. If you'd like to address a
different issue, that's fine, but your comments so far haven't been relevant
to CJ's original reply.

[...] One comes to rely on the charactaristics of "their particular

plane"
and that may reduce safety outside the envelope.

There's no doubt that a pilot who flies a plane with which they are
unfamiliar may well have inappropriate transfer from the plane with which
they ARE familiar. But that's not what is being discussed. The question
here is whether pilots know how to fly the plane with which they are
familiar.

Pete

Old October 26th 03, 12:06 AM
Greg Esres

Because there's "overhead".

Ah, gotcha.

Old October 26th 03, 01:32 AM
Judah

"Peter Duniho" wrote in
:

"Teacherjh" wrote in message
I didn't take "their" to be that restrictive

There can be no question that CJ's comment was with regards to airplane
owners. I simply referenced Shawn's post for context.

OK, I guess I am in one of those moods...

CJ's comments, in context, and in their entirety, read as follows:

"ShawnD2112" wrote in message
| My experience is that most people don't actually know how to fly their
| airplanes.

Really? How do you know that?

As a flight instructor who does a LOT of BFRs I find that the vast

majority
of pilots perform emergency procedures, stalls, and other maneuvers quite

well.

There is absolutely nothing in CJs comments that in any way, shape, or form
even IMPLIES owners. Even renters get BFRs.

The post which CJ quoted began as follows:

My experience is that most people don't actually know how to fly their
airplanes. They know how to get them off the ground, from Point A to

Point
B, but they never do touch and gos, they never go out and do stalls, and
they really don't know how their airplane performs in anything other than
the cruise. Personally, I enjoy simply controlling the machine.

It would seem to me that while it is possible that the point Shawn was
making was intended specifically for owners, it is equally plausible that
he intended to say, "My experience is that most people don't actually know
how to fly the airplanes they pilot."

Case in point, an earlier post in the thread by Montblack read as follows:

I wonder how many people have actually glided their planes (rentals or
otherwise) and so know what their real world glide range numbers will be -
from say, 6,000 ft AGL down to 3,000 ft AGL? Into the wind vs tailwind,

etc?

Here renters are specifically included (in an assumptive tonation) in the
term "their planes".

I suspect it is possible that Shawn did not expect either of us to analyze
his post as if it was a legal document, and simply used conversational
language to express his opinion. And in fact, the focus of his post seems
to be on the fact that he practices stalls and touch and goes and other
manuevers and enjoys learning the limits of the plane he flies (which,
based on other language later in the post, he seems to own).

OK. I am finished.

Old October 26th 03, 01:33 AM
C J Campbell

"David Megginson" wrote in message
| "C J Campbell" writes:
|
| Really? How do you know that?
|
| As a flight instructor who does a LOT of BFRs I find that the vast
majority
| of pilots perform emergency procedures, stalls, and other maneuvers
quite
| well.
|
| That's good to know. On balance, do you see any difference between
| owners and renters? Does the owner's extra familiarity with the plane
| make any practical difference?

It seems that most owners know a lot more about their airplane and its
systems. A couple of anecdotes:

A pilot who flies a Hyperbipe came to me for a BFR. I asked him to do a
stall and he said, "Uh, and then what?" For him a stall is always a
preliminary maneuver to set up for something more interesting. He actually
has logged more time inverted than right side up.

Beechcraft pilots who fly regularly fly very well. I would not trust a pilot
who does not fly much to do anything approaching a stall in a BE-35.

Old October 26th 03, 01:35 AM
C J Campbell

"Peter Duniho" wrote in message
| "Teacherjh" wrote in message
| But would that same person be better equipped to handle a DIFFERENT 172
| (for
| example one he rents after travelling commercially)?
|
| I don't see why he would. But I also don't see how that's relevant to
this
| particular train of thought. CJ's original comment was specifically
| regarding owners flying their own airplanes,

Actually, I did not ask the question about owners. That was a reply to a
post that I made that did not talk about owners specifically.