Be ready for the worst!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old March 28th 04, 06:00 PM
Ed Byars

Default Be ready for the worst!

Be ready for the worst:

I totaled my ASW-28 last summer. The next day while I was "out of it" in the
hospital, the Feds (FAA-FISDO not the NTSB {because I didn't get killed I
guess}) inspected the damaged glider and removed all paperwork and my
smashed PDA. A few weeks later they returned all by mail with a formal form
letter thanking me and no other comment. This is the absolute best case
scenario I could have hoped for. Of course it was not admitted but I am
convinced that this was a compliment for my paperwork thoroughness. I had
luckily gone through my annual checklist at the beginning of the season.

This is a warning to remind you to check your paperwork. Here is what I had
in my glider, all required.

1. Glider Log book (up to date)

In a pouch in the back of the log book was:

2. Pink Airworthiness Certificate (Experimental-Racing & Exhibition)

3. Six page 34 item provisions for above

4. Program letter for current year (copy of one that went to FISDO)

5. Exemption letter (for absence of ID on exterior tail),(Expired)

6. Extension letter for the expired exemption letter.

7. Weight and Balance

I did not have the Aircraft Flight Manual aboard. I knew it was required but
took a chance and left this bulky item at home.

It's not exactly "paperwork" but don't forget the placards in the cockpit
area. Feds love to check them (it's a no-brainer for them).

Check your paperwork. Don't give them an excuse to nail you.

The above is bad enough but what about insurance?

The day after my boo-boo my friends collected the bones in the trailer, took
them to a safe place and called my insurance Co (AIG).

In a couple of days an adjuster came to inspect and take photos and with a
request to me for copies of:

1. FAA license

2. Current Medical (Yeah I know it's not required but it was requested)

3. Current BFR

4. Last five pages of my personal flight log book, especially the page
showing where an instructor signed me off for the type glider in question.

5. Front page and last two pages of Glider log book showing current
annual (conditional in this case).

When able I sent all this stuff. Thank goodness everything was up to date.

Then they could not have been nicer. They arranged to pick up the bones (no
questions about it being totaled) and sent me a full check immediately. I
had it insured for what it cost me, which of course was now underinsured I
reminded them that the trailer was not insured by them and was not included.
No problem.

Same warning. Don't give the insurance company a chance to mail you.

Ed Byars