Winch Launch - Fatal

Old December 6th 16, 05:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

Default Winch Launch - Fatal

On Tue, 06 Dec 2016 08:27:58 -0800, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:

What happened in this accident to cause the N3 to "flip over" in the
early stage of launch?

Read this:

https://assets.publishing.service.go...74a1317000923/
Schempp-Hirth_Nimbus-3_glider_G-EENN_06-13.pdf

Its the full AAIB report on this accident and contains full and useful
discussions about wing-drops during winch launches and of the importance
of cockpit layout with regard to interference between flying controls and
the hook release knob: both are relevant in this case.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old December 6th 16, 07:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathon May[_2_]

At 17:13 06 December 2016, Dan Marotta wrote:
I saw that happen to a Nimbus II on aero tow back in the 90s. The pilot
induced a pitch oscillation (PIO) right at lift off, the glider pitched
up to near vertical, and rotated to the right dragging the wingtip and
cartwheeling. That time the pilot survived, though the fire department
trashed the glider cutting him out of the wreck.

On 12/6/2016 9:47 AM, Greg O'Hagan wrote:
At 16:27 06 December 2016, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
What happened in this accident to cause the N3 to "flip over" in the

early
stage of launch?

On Tuesday, December 6, 2016 at 7:15:05 AM UTC-8, Jock Proudfoot

wrote:
At 14:06 06 December 2016, Jock Proudfoot wrote:

Footage of the accident, in which the victim was dragged upside
down along the runway, was recorded on the centre's CCTV and is
now being studied by accident investigators.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/1...pilot_killed_i
n_freak_accident_during_take_off/

See below.

https://assets.publishing.service.go...5274a131700092

3/Schempp-Hirth_Nimbus-3_glider_G-EENN_06-13.pdf

--
Dan, 5J

It can be hard to release in a schemmp if the stick is hard over to the
left.
So tie a short loop of parachute cord or similar round the release and keep
it
in your left hand .

Old December 6th 16, 08:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Don Johnstone[_4_]

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/1...r_pilot_killed

https://assets.publishing.service.go...5422fd21e5274a

131700092
3/Schempp-Hirth_Nimbus-3_glider_G-EENN_06-13.pdf

--
Dan, 5J

It can be hard to release in a schemmp if the stick is hard over to

th
left.
So tie a short loop of parachute cord or similar round the release

and kee
it
in your left hand .

I am 6 feet tall and if I have the straps done up tight I find it
difficult to reach the release so I do what Jonathan has suggested
and have a loop of paracord secured to the release knob and round
my wrist. Having experienced difficulty in releasing the cable under
tension, using the knob or the cord I am not completely sure that
would work and I am not keen to find out.
I used the same system in my ASW17 for a different reason.

Old December 7th 16, 08:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathon May[_2_]

wrote:
[...]

Update on schemmp
The brochure for the new V3 is out and the release as moved to the panel.

Old December 8th 16, 01:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ND

wrote:
[...]

hmmmm in my 20, its located exactly where they normally are on a schempp glider. i realize they were built in the 80's but cmon man, whats with the SH bashing? it's one thing to prefer a certain manufacturer, but you have to acknowledge that they're all good gliders.
Old December 8th 16, 06:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

I never bashed any manufacturer, I just stated a fact. In the mid 1990's my ASW-24 had the release handle high in LHS of cockpit wall, same place modern Schleichers' have them, and it doesn't take panel space and does not interfere with full motion of stick. My V2C and N4 had the release handle in a poorly designed and thought out location. Not bashing anyone just stating facts.

Old December 8th 16, 09:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, December 8, 2016 at 1:22:32 PM UTC-5, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
[...]

The '24, and later ships, got the release raised after Waibel had a ground loop where he couldn't get to the release quickly enough.
That led to the loop of parachute cord connected to the release and laid across the thigh during launch that you see in a lot of 19's and 20's.
Next ship he designed- better location.
I saved my bacon a couple times.
UH
Old December 9th 16, 02:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scott Williams

There are few things in this world which arise out of nothing, The release location in schempp hirth gliders just inside the pilots left knee/thigh is at least as old as the austrias and the shk s. the later cirri and ventus , etc, were continuing a design feature which had worked in the past.
The potential interference may never have been reported due to the rare and lethal nature of the adverse event.
Scott.
Old December 9th 16, 08:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Pete Smith[_5_]

No, the position changes subtly.

On my cirrus and N2 it is at the lower left of the stick box quadrant, on
the
N3 in question and later gliders it is in the upper left.

Please read the accident report and its conclusions.

=