Vario Installation in PW-5

Old May 10th 05, 12:17 AM
BlueGliderGuy

Default Vario Installation in PW-5

What are the challenges to installing a TE probe in the vertical stab
of a PW-5.
Can it be done?
How can the tubing be run forward.
Can multiple vario's be plumbed from this probe.
Presently have the factory diaphragm compensation.
Presently have two: a Filsner audio and a PZL netto.
Want to install a Winter log as mechanical backup.

Old May 10th 05, 12:36 AM
Marc Ramsey

BlueGliderGuy wrote:
What are the challenges to installing a TE probe in the vertical stab
of a PW-5.
Can it be done?
How can the tubing be run forward.

You'll have to cut holes in the fin and possibly elsewhere to install a
mount and route the tubing.

Can multiple vario's be plumbed from this probe.

Yes.

Presently have the factory diaphragm compensation.
Presently have two: a Filsner audio and a PZL netto.
Want to install a Winter log as mechanical backup.

Life will be a lot easier for you if you make a Nicks TE probe, and
mount it on the fuselage above the wing. See this article:

http://www.ssa.org/Johnson/89-1998-04.pdf

Marc
Old May 10th 05, 03:59 AM
F.L. Whiteley

Marc Ramsey wrote:

BlueGliderGuy wrote:
What are the challenges to installing a TE probe in the vertical stab
of a PW-5.
Can it be done?
How can the tubing be run forward.

You'll have to cut holes in the fin and possibly elsewhere to install a
mount and route the tubing.

Can multiple vario's be plumbed from this probe.

Yes.

Presently have the factory diaphragm compensation.
Presently have two: a Filsner audio and a PZL netto.
Want to install a Winter log as mechanical backup.

Life will be a lot easier for you if you make a Nicks TE probe, and
mount it on the fuselage above the wing. See this article:

http://www.ssa.org/Johnson/89-1998-04.pdf

Marc

I'll second this. Dick showed some of this at the SSA convention. Almost
trivial installation. Tail probes take 8-10 hours of shop time, done
right.

Frank
Old May 10th 05, 05:48 AM

The Poles built the PW5 without a TE probe for a reason.

Old May 10th 05, 01:15 PM
BlueGliderGuy

fadoo
And what might that reason be other than cost?
I'm familiar with the Johnson probe. I'll check it out. Thanks all.

Old May 12th 05, 12:28 PM
Go

I had a Smyk version of the PW5 with a 'Johnson' version TE probe and
felt it ddn't work well. I was using a Borgelt B50 and Mike Borgelt
told me it would not work correctly due to it's location on the
fuselage.

But there are many people who use this probe and say it works just
fine. You should go to the World Class Soaring Assoc.
http://www.wcsa.org/ and post this inquiry on our forum. You will
receive answers from people who have direct experience with your
glider. Or you might contact Charles Yeates the dealer for the Smyk.

BTW: The B-1 version of the PW5 is plumbed for a tail-mounted TE probe
which works very, very well.

I am not aware of anyone plumbing to the tail in a Smyke for this
purpose but the people on the forum would know for sure.

Good luck

Common speaker for vario and radio toad Soaring 15 April 18th 05 04:50 AM
Skycraft Landing Light Installation Pix Jay Honeck Owning 5 February 6th 05 03:05 PM
Vario Comparison Update Paul Remde Soaring 4 January 9th 05 09:51 PM
Buying an L-2 Robert M. Gary Piloting 13 May 25th 04 04:03 AM
Vario time constants Bill Daniels Soaring 3 January 20th 04 04:18 PM