Garmin G1000 gets airways

Old August 1st 07, 11:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting
Dan Luke[_2_]

Default Garmin G1000 gets airways

The recently issued revision to the G1000 software includes an upgrade to
permit loading airways into flightpans.

The upgrade is free to 2004, 2005 and 2006 Cessna G1000 owners, including a
labor allowance for installation. Mine was installed today; I'll report on
how it works this weekend.

--
Dan
T-182T at BFM

Old August 2nd 07, 02:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting

Dan Luke wrote:
The recently issued revision to the G1000 software includes an upgrade to
permit loading airways into flightpans.

The upgrade is free to 2004, 2005 and 2006 Cessna G1000 owners, including a
labor allowance for installation. Mine was installed today; I'll report on
how it works this weekend.

You can thank the Citation Mustang program for that.

It should work fine.
Old August 2nd 07, 07:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Clark

On Wed, 01 Aug 2007 18:23:56 -0700, B wrote:

Dan Luke wrote:
The recently issued revision to the G1000 software includes an upgrade to
permit loading airways into flightpans.

The upgrade is free to 2004, 2005 and 2006 Cessna G1000 owners, including a
labor allowance for installation. Mine was installed today; I'll report on
how it works this weekend.

You can thank the Citation Mustang program for that.

Yep. Lots of the new features in this software came from the Mustang.
One cool one is the moving map in the reversionary mode. I'm also
told that the older (4/5/6) aircraft will now couple to the KAP140 fly
PT and holds-in-lieu just like the 07s.

Airways work fine. Just like the CNX80 etc, select airway, select
exit waypoint, it fills in everything inbetween.

Now if only they'd get a clue and put them into the 430/530 software
the wold would be a much happier place for those where airways are the
norm rather than the exception......
Old August 2nd 07, 07:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting

Dan Luke wrote:

The recently issued revision to the G1000 software includes an upgrade to
permit loading airways into flightpans.

The upgrade is free to 2004, 2005 and 2006 Cessna G1000 owners, including a
labor allowance for installation. Mine was installed today; I'll report on
how it works this weekend.

You can thank the Citation Mustang program for that.

Yep. Lots of the new features in this software came from the Mustang.
One cool one is the moving map in the reversionary mode. I'm also
told that the older (4/5/6) aircraft will now couple to the KAP140 fly
PT and holds-in-lieu just like the 07s.

Does the KAP 140 have roll steering? It is my understanding that roll
steering is required to fly the Garmin "W" HILs.
Old August 2nd 07, 08:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Clark

Dan Luke wrote:

The recently issued revision to the G1000 software includes an upgrade to
permit loading airways into flightpans.

The upgrade is free to 2004, 2005 and 2006 Cessna G1000 owners, including a
labor allowance for installation. Mine was installed today; I'll report on
how it works this weekend.

You can thank the Citation Mustang program for that.

Yep. Lots of the new features in this software came from the Mustang.
One cool one is the moving map in the reversionary mode. I'm also
told that the older (4/5/6) aircraft will now couple to the KAP140 fly
PT and holds-in-lieu just like the 07s.

Does the KAP 140 have roll steering? It is my understanding that roll
steering is required to fly the Garmin "W" HILs.

Yep. The KAP140 has had roll steering since at least 2003. Course,
the older KAP140s might have had it too, but 2003 is the earliest
sample offhand of Cessna installing the KLN94+GPSS+KAP140 into their
single engine line. Course, earlier than that KAP140s might have DC
roll steering inputs, but the -0102 part number KLN94s started
appearing in Cessna factory produced aircraft in 2003.

All G1000 Cessna aircraft have GPSS capable KAP140s.

Old August 2nd 07, 08:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Clark

On Thu, 02 Aug 2007 15:03:23 -0400, Peter Clark
wrote:

All G1000 Cessna aircraft have GPSS capable KAP140s.

And before someone starts getting pedantic, yea, if it's a KAP140 in a
Cessna G1000 it's GPSS capable. Otherwise it's a GFC700.
Old August 3rd 07, 05:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting
C J Campbell[_1_]

On 2007-08-01 15:49:31 -0700, "Dan Luke" said:

The recently issued revision to the G1000 software includes an upgrade to
permit loading airways into flightpans.

The upgrade is free to 2004, 2005 and 2006 Cessna G1000 owners, including a
labor allowance for installation. Mine was installed today; I'll report on
how it works this weekend.

Great! We have not seen them yet.
--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Old August 3rd 07, 01:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Clark

On Thu, 2 Aug 2007 21:24:28 -0700, C J Campbell

On 2007-08-01 15:49:31 -0700, "Dan Luke" said:

The recently issued revision to the G1000 software includes an upgrade to
permit loading airways into flightpans.

The upgrade is free to 2004, 2005 and 2006 Cessna G1000 owners, including a
labor allowance for installation. Mine was installed today; I'll report on
how it works this weekend.

Great! We have not seen them yet.

They were mailed to owners of record on 7/23. You should have seen
them by now. I'd ask your service center to call Cessna and find out
where yours is.
Old August 3rd 07, 03:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting
Dan Luke[_2_]

"Dan Luke" wrote:

Mine was installed today; I'll report on how it works this weekend.

OK, I couldn't wait, so on the way to work this morning I went and fired up
the G1000 on the ramp.

The airways flightplan feature worked fine once I figured out that there was
an error in the new Garmin Cockpit Reference Guide. It mentions a "Load
Airways" softkey that never appears, and fails to mention that you have to
press the MENU hardkey at some point to get the "Load Airways" option. Don't
they user-test these manuals?

Short story: you put in the entry fix, airway id and exit point (from a menu)
and you're done. The airway id.exit fix is then in your flight plan. The
airway is in white, with its number, on the course line on the moving map.

--
Dan
T-182T at BFM

Old August 3rd 07, 03:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Clark

On Fri, 3 Aug 2007 09:14:26 -0500, "Dan Luke"
wrote:

"Dan Luke" wrote:

Mine was installed today; I'll report on how it works this weekend.

OK, I couldn't wait, so on the way to work this morning I went and fired up
the G1000 on the ramp.

The airways flightplan feature worked fine once I figured out that there was
an error in the new Garmin Cockpit Reference Guide. It mentions a "Load
Airways" softkey that never appears, and fails to mention that you have to
press the MENU hardkey at some point to get the "Load Airways" option. Don't
they user-test these manuals?

Short story: you put in the entry fix, airway id and exit point (from a menu)
and you're done. The airway id.exit fix is then in your flight plan. The
airway is in white, with its number, on the course line on the moving map.

When in FPL (on the MFD, this does not work from PFD), if the waypoint
before the one you're about to insert is part of an airway, when you
large knob down to the next blank space, as soon as you turn the small
knob to enter the next waypoint the lower right softkey will turn into
"LD AWY". I've never had to hit menu or anything else when inserting
an airway from the FPL button on the MFD. It's all in where your
cursor is when you turn the small knob.

Garmin G1000 ASA/King? Mitty Instrument Flight Rules 2 November 3rd 06 03:47 PM
Victor Airways in Cessna G1000 T182T [email protected] Instrument Flight Rules 17 May 2nd 06 02:56 AM
Mooney goes with Garmin G1000 Mike Rapoport Owning 4 February 15th 04 01:03 AM
Garmin G1000 Corky Scott Home Built 4 January 9th 04 06:57 AM
Garmin G1000 Foster Owning 2 July 20th 03 06:45 PM