Sport Pilot inconsistency

Old September 8th 04, 01:59 PM
Captain Wubba

Cub Driver wrote in message . ..
On 4 Sep 2004 20:58:05 -0700, (Captain Wubba)
wrote:

The flying that was done did not require a plane weighing more than
1320 lbs. It was VFR day flight with none or one passenger.

It's still a very different kind of flying, if you are in a heavy
plane with a powerful engine, an adjustable-pitch propeller, and
retractable landing gear.

Absolutely. But I know plenty of PP-ASELs who ahev (literally) never
flown anything bigger than a Cessna 172. We had club members who
*owned* their share of a Cessna 206, but chose not to fly it. Plenty
of highly skilled PP-ASELs only want to fly what they want to fly. And
these people are wonderful candidates for operating sport planes.

This is precisely the notion that the Recreational Pilot cert was
supposed to address, years ago. I can't fly any of those things (250
hp, constant speed prop, retractable gear), or at night, or (until
Monday) in ATC airspace. My opportunities for getting into mischief
are much less than they would be if I had a Private Pilot cert.

With Sport Pilot rules, one has even fewer opportunities, thus more
latitude in who can fly.

Actually, the Sport Pilot has more privileges in many ways...unlimited
cross country flight (with one-time logbook endorsement), able to talk
to ATC (with endorsement). Still plenty of mischief to be had. And the
20 hours FAA minimum sems awfully low to me, as a CFI.

At the same time, the FAA has brought scads of ultra-lighters into the
certification system, presumably making them a bit safer, and making
them susceptible to disciplinary action.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email:
(put Cubdriver in subject line)

The Warbird's Forum
www.warbirdforum.com
Expedition sailboat charters www.expeditionsail.com

Cheers,

Cap
Old September 8th 04, 03:53 PM
C J Campbell

"frustrated flier" wrote in message
om...
I am unclear on two Sport Pilot issues: First, a new pilot may qualify
for a Sport Pilot ticket even though he or she takes a medication that
would preclude a 3rd class medical.

Actually, I don't think that is the case. The only thing that the Sport
Pilot certificate requires is that you certify yourself as being fit to fly.
I think the FAA intends to enforce the rule as saying that if you would not
qualify for a 3rd class medical then you are unfit to fly anyway. This
greatly reduces the utility of the Sport Pilot rules overall -- to the point
where it appears a huge amount of time and money were wasted on a fruitless
rules writing exercise.

Old September 8th 04, 04:49 PM
C J Campbell

"Todd Pattist" wrote in message
"C J Campbell"
wrote:

I think the FAA intends to enforce the rule as saying that if you would

not
qualify for a 3rd class medical then you are unfit to fly anyway.

This is absolutely NOT true. The FAA has made it very clear
that being able to qualify for a 3rd class medical for your
2 year period and being safe to fly on a specific flight as
a Sport Pilot/glider pilot/balloon pilot are NOT the same
thing. This position is long standing and unchanged. It
appears in FAQ's, regulatory preambles, NPRM's,
administrative decisions and Chief Counsel interpretations.

Yeah, I know it has. It just seems to me that someone in the FAA is trying
to reverse all that.

Old September 9th 04, 04:16 AM
Morgans

"Captain Wubba" wrote

Actually, the Sport Pilot has more privileges in many ways...unlimited
cross country flight (with one-time logbook endorsement), able to talk
to ATC (with endorsement). Still plenty of mischief to be had. And the
20 hours FAA minimum sems awfully low to me, as a CFI.

The CFI still is the one to keep teaching until the student is ready to go
to the examiner. Just like now, few are ready after only 40 hours.
--
Jim in NC

---

Old September 9th 04, 04:42 AM
Dave Stadt

wrote:

I think the FAA intends to enforce the rule as saying that if you would

not
qualify for a 3rd class medical then you are unfit to fly anyway.

This is absolutely NOT true. The FAA has made it very clear
that being able to qualify for a 3rd class medical for your
2 year period and being safe to fly on a specific flight as
a Sport Pilot/glider pilot/balloon pilot are NOT the same
thing. This position is long standing and unchanged. It
appears in FAQ's, regulatory preambles, NPRM's,
administrative decisions and Chief Counsel interpretations.

Todd Pattist
(Remove DONTSPAMME from address to email reply.)
___
Make a commitment to learn something from every flight.
Share what you learn.

Problem is the FAA can and will interpret as they see fit with no
consistency. What is true today probably will not be true tomorrow.

Old September 9th 04, 04:42 AM
Dave Stadt

"Morgans" wrote in message

"Captain Wubba" wrote

Actually, the Sport Pilot has more privileges in many ways...unlimited
cross country flight (with one-time logbook endorsement), able to talk
to ATC (with endorsement). Still plenty of mischief to be had. And the
20 hours FAA minimum sems awfully low to me, as a CFI.

The CFI still is the one to keep teaching until the student is ready to go
to the examiner. Just like now, few are ready after only 40 hours.
--
Jim in NC

Plus the insurance companies can force higher standards.

Old September 9th 04, 06:31 AM
Peter Duniho

"Dave Stadt" wrote in message
om...
Plus the insurance companies can force higher standards.

Only for those pilots who choose to carry insurance. Sport planes will be
significantly less expensive than the current crop of production
Normal/Utility category airplanes, and thus there will likely be a higher
proportion of pilot/owners in the sport pilot group, none of whom will be
required to carry insurance (though, of course, most will).

Unfortunately, if it's anything like the automotive world, the worst pilots
will also be the ones who choose not to carry insurance.

Pete

Old September 10th 04, 04:53 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Cub Driver wrote:

Planes seem
to gain weight over the years, just like people.

It doesn't matter if they do. If the aircraft has been certified with a max gross
weight of 1,320 lbs or less, it's legal. If you have a PA-11 that has "gained weight"
to the point that it weighs more than its max gross takeoff weight, it really
shouldn't be flying in any category. But still, it's the certified weight that
counts, not the actual weight.

George Patterson
If you want to know God's opinion of money, just look at the people
he gives it to.

Sport Pilot Final Gilan Home Built 34 August 13th 04 03:20 PM
Sport Pilot cuts off special issuance at the knees Juan~--~Jimenez Home Built 40 August 10th 04 01:19 PM
Diamond DA-40 with G-1000 pirep C J Campbell Piloting 114 July 22nd 04 05:40 PM
sport pilot humor Occom Home Built 0 April 9th 04 04:22 PM