Does this look familiar?

Old September 9th 04, 05:23 PM
Dan Luke

"jawilljr" wrote:

Anybody who flies R/C models should join the AMA (Academy of Model
Aeronautics). They have $2.5 million liability coverage. It is only

about
$58 a year... well worth it.

That aircraft was over the weight limit for AMA coverage.

I do not know if there is insurance on the model itself.

Not available from AMA.
--
Dan
C-172RG at BFM

Old September 9th 04, 05:27 PM
Dan Luke

I flew RC for 15 years and that's the first RC crash I've ever seen - or
even heard of - that resulted in a fire.

Old September 10th 04, 01:07 AM
Maule Driver

I flew them for a long time too. I've seen the results of a fire after a
crash but I'll bet the fire itself was so small it was practically
invisible.

The crash looked like the classic and much misunderstood "downwind turn".
I'd guess the pilot pulled the turn tight enough to look like a normal turn
on a light wind day to a ground based pilot. With the higher wind, pulling
hard enough to get the same look from a ground reference stalled it. Damn
shame.

Sort of analagous to a full scale pilot in the cockpit being tricked by
ground movement in a low altitude turn in high winds -- but there are so
many other cues when in the cockpit

Old September 10th 04, 01:57 AM
Dan Luke

"Maule Driver" wrote:
The crash looked like the classic and much misunderstood "downwind
turn".
I'd guess the pilot pulled the turn tight enough to look like a normal
turn
on a light wind day to a ground based pilot. With the higher wind,
pulling
hard enough to get the same look from a ground reference stalled it.
Damn
shame.

That's what it looked like to me, too.
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old September 10th 04, 05:55 AM
Dean Wilkinson

I have seen an even more impressive RC crash video than the B52...

It was a pulse-jet powered model built by someone in the Boeing RC
club. They video taped several flights of the thing, and it screamed
around the sky at one speed with no throttle... 150mph?

In any case, on the third flight in the video, it took off and went
vertical, lost its empenage, and dove straight back down into the
asphalt. The resulting explosion sent an orange fireball into the air
that turned into a black mushroom cloud (it ran on gasoline). It was
too cool for words.

Dean