Wood Laminations and Springback

Old January 24th 08, 02:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting, rec.aviation.homebuilt
Bertie the Bunyip

Default Wood Laminations and Springback

On 24 Jan, 00:29, "Kyle Boatright" wrote:
I'm working on the center section for a Hatz. *The trailing edge of the
center section is a recurved lamination that provides better access to the
front cockpit.

I've steamed and clamped the strips into a form, and they have taken on some
of the curve, but when I unclamp 'em after they dry, I get significant
springback. *The question is whether I need to allow for this in the
finished lamination, or whether the springback will go away when I glue up
the assembly?

FYI, the lamination starts as four 3" x 1/4" strips.

Thanks in advance,

Just did my first laminations a few months ago. They didn't spring at
all once they were glued up.

Bertie
Old January 24th 08, 04:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

"Bertie the Bunyip" wrote

Just did my first laminations a few months ago. They didn't spring at
all once they were glued up.

Just curious, to see how your experience stacks up with laminations I have
done.

What was the minimum radius for your laminations, approximately?
--
Jim in NC

Old January 24th 08, 01:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Bertie the Bunyip[_22_]

"Morgans" wrote in
:

"Bertie the Bunyip" wrote

Just did my first laminations a few months ago. They didn't spring at
all once they were glued up.

Just curious, to see how your experience stacks up with laminations I
have
done.

What was the minimum radius for your laminations, approximately?

hmm, good question. I haven't done the center section yet, which is laid up
according to a couple of arcs. Only the tips and they kind of spiral out. I
would guess a bit under a foot radius. I steamed them first, of course. I
just used some PVC drainpipe, made a couple of plywood plugs for th eends
and plugged a domestic steam cleaner into it for 20 minutes and they were
like spaghetti. I used Areodux for the glue and they were solid as rocks
when I took 'em out.
Since that was my first stab at laminating, I tried it with some scrap pine
I ripped up first.

Bertie