Fees at Dulles (KIAD)?

Old December 29th 03, 09:18 PM
Jack McAdams

Default Fees at Dulles (KIAD)?

I am going to take an instrument training seminar near Dulles in
January and am trying to decide if I should fly down (1.3 hrs) or
drive (3.5 hrs).

Flying sounds a lot more logical but I am wondering about the fees
charged by either of the big-time FBOs there. I think it is Signature
and Piedmont/Hawthorne. Folks driving Gulfstreams and Beechjets
probably don't think about those kinds of things and they probably
make up most of the customer base. I'm flailing along in a Beech 23
and really cannot afford to have the charges add up to the value of my
airframe!

Has anybody done an overnight at KIAD recently? What kind of chrages
(and reception) did you get?

Thanks,

Jack
Sundowner - N6363U
Old December 29th 03, 11:07 PM
Ron Natalie

"Jack McAdams" wrote in message m...
I am going to take an instrument training seminar near Dulles in
January and am trying to decide if I should fly down (1.3 hrs) or
drive (3.5 hrs).

Flying sounds a lot more logical but I am wondering about the fees
charged by either of the big-time FBOs there. I think it is Signature
and Piedmont/Hawthorne.

The landing fee and parking fees are small. Less than $10 each. The
gouge fee is rather steep if you don't by fuel. Hawthorne used to be
the better FBO, but when Piedmont ousted the local management, it
went into the toilet. It took me months to get the billing straightened out
the last few months we were based there.

Old December 29th 03, 11:21 PM
Peter MacPherson

Jack,
I called Signature at IAD a couple of weeks ago and there is an
$8 landing fee, a $24 parking fee for 24 hours and a $20 handling fee.
The handling fee is waived if you buy 7 gals or more of gas.
I also fly a Sundowner and that's what these fees were based on.
They don't seem to go by light single, twin, etc... They ask you your
make/model.

Old December 30th 03, 01:18 AM
Ron Natalie

"aaronw" wrote in message ...

Landing fee was $10.96, and ramp/parking was $20.00.

You were overcharged on the landing fee. The rest of the gouge
is at the FBO's discretion.

Old December 30th 03, 02:12 AM
Michelle P

Jack,
Consider Leesburg, KJYO. Not much further and a lot cheaper. Still
Piedmont but less issues with the Turbine set.

Michelle

--

Michelle P ATP-ASEL, CP-AMEL, and AMT-A&P

"Elisabeth" a Maule M-7-235B (no two are alike)

Volunteer Pilot, Angel Flight Mid-Atlantic

Volunteer Builder, Habitat for Humanity

Old December 30th 03, 05:57 PM
Al

I love flying into large airports, so this might not be everyone's
experience, but I found Dulles as accommodating and friendly (in terms of
controllers/FBO) as any other large airport. I went to Piedmont each time,
and they are very friendly. I think they charged $10 or so, and I didn't
buy gas. Maybe the waived the ramp fee for me, I don't know. But I try to
be nice to the FBO people and they usually return it.

Jets (but never the airlines) are sometimes a little condescending to us
little guys but why would I care about small minds?

"Jack McAdams" wrote in message
m...
I am going to take an instrument training seminar near Dulles in
January and am trying to decide if I should fly down (1.3 hrs) or
drive (3.5 hrs).

Flying sounds a lot more logical but I am wondering about the fees
charged by either of the big-time FBOs there. I think it is Signature

IFR to & from CLT - Delays and Fees to Expect David Instrument Flight Rules 6 August 21st 04 04:57 AM
Streisand ordered to pay defendant's legal fees in her frivolous suit Larry Dighera Piloting 11 December 16th 03 07:29 PM
Fees at KFTW Mike Noel Piloting 1 November 23rd 03 11:18 PM
Fon du lac fees pittss1c Home Built 1 August 22nd 03 05:05 PM
Angel Flight pilots: Ever have an FBO refuse to wave landing fees? Peter R. Piloting 11 August 2nd 03 01:20 AM