Why don't voice radio communications use FM?

Old September 12th 06, 11:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Default Why don't voice radio communications use FM?

Thomas Borchert writes:

Yes. So?

So the compass cannot always be trusted.

Old September 12th 06, 11:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

"Grumman-581" writes:

I suspect that you need to increase your sim flying time and decrease your
USENET posting time...

I already spend much more time simming than posting, but sometimes I
have questions.

Old September 12th 06, 12:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Stefan

Thomas Borchert schrieb:

Because of the way a compass is mounted, it will briefly tend to
continue moving after a turn.

Yes. So?

Um... no! The compass does not "briefly tend to continue moving after a
turn" but it has a well defined turn error, which should more accurately
be called bank error. If you understand this error, you can tell your
heading at each moment during the whole turn.

Stefan
Old September 12th 06, 12:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

Mxsmanic,

So the compass cannot always be trusted.

Yes, it can. Compass turning error is well-defined - any pilot
understands it and takes it into account.

Again and again: Why can't you acknowlegde that there are things you
don't know anything about? Just shut your mouth and learn instead of
coming back with smart*ss comments over and over again.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old September 12th 06, 01:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter R.

Thomas Borchert wrote:

Listen. Many people here have tried to tell you they are not "the idle
rich". Quit spouting utter BS. What are you trying to achieve?

Thomas, it is obvious from this and the "small planes are toys" comment of
his that he is just trying to get a rise out of many. I think this is a
good time for the killfile and "ignore thread" features of your newsreader.

Perhaps, then, Mr M. can ponder the metaphysical thought, "What is the
sound of one troll posting?"

--
Peter
Old September 12th 06, 01:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily[_1_]

Thomas Borchert wrote:
Mxsmanic,

Because of the way a compass is mounted, it will briefly tend to
continue moving after a turn.

Yes. So?

Did he really just point this out like no instrment pilot knows this?
Old September 12th 06, 03:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

Stefan,

Because of the way a compass is mounted, it will briefly tend to
continue moving after a turn.

Yes. So?

Um... no! The compass does not "briefly tend to continue moving after a
turn" but it has a well defined turn error,

Please! Not you, too! Your "well defined turn error" does indeed lead to
the fact that the compass "willbriefly tend to continue moving after a
turn." Which is why I said yes to affirm that statement.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old September 12th 06, 03:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

Emily,

Did he really just point this out like no instrment pilot knows this?

Still here? ;-)

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old September 12th 06, 04:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
RK Henry

On Tue, 12 Sep 2006 00:39:17 +0200, Mxsmanic
wrote:

Maybe. If I join the idle rich one day I might try it.

There aren't going to be many idle rich among this bunch. For one
thing, the rich aren't going to be interested in flying in a noisy,
cramped, slow machine decorated with cheap, crumbling Royalite. The
idle rich fly in jets decked out in exotic woods and fine upholstery,
with uniformed pilots and a staff to cater to their every whim. Those
of us who DO fly these noisy, cramped, slow machines constantly
scrimp, save, and scrounge to find some way to keep doing it. We
consider it a gross insult to have our scrimping and saving dismissed
as "idle rich."

Frequently, the idle rich go into politics, where they focus on making
life even more difficult for those of us who are trying to scrimp and
save.

That's apart from the question of whether there's really such a group
as "the idle rich." According to one economist's study, inherited
wealth only accounts for 9% of the net worth of the nation's richest
1%. The rest of them made it the old fashioned way, they earned it.

RK Henry
Old September 12th 06, 04:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Stefan

Thomas Borchert schrieb:

Please! Not you, too! Your "well defined turn error" does indeed lead to
the fact that the compass "willbriefly tend to continue moving after a
turn." Which is why I said yes to affirm that statement.

Ah, but no! Turn to the right and level your wings at 270°, and I accept
every bet that your compass will *not* continue to move. (Other than
shake with the turbulence, of course, and provided your bank angle
allowed it to move at all in the first place.) In fact, it has stopped
to move well before reaching 270°. Shall I add the second example?
(Nitpicking, but what else would you expect in r.a.p.)

Stefan

I Hate Radios Ron Wanttaja Home Built 9 June 6th 05 05:39 PM
AirCraft Radio Communications [email protected] Rotorcraft 0 November 13th 03 12:48 AM