Libelle

Old July 2nd 17, 01:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

Default Libelle

On Saturday, July 1, 2017 at 3:30:04 PM UTC-6, Jock Proudfoot wrote:

First, we need to see a picture of the Data Plate showing the Serial No

From the original eBay listing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Standard-Lib...047675 .l2557

Picture# 19.

You can also look at the FAA Registry and see that N3943 is still assigned to Std Libelle serial 214.

http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinqu...Numbertxt=3943

Steve Leonard
Old July 2nd 17, 11:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Sat, 01 Jul 2017 17:43:04 -0700, Steve Leonard wrote:

On Saturday, July 1, 2017 at 6:00:16 PM UTC-6, Martin Gregorie wrote:
On Sat, 01 Jul 2017 14:13:00 -0700, Ross wrote:

I bought a flyable libelle a few years back complete with cobra
trailer for $12,000 so the way I see it $8000 is excessive for what
it is in the state it is in Saying that, if you can do all the work
yourself and want it as a project and don't care about money then
sure, why not

I offered him less than $5200 for it. Had a reply but nothing that
told me he knew anything about gliders

I've had mine 11 years now, For some years their price seemed to stay
fairly constant but I see they're going up now: the going price in
Germany for an airworthy H.201 with trailer, FLARM and modern
instruments seems to be 17-18 K Euros.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie gregorie. | Essex, UK org |

Well, Martin, those have Cobra trailers, Streifeneder wing root fairings
and winglets. Along with a good, one color, bright white finish. This
one has none of these things.

Well, the one I saw in a Cobra was asking 22.5K Euros. The 17-18K gliders
others seem to have box trailers and did not have root fairings or tips
fitted.

Yes, I know that - and that its a relatively early 201B, which seems to
be missing the seat pan, the front wheelbox cover and the control stick
gaiter. The panel is sitting on the top of the trim leaf spring rather
than being in the sliders with the two (missing?) screws done up. There
appears to be corrosion on both the airbrake and undercarriage sliders
(certainly no oil or grease) so Who knows what else is wrong with it that
even a quick inspection would spot. The one positive think you can say is
that there's no balsa in the flying surfaces to rot (that had gone by
about s/n 137). Last but not least, the trailer needs quite a bit of work.

I think all I'm saying is that it looks to me like you could easily spend
the price difference getting it airworthy without fitting new varios,
radio and FLARM.

OTOH the price of Std Libelles in Europe seems to be on the rise though
I'm uncertain why except that they seem to be doing quite well in Club
class.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old July 2nd 17, 12:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ross[_3_]

There is one reason for the price rise, and that is the fact Streifeneder is about to launch the E-Libelle. Self launching electro motor. Looks cool even though it will be a very expensive mod.
Old July 2nd 17, 03:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
pjschae

Ross- Do you have a link to the E-Libelle information? Did not find it on streifly.de.
Old July 2nd 17, 08:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ross[_3_]

Sorry but a link seems impossible to find again. There was a pic of it on the Streifly webpage around Christmas time
Was talking to Christian Streifeneder about it the other day. The hardware side seems to be done and they were working on battery management

Will be interesting to see what it acutally costs when it is certified

Old July 11th 17, 09:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bertvaneyken

Bought my libelle 13j ago also from an 'importer', he even claimed someone flew it after he bought it. Not registered on a glider pilot nor any trace of the "testflight". Google cache and plain old Phone learned that he had bought te libelle €4500 less than he had it for sale.
By then he knew the gliding world is too small and he dropped the price to a reasonable level.

The e-libelle might indeed rise the price somewhat but the mod will be expensive anyway.

I overhauled my libelle, did the 4000hr check, fitted winglets and know them inside out ... but this one will need a LOT of work to look acceptable, not mentioning the parts to be replaced/overhauled. Only interesting if one wants to put a lot of his own time in it and enjoying a great old ship.
Old July 12th 17, 04:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

On Tuesday, July 11, 2017 at 3:22:19 PM UTC-5, bertvaneyken wrote:
Bought my libelle 13j ago also from an 'importer', he even claimed someone flew it after he bought it. Not registered on a glider pilot nor any trace of the "testflight". Google cache and plain old Phone learned that he had bought te libelle €4500 less than he had it for sale.
By then he knew the gliding world is too small and he dropped the price to a reasonable level.

The e-libelle might indeed rise the price somewhat but the mod will be expensive anyway.

I overhauled my libelle, did the 4000hr check, fitted winglets and know them inside out ... but this one will need a LOT of work to look acceptable, not mentioning the parts to be replaced/overhauled. Only interesting if one wants to put a lot of his own time in it and enjoying a great old ship.

Well, from eBay, we all know he gave $5200 for this one. If you look in the "Wanted" section on Wings and Wheels, it appears he mistakenly listed it there, likely within an hour of the auction ending. Time zones reported here and there make it hard to tell for sure, but it is the same day. Then, a week later, he lists it in the "Gliders for Sale" section at the "bargain" price of $8000. Did a really crappy job of lifting pictures from the eBay listing to put in his ad. He, too, will learn the soaring world is small, and will come to grips with getting rid of it before it costs him way too much. Wonder how long it will take the airport to start billing him for storage? Maybe they can be "encouraged"? :-)

Steve needs a Std Libelle... :-)

Old August 15th 17, 08:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

On Wednesday, July 12, 2017 at 2:19:54 AM UTC-5, Mike C wrote:

Steve needs a Std Libelle... :-)

LOL!

Dang it! It is no win the "Canceled. Not Sold" section. And I was just about ready to make him an offer...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znlxif61eGw
Old May 20th 18, 05:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Yeah hello all I'm the Brian Hutchinson that bid on the Libelle mentioned here. Found out at least supposedly that the tail boom had been sheared off. Damage history. I didn't follow through with purchase as such. Not because I wouldn't fly the ship with a professional repair having been conducted but because it seemed that was a deal breaker for most people. I understand that the soaring community is relatively small and that particular planes are more well known than the pilot that flies them. For anyone who cares I'm 32 and want severely to fly sailplanes. I am very low income and have been looking for planes to "flip" where I can then use any profit to fund training. It's pretty hard where I live to get a job and cost of living is one of the highest in California or the United States for that matter. I've seen discussions where in there was a back and forth on the costs of Soaring with some adamant that soaring is expensive and a rich mans sport while others confirm that the costs can be reasonable and on par with many other recreational activities. Not to get into symantics of cost of soaring or owning ones now sailplane all of you that want soaring as a status symbol you're safe with me don't worry... As for my desire to own a sailplane as a instrument to enjoy flying with Ive since found another Libelle for an even better price than the one I won the auction for on eBay but sadly it seems to have been also involved in an accident. I'm however going into extensive research in an attempt to determine airworthiness and if the ship can be determined as airworthy I'm not going to be "flipping" it unless it's while I'm flying the ship. And well there called loops and rolls not flips.

Libelle 201 canopy [email protected] Soaring 0 July 4th 16 02:03 PM
Club Libelle H 205 POH James Anderson Soaring 1 August 1st 12 07:33 PM
Libelle Wings Steve Leonard Soaring 1 March 1st 07 08:27 PM
Libelle Wings Thermaler Soaring 3 March 1st 07 04:18 PM
Standard Libelle Pam Kurstjens Soaring 4 May 22nd 05 05:40 PM