New Orleans Lakefront Airport

Old September 1st 05, 01:28 AM
iflyatiger

HELLO !!

Has anybody watched the tv lately? Do you see what those poor people are
going thru..

For them it is a life and death situation.. Maybe we (including me)
shouldn't be so concerned about the price of gas right now.

Not aimed at anyone in particular, just something to think about..

Old September 1st 05, 01:43 AM
Doug

Fill it with dirt. Raise the houses that can be saved on new
foundations. Make the skyscrapers bottom floor a basement. Then when it
happens again, it won't flood everything. And sure, make some canals
with longboats for the tourists while you are at it.
Might not be as crazy as it sounds. No higher terrain anywhere nearby
to move to.

Old September 1st 05, 02:32 AM
Frank Ch. Eigler

"Chris" writes:

"sfb" wrote:
[...] Some of this reporting has to be taken in context of the fog
of war. [...]

Fog of war - what crap!

No, just a literary technique called "metaphor".

- FChE
Old September 1st 05, 01:14 PM
Denny

We toured New Orleans in April... It was supposed to be a flying
vacation, but the weather (no surprise there) intervened and we
drove... The high spots on the expressway along the West and South
sides of Lake Ponchartrain that are now sticking out of the flood on
the TV News are roadways we drove along... From New Orleans we drove
the coast to Florida (and other places for 4,000 miles)... Many of the
bridges, highways and towns now in the news as destroyed we passed
through, some of the towns we stopped and visited, had lunch, etc.. I
get a knot in the pit of my stomach as I watch the video feeds on
CNN... It's a bit hard to comprehend emotionally, though
intellectually I understand...

If we were rational people we would forbid the flood areas of the
hurricane coast for towns, only allow by law dirt roads, grass runways,
and fish camps, and forbid any use of public monies for reconstruction
after a hurricane... But then, we are not rational and there is not a
politician alive with the cajones to bring it up... Instead, the
politicians will pour billions of tax dollars into reconstruction of
these disaster areas, people will flood back in, and down the road it
will all happen over again - and the tax payer who has the smarts to
live in a less scenic, boring, but more stable part of the country gets
to pay for it all over... And the billions spent reconstructing New
Orleans and the coastal flood plains, monies that should have been
spent for dredging the intercoastal waterways and harbors and rivers,
money that should have been spent on repairing the highways and the
deteriorating runways of municipal airports, monies that should have
been spent improving the National Parks, monies that should have been
spent on hospitals, monies that should have been spent on education,
monies that should have been spent securing the borders against illegal
penetration, monies that should have been spent insuring that not one
freighter enters a U.S. harbor before a complete inspection for
terrorist weapons, and on, and on; those monies will have been flushed
down the drain rebuilding roads, houses, skyscrapers, domes for
multimillionaire athletes who cannot complete a coherent sentence, and
of course levees to store water so it can flood New Orleans again,
someday...

Do you comprehend what even a fraction of 1% of what the politicians
are going to give away to rebuild this flood plain would do for GA if
applied to airports across the country? There would not be a crumbling
ramp or runway left in the country without a shiny, new, surface...
Every airstrip, no matter how humble, would have a GPS approach
plate... Real time weather feeds to the Garmin 396 in your airplane,
and your boat, and your car, would be free, no monthly charge...
Aviation charts would be mailed free of charge to every pilot with a
valid medical, upon request... And there would be money left over...
But then, we are not rational, as I mentioned..

denny

Old September 1st 05, 01:52 PM

Chris wrote:
"sfb" wrote in message news:QRoRe.17270$k32.335@trnddc08...
That won't be a problem as they need to repair Lake Pontchartrain levees
first since they pump into the lake.

Some of this reporting has to be taken in context of the fog of war. The
AP reports the I-10 bridge damage will shut down long haul east-west
traffic totally ignoring that I-12 bypasses New Orleans north of the lake.

Fog of war - what crap!

After 9/11 "experts" were saying that it could take years to clean up
Ground Zero. In the end it took about 9 months.

This is the country that built the Panama Canal and put men on the moon
in under a decade. *If* we actually agree on getting something done,
nobody does it faster than us.

-cwk.

Old September 1st 05, 03:36 PM
Jay Honeck

Do you comprehend what even a fraction of 1% of what the politicians
are going to give away to rebuild this flood plain would do for GA if
applied to airports across the country? There would not be a crumbling
ramp or runway left in the country without a shiny, new, surface...
Every airstrip, no matter how humble, would have a GPS approach
plate... Real time weather feeds to the Garmin 396 in your airplane,
and your boat, and your car, would be free, no monthly charge...
Aviation charts would be mailed free of charge to every pilot with a
valid medical, upon request... And there would be money left over...
But then, we are not rational, as I mentioned..

Well said, Denny. It is to weep...not for the lost, but for the ones who
"get it"...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old September 1st 05, 05:21 PM
Gig 601XL Builder

"iflyatiger" wrote in message
HELLO !!

Has anybody watched the tv lately? Do you see what those poor people are
going thru..

For them it is a life and death situation.. Maybe we (including me)
shouldn't be so concerned about the price of gas right now.

Not aimed at anyone in particular, just something to think about..

Yes the citizens of the New Orleans area are indeed suffering and there has
been many the off topic post here talking about helping them BUT the price
and availability of petro products is going to effect all of us including
them. There are some pretty bad worst case scenarios out there.

Old September 1st 05, 10:11 PM
Larry Dighera

On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 08:55:29 +0200, Martin Hotze
wrote in ::

Michelle P wrote:

I just go an email from Angel Flight Mid-Atlantic stating we may be
called to fly in supplies to the nearest suitable airport. Looks like I
may end up as part of the disaster response.

This is a heck of a good chance to show the public (and the media) the
worth of GA and those tiny spamcans.

Are you suggesting Michelle contact the national news media prior to
her Angel Flight flight(s)? Excellent idea.

Old September 1st 05, 10:28 PM
Dan Luke

"Hilton" wrote:

Just in from AFW: "I just recently was notified that AFSC and AFSE are
presently flying rescue workers into the impacted areas."

I haven't heard this from AFSE. They have a couple of missions for
stranded refugees, but that's it.

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old September 1st 05, 11:50 PM
Dan Luke

"Morgans" wrote:

We all need to start serious conservation, and NOW. To delay will
only make
things worse.

Agree. An easy conservation move is simply to slow down. I'm driving
55--being passed by heedless nitwits still doing 80--until the current
unpleasantness is over.

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Palo Alto airport, potential long-term problems... [email protected] Piloting 7 June 6th 05 11:32 PM
WI airport closure Mike Spera Owning 0 March 9th 05 01:53 PM
N94 Airport may expand into mobile home community, locals supportive William Summers Piloting 0 March 18th 04 03:03 AM
Rules on what can be in a hangar Brett Justus Owning 13 February 27th 04 05:35 PM