Chicken or the Egg? Hangar or Plane first?

Old September 26th 03, 11:04 PM
Javier Henderson

Ray Andraka writes:

After spending money every year on trim tab hinges, water damage and
corrosion, I am glad to finally be inside. The cost of a paint job every
5 years is only a small part of the cost of being tied down outside.

Indeed. Preflying the plane inside a hangar is much more pleasant.
Maintenance is easier, the windows last longer, less chances of
thieves stealing your radios, etc.

-jav
Old September 26th 03, 11:31 PM
David Megginson

Ray Andraka writes:

After spending money every year on trim tab hinges, water damage and
corrosion, I am glad to finally be inside. The cost of a paint job every
5 years is only a small part of the cost of being tied down outside.

Covers are important when you're outside. I keep a canvas canopy
cover on year round, and add a cowl cover, wing covers, and stabilator
cover in the winter (in the summer, I use cowl plugs and a tailcone
cover to keep the birds out). I've never left my plane overnight
without at least the canopy cover on.

All the best,

David
Old September 26th 03, 11:45 PM
Carl Orton

I'd go for the outside tie-down, but they're hard to find around the DFW
area. Too much / too frequent hail.

"John Galban" wrote in message
om...
"Carl Orton" wrote in message

Hi, All;

Seriously considering first purchase of an aircraft. In no rush. I'm
curious, though.... If you're in the plane-buying mood, when do you get

the
hangar/t-hangar/tie-down? Before you sign or as a condition of sale? Do

most
folks selling aircraft agree to wait until you can line up a parking

spot?

Many airports will not rent you a hangar unless you have the
N-number of the plane that will reside there. As for a seller waiting
for you to line up a parking spot, I've never heard of that happening.
Most folks I know just buy the airplane, get an outside tiedown, then
start looking for a permanent parking space. At my airport, it's a
good idea to get on the waiting list approximately 10 years before you
buy the airplane.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Old September 27th 03, 02:31 AM
David Megginson

"Carl Orton" writes:

I'd go for the outside tie-down, but they're hard to find around the
DFW area. Too much / too frequent hail.

Agreed -- that's something that would make me look for a hangar.

All the best,

David
Old September 27th 03, 05:57 AM
Neal

On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 17:45:50 -0500, "Carl Orton"
wrote:

I'd go for the outside tie-down, but they're hard to find around the DFW
area. Too much / too frequent hail.

Carl, would you consider Decatur too far to commute? Last I heard,
they still had T-hangar space open there. Bridgeport would be an even
more lengthy commute, but they always seem to have hangar space
available there. Gainesville might also be an option. Weatherford had
some "carport" type covered outside parking spaces open that last time
I was there.
Old September 27th 03, 01:54 PM
Dan Thompson

I've been based at Addison, TX for about 12 years, and have had every kind
of hangar. What I like is what I have now which is a "patio" hangar. The
roof keeps 99.9% of the rain off, 100% of the hail and 95% of the sun. The
line runs east and west so there is never any hot summer sun on it. It is
so easy to pull out of and push into. And it's half the price of an
enclosed hangar.

Old September 27th 03, 09:25 PM
Carl Orton

Guess I'll just keep looking and make some calls to find out if you need an
N-number first or not. Some of the recommendations are just 'way too far out
there to allow frequent flying.

Thanks for all the suggestions, though; good information!
Carl

Old September 28th 03, 05:44 PM
JerryK

Many airports will not rent you a hangar unless you have the
N-number of the plane that will reside there.

Here not only must you provide them a N number, but a copy of the FAA
registration with your name on it. This is to prevent someone from
sub-leasing