Need help converting .cup file to .dat file

Old May 22nd 13, 06:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
nimbus[_2_]

Default Need help converting .cup file to .dat file

Trying to find a link to a site that will convert my .cup waypoint file to a .dat file. I've tried the GPS babel site ( http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/gpsbabel/ ) with no luck unless I'm just selecting the wrong extension options.
Thanks for any help.
Old May 22nd 13, 10:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Willy VINKEN

Filename extensions are not unique (have a look at
http://www.filesuffix.com/).
In a soaring context, let's suppose that '.cup' is used with SeeYou,
and '.dat' files are to be uploaded to some Cambridge hardware.
In this case, both are actually '.txt' files with a specific suffix.
Change '.cup' and '.dat' to '.txt', and open them with Notepad (or
Wordpad, ou Word...).
This will show you how data are to be arranged and formatted.
Once you have the example, it is a simple matter to open the original
'.cup' file in Excel, (Open as 'Text file' [¨.prn;*txt;*csv]),
re-arrange data, concatenate them as required,
save the result as a '.txt' file and rename it to '.dat'.

Willy VINKEN

Old May 22nd 13, 11:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Le mercredi 22 mai 2013 07:17:15 UTC+2, nimbus a écrit*:
Trying to find a link to a site that will convert my .cup waypoint file to a .dat file. I've tried the GPS babel site ( http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/gpsbabel/ ) with no luck unless I'm just selecting the wrong extension options.

Thanks for any help.

Open the .cup file in SeeYou and save it in .dat format.
Old May 22nd 13, 01:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi,

You may want to check-out my SeeYou training videos related to importing and
exporting waypoint files he
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/train...raining-SeeYou - Specifically
videos 28 and 29

Good Soaring,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.
_____________________________________

Old May 22nd 13, 02:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
CLewis95

On Wednesday, May 22, 2013 12:17:15 AM UTC-5, nimbus wrote:
Trying to find a link to a site that will convert my .cup waypoint file to a .dat file. I've tried the GPS babel site ( http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/gpsbabel/ ) with no luck unless I'm just selecting the wrong extension options.

Thanks for any help.

The GPSVisualizer Utility you tried has worked for me many times. Make sure you are setting Input and Output selections as he

Type of GPS data you want to convert:
Input file format: See You flight analysis data [W]
Output file format: Cambridge/Winpilot glider software [W]

Curt - 95
Old May 22nd 13, 03:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
nimbus[_2_]

On Tuesday, May 21, 2013 10:17:15 PM UTC-7, nimbus wrote:
Trying to find a link to a site that will convert my .cup waypoint file to a .dat file. I've tried the GPS babel site ( http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/gpsbabel/ ) with no luck unless I'm just selecting the wrong extension options.

Thanks for any help.

Thanks all for you responses. Got it.
Old May 22nd 13, 04:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2KA

You can also use my website at http://www.soaringdata.info. Go to the "Aiports" tab and follow the first link. Upload your .dat file, and chose the "Don't add any airports" drop down option.

In addition to converting the file, it will also refresh information (like radio freqs) for US airports.

Lynn Alley
"2KA"
Old May 2nd 16, 04:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
xcnick

Old thread but I will ask anyways.

soaringdata.info and gpsbabel both eliminate the name, not good.

gpsvisualizer has the cambridge listed with a (T) as if it did tracks not waypoints. Cambridge/Winpilot glider software [W] not an option 2016
Old May 2nd 16, 04:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2KA

Hi xcnick,

Not sure what you mean by "eliminate the name". That certainly isn't usual behavior -- names are generally translated between formats just fine, as many pilots will attest.

Please contact me using the "Questions and Comments: link on http://www.soaringdata.info, and send me the .dat file you are working with and some detail regarding what is wrong. I bet I can help get it resolved.

Lynn Alley
"2KA"
Old May 2nd 16, 07:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
xcnick

Thanks, sent

Nevada's Great Basin data at the turnpoint exchange converting from .cup to .dat