Realflight G2

Old April 10th 04, 02:21 AM
old_codger

Default Realflight G2

Can anyone here talk to me abut the Realflight G2 flight sim. First, I need
a review as to it's
realism as it applies to flight charactaristics of heli's (and planks) but
mostly heli's.
I googled it and only came up with 2 reviews. One was negative and one was
on the Reflight
web page (biased proably). Personally, I really like the sim, but is it
realistic to an actual RC copter?

Also, the interface has 3 switches and a knob. I'm a bit confused about
these.
1. The knob. Blade pitch? I see no real change when this is turned.

2. Throttle hold toggle switch. Doesn't hold throttle. Actually cuts it so
if I am in a hover and hit this switch
I come down fast. Returning switch to original position returne me to hover
power.

3. Dual rate switch. I think I have this one figure out.

4. Most confusing switch to me.. The G2 manual lists it as Idle up but I
seem to feel that it is a flight mode switch.
What is this for? It's a 3 position toggle switch amd I can't figure out
what it does.
The only efect I get from this switch is when I am in an inverted over of
inverted flight.
If the switch is in the top or bottom position, the engine quits (or maybe
just the main rotor stops) after a few seconds.
In the center position and while inverted everything keeps spinning ang I
can remain inverted as long as I like

Help me out here??
Many thanks,
OC

Old April 10th 04, 08:30 PM
Sean Trost

Old Codger
Coupla things

The throttle Hold switch is actually doing what its supposed to do.
Model Helicopters mix the throttle and collective pitch automatically.
So when you hit the Hold switch it sends the motor to low throttle and
allows you to manipulate the collective with out changing the throttle.
Allows you to practice autorotations without acttually shutting the
motor down.

The Idle up switch is actually a flight mode switch. you should be able
to set the throttle/pitch curve to allow three modes.
Basic mode - the throttle is linked to the collective
aerobatic mode - throttle is linked to collective with more throw to the
pitch.
3d mode - throttle is set in a high power mode and the collective is
decoupled from it. Also collective pitch is maximized to +- 10-15 deg.
this allows those wild aerobatics.

The rotating knob I guess would be the gyro gain. Do you notice any
difference in tail rotor athority when you manipulate the knob ?

all the best
Sean

Old April 12th 04, 02:19 AM
old_codger

"Sean Trost" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Your explanation is very clear...thank you.

I'll have to check on thr TR authority and the knob. I haven't checked on
that.

Old April 12th 04, 07:32 PM
Bastian

As for realism it's not the most realistic out there, that's for sure.
Hovering isnt bad, but it "feels" very different when flying around.
It will build in you the proper reflexes though as stick and
orientation are the most useful aspects of using a sim.

Flying in real life is just different because it's harder to see
orientation and a lot more scarey when youre life and money is on the
line. You tend to "freeze" a lot more in real life when you get into
problems.

I think the scale Commanche helicopter in FMS feels very realistic
with it's weight and momentum athough it wont do 3d very well.
Old April 17th 04, 08:54 AM
Mark Seery

The rotating knob I guess would be the gyro gain. Do you notice any
difference in tail rotor athority when you manipulate the knob ?

No idea about helis but in G2, the rotating control knob is commonly used to
operate flaps on fixed wing aircraft. Take a look at the actual aircraft
description in the select aircraft box. It should tell you the assignments
for each aircraft.

MS