Myth: 1 G barrel rolls are impossible.

Old June 13th 07, 06:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_2_]

Default Myth: 1 G barrel rolls are impossible.

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

Robert M. Gary writes:

Do you believe that a pilot at the top of a loop can experience
possitive G's?

Absolutely.

You'll never ever do a loop fjukkwit.

Bertie
Old June 13th 07, 12:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Viperdoc[_4_]

That's the point you idiot- there is no change in direction during a
vertical roll.

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
Viperdoc writes:

Think about it- a roll on the vertical does not apply any g to the
airplane.

Any change in direction accelerates the airplane, and thus applies Gs to
it.

During a vertical roll there is no acceleration in the z or y axes.

Any change in direction accelerates the airplane.

Old June 13th 07, 05:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

Got it. What happens to the g force acting on me as a pilot if I start
in straight and level, unaccelerated flight, and then I use down
elevator and enter a descent?

On Jun 13, 12:56 am, Mxsmanic wrote:
writes:
What happens to the g force acting on me as a pilot if I start in
straight and level, unaccelerated flight, and then I initiate a
coordinated turn?

The net force increases, as it results from both that induced by gravity
(which is constant) and that induced by your acceleration torwards the center
of the turn. In a coordinated, level turn, the force vector will be normal to
the airframe, and so you will have the impression that you are climbing
initially; when you finish the turn you'll have the impression that you are
descending briefly. This assumes that you keep your head level with the
wings.

Old June 13th 07, 05:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Jon

On Jun 13, 7:15 am, "Viperdoc" wrote:
That's the point you idiot- there is no change in direction during a
vertical roll.

Kinda like trying to run underwater, isn't it?

Making the point, that is

Old June 13th 07, 07:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mxsmanic

Viperdoc writes:

That's the point you idiot- there is no change in direction during a
vertical roll.

You cannot change the attitude, direction, altitude, etc., of the aircraft
without changing its direction in some plane, and that requires acceleration.
Old June 13th 07, 08:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

Interesting. So if I enter a coordinated turn, the G force increases.
If I enter a descent, the G force decreases.

What happens if I do both of these things simultaneously?

On Jun 13, 2:31 pm, Mxsmanic wrote:
writes:
Got it. What happens to the g force acting on me as a pilot if I start
in straight and level, unaccelerated flight, and then I use down
elevator and enter a descent?

As you descend, you are accelerated downward. This acceleration is subtracted
from the constant acceleration imposed by gravity. If your acceleration
downward is less than 1.0 G, you experience a diminished G force, unchanged in
direction. If it is equal to 1.0 G (which would be quite a feat), you will
experience no G force at all. If it is greater than 1.0 G (unlikely indeed),
you'll feel a negative G force tending to lift you out of your seat. These
changes persist only for as long as you are accelerating downward; once you
are descending at a steady rate, you will again experience exactly 1.0 G.

Old June 13th 07, 08:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
El Maximo

wrote in message
oups.com...
Interesting. So if I enter a coordinated turn, the G force increases.
If I enter a descent, the G force decreases.

What happens if I do both of these things simultaneously?

Blue Screen of Death?

Old June 13th 07, 10:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
mike regish

Why?

mike