New GOES 17 Satellite

Old December 30th 18, 09:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Duster[_2_]

Default New GOES 17 Satellite

For those that use NASA/NOAA satellite imagery, there's a new one ready to launch in early 2019. Similar to GOES 16 last year, GOES 17 should provide an improvement in products including high spatial and temporal resolution (1min; sub 1km?). The testing phase is nearly complete; for early access: https://www.goes-r.gov/multimedia/da...esGoes-17.html Note, however, that the after-launch service of GOES 16, the resolution was a bit downgraded and might be the case here. Maybe our Dr. Wx can weigh in?

Related: Anyone know how to upload semi real-time imagery where cell service is not available? Garmin offers some Sirius XM receivers, but not sure if one can get high-res GOES with it.

[Unrelated FYI: A few months ago GlobalStar finally came out with the new "SPOT X" sat messenger. Early reviews can be found on youtube. Debate on which satellite constellation is better in servicing Garmin InReach v Globalstar Spot]
Old December 31st 18, 12:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim White[_3_]

=
launch in early 2019. Similar to GOES 16 last year, GOES 17 should

provide
=
an improvement in products including high spatial and temporal resolution
(=
tps://www.goes-r.gov/multimedia/dataAndImageryImagesGoes-17.html Note,
howe=
ver, that the after-launch service of GOES 16, the resolution was a bit
dow=
ngraded and might be the case here. Maybe our Dr. Wx can weigh in?

Related: Anyone know how to upload semi real-time imagery where cell
servic=
e is not available? Garmin offers some Sirius XM receivers, but not sure
if=
one can get high-res GOES with it.

[Unrelated FYI: A few months ago GlobalStar finally came out with the new
"=
SPOT X" sat messenger. Early reviews can be found on youtube. Debate on
whi=
ch satellite constellation is better in servicing Garmin InReach v
Globalst=
ar Spot]

Very interesting. Can anyone explain the significance of the Magnesium II
Index? I note it has cycle of roughly 10 years and has trended down over
the last 40 years.
Jim

Old December 31st 18, 04:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Duster[_2_]

Mg II as measured by GOES is used as a proxy in the study of solar spectral irradiance variability . .....hey wait a minute, you just climate-bated me! Methinks you're well-informed on atmospheric physics. Let me tell you this; I believe in climate!

GOES-16 Satellite images [email protected] Soaring 1 December 19th 17 06:57 AM
satellite phones ND Soaring 3 March 23rd 17 07:53 PM
Satellite wx competition john smith Piloting 0 February 10th 06 03:03 AM
New satellite viewer available Stubby Instrument Flight Rules 9 July 7th 05 11:48 AM
Satellite photos Chris W Piloting 3 September 2nd 04 06:49 AM